Duquesne

How do you beat the bottom of the barrel by only 6?

Easy they wanted to win more than we did. Good news is we decided to play halfway through the firsthalf.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;158024]How do you beat the bottom of the barrel by only 6?[/QUOTE]

There are several ways:

Make 2 three pointers; 1 three pointer, 1 two pointer and 1 free throw; 1 three pointer and 3 free throws; 2 two pointer and 4 free throws, 1 two pointer and 4 free throws; 6 free throws.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;158024]How do you beat the bottom of the barrel by only 6?[/QUOTE]

They outrebounded us 35-30.

Almost all of our 13 turnovers became layups or dunks at the other end.

They have the leading scorer in the A-10, who got away with numerous forearm shivers to get himself open. He scored 23 points.

They had two guys, both who were 29% from three point land going into the game, shoot 63% combined last night. One was a 6’9" post player. Go figure.

They made 11 of their 12 free throws.

“They had two guys, both who were 29% from three point land going into the game, shoot 63% combined last night. One was a 6’9” post player. Go figure."

Has anyone else noticed that EVERY team we play seems to put on a 3-point shooting clinic? I wonder if it has anything to do with defense?

A 6-point win against a pathetic opponent says volumes about the character of this team.

They played unfocused last night. Lutz said they were hungover and disappointed by the SLU loss, and I believe him (the TO’s screamed it). They got up by 18, and I said, “ok now let’s get the margin to 20 and put this game away”, but the team just didnt have the focus to step on the Dukes throats last night so we walked away with an unimpressive victory. End of story.

That effort won’t cut it this Saturday or next weekend, and I’m absolutely sure the guys know that. Let’s stop bashing them and ENCOURAGE them to bring some intensity for the GW game & beyond.

Just in case some of us have forgotten what the word means:

[QUOTE][B]en·cour·age/B Pronunciation Key (n-kûrj, -kr-)
tr.v. en·cour·aged, en·cour·ag·ing, en·cour·ag·es

[I]To inspire with hope, courage, or confidence; hearten.
To give support to; foster: [/I][/QUOTE]

They tend to always get out rebounded. It isnt anything new. But you know what you play for the W, not for how much you get the W by. One or 100, its a win. Look at the Zags they are in a horrible conference and they dont win by a lot, but they win. Thats all you have to do. Sorry if you lost your bet last night cause we didnt cover the 21 point spread!:weep:

Miss the extra point?

Tintin

Curt was cool at the FT line last night. I thought he had improved greatly. Just imagine if he only made 45% last night. The story may be different.

Our opponents love playing in Halton. It’s sooo non-threatening now. I love having personally witnessed the 50+ win streak we had at home in the '70s. The Mine Shaft (aka Belk Gym)was small, but it ROCKED opponents to hell and back. Of course we had the talent to make it so vs teams not in our “league”. I love Halton and if we get the talent befitting the place it will rock too, like it did during the sincy games.

“Take Back Our HomeCourt Advanage”

Seriously, that needs to be our mission next year, and not some lame marketing slogan. From the fans to the players, I don’t ever wanna see another borderline .500 home record again.

“Sorry if you lost your bet last night cause we didnt cover the 21 point spread!”

if you thought we would cover a 21 pt spread you deverved to lose your money."

NA i was thinking of something along the lines “Keep Carolina Green”

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;158154]“Take Back Our HomeCourt Advanage”

Seriously, that needs to be our mission next year, and not some lame marketing slogan. From the fans to the players, I don’t ever wanna see another borderline .500 home record again.[/QUOTE]

[B]2005-2006 Home Losses[/B]

11/23/2005 Home L 38-53 vs. #109 Mississippi St
12/10/2005 Home L 77-80 vs. #192 Valparaiso
12/19/2005 Home L 54-71 vs. #36 Indiana
1/14/2006 Home L 65-78 vs. #66 Xavier
1/21/2006 Home L 69-83 vs. #5 Geo Washington
2/25/2006 Home L 74-77 vs. #97 St Louis

I know this has been discussed before, but none of the home losses were to patsies. We played horrible against MSU, and let the Valpo game slip away. The other 4 losses were to good teams. Xavier looked like world beaters before they lost Finn and Thornton. If we have different refs for the SLU game, I think we win that one. I think we get some that “home court advantage” back next year simply because our Halton opponents will not be as strong as these teams.

[B]2006-2007 Home Opponents (Known)[/B]

Georgia State
Dayton
LaSalle - minus Steven Smith
St. Joe’s - should be improved
Richmond
St. Bonnie
Fordham
UMass
George Washington

Other than GW, none of those teams scare me as of now. Fordham and St. Joe’s won’t be pushovers, but we should beat them. My guess is that we’ll have to get some lower-teired teams to come play us at our place to round out our home schedule. Thus, I think with our schedule at Halton we will get back to par in terms of home court success provided the team plays as I expect they will.

I thought I heard something about carolina comming to town next year?

[QUOTE=Gill2003;158189]I thought I heard something about carolina comming to town next year?[/QUOTE]

See this thread for who we’re trying to line up:

[URL=http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12430&highlight=Schedule][B][U][COLOR=DarkGreen]NinerNation.net: Next Year’s Schedule[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL]

If we add UNCW and an SEC or ACC team, our home slate will be tougher than it appears right now. The Wake return game is in 07-08, but at Bobcats Arena and not at Halton.