earnest watson

6’7" 180 lbs. juco small forward for class of 2010. apparently us and marist have offered. has some big time schools as schools of interest. also of note. another guy that has us listed as a school of interest for 2010 is kenyan harmon. for those of you who dont remember him. he originally committed to us a couple years ago, then decommitted, then committed again, then decommitted.

any links?

6'7" 180 lbs. juco small forward for class of 2010. apparently us and marist have offered. has some big time schools as schools of interest. also of note. another guy that has us listed as a school of interest for 2010 is kenyan harmon. for those of you who dont remember him. he originally committed to us a couple years ago, then decommitted, then committed again, then decommitted.

not another juco!

:49ers:

There is nothing wrong with jucos, I would prefer to see more 4 year players though. If we had some solid four year players come in (some like Basden, Withers, Thomas, etc.) it wouldn’t be so bad but when all we get are jucos and fill-in with 4 year players that are not exceptional talented then I have a problem. I am a little aggreviated with getting my hopes up only to see the players leave 2 years later.

[QUOTE=JLaw25;386206]not another juco!

:49ers:[/QUOTE]

Jucos are ok as long as they augment the 4 yr players and serve as role players. If we expect jucos to star for our team yera end and year out then we are in trouble. Mack and Coley would have beeen great additions to a team with a core 4 year group.

Jucos are ok as long as they augment the 4 yr players and serve as role players. If we expect jucos to star for our team yera end and year out then we are in trouble. Mack and Coley would have beeen great additions to a team with a core 4 year group.

You make a great point. I was excited about this season b/c of how well Mack and Coley performed last year, then the injury bug it and now this season has become a waste.

Next year we start over again, minus Mack and Coley (2 proven players), with a group that has not played in regular season action. Jucos are nice but I want to see the days of good/great 4 year players, who stay 4 years, and help a team develop.

I miss being in college and watching my Niners (Plavich, Baldwin, Basden, Withers, Goldwire, etc.) :unhappy:

[QUOTE=UNCCShannon;386216]I miss being in college and watching my Niners (Plavich, Baldwin, Basden, Withers, Goldwire, etc.) :unhappy:[/QUOTE]

Plavich might as well been a Juco guys (2yrs) and now we are dealing with the same situation with Spears. In the past though Jucos and transfers have served us well - guys like Plavich, Kenkay Jones, Galen Young, James Zimmerman, Sean Colson and others have come in a lifted this program. Just sucks to only have them for 2 years. The major difference then and now is that those Jucos were playing with a core group of 4 year guys and were brought in to fill holes in the roster.

I just get aggravated when people start saying jucos are worthless and a waste of a scholarship. That shows a lack of understanding of our past. Jucos can and will play a role on this team. We just need a stronger recruiting and a little more luck with our 4 year guys.

Transfers are different than Juco’s because they have 1 year to practice with the team before their 2 years begin. JUCO’s have 2 years and 2 years only. They have no year of practice to get in sync with their new team. Not only that, but transfers often have D1 playing experience whereas the JUCO’s have spent 2 years playing largely against scrubs.

[QUOTE=Niner National;386227]Transfers are different than Juco’s because they have 1 year to practice with the team before their 2 years begin. JUCO’s have 2 years and 2 years only. They have no year of practice to get in sync with their new team. Not only that, but transfers often have D1 playing experience whereas the JUCO’s have spent 2 years playing largely against scrubs.[/QUOTE]

I understand what you are saying but that doesn’t change the fact that they only play for us for two years and that they are still taking the place of a traditional 4 year player.

Transfers are different than Juco's because they have 1 year to practice with the team before their 2 years begin. JUCO's have 2 years and 2 years only. They have no year of practice to get in sync with their new team. Not only that, but transfers often have D1 playing experience whereas the JUCO's have spent 2 years playing largely against scrubs.
Pretty much. Coley's not a bad player, but wasn't he one of the top rated Jucos?

Transfers are a lot more proven than Jucos because of the level of competition. I don’t regret having Mack and Coley on our team, but look at Coleman… huge letdown imo. I’d much rather have a 4 year player if we can get one, but sometimes we don’t have a chance.

We will (hopefully) have KJ and Braswell for 4 years, Spears for 2 years, and Wilderness and Dewhurst at SF for two years. I don’t see why we need another SF. I’d much rather see us recruiting a point guard for next year and another one as a class for 2010 to split minutes for whoever replaces Harris. Or heck, even a center. Forward should be our most stacked position right now. If we get a forward that’s a class of 2010… I’d rather it be a 4 year player.

we need a center for when phil leaves.

I’m sure Bobby has a good idea of if Phil will get a 4th year or not. If we start seeing our name pop up on the lists of centers for 2010, chances are Phil is probably not getting a 4th year.

Phil probably won’t start next year anyway, so I don’t see the big deal with people crying for a Center.

Yea, Phil’s value is through the roof this year because we have an extremely thin frontline, but next year, Spears and Braswell both are as big as they are tall, so it shouldn’t be as much as a problem handling guys like Frease or Nivins in the post.

Phil will certainly see his time, but we will be in much better shape defensively on our frontline than this year.

If we play 6’6 Shamari Spears at center, we might as well leave the A-10 and join the SoCon. A team in a major conference should NEVER start a player under 6’8 (and even that is being generous) at center. From what I’ve read, Braswell is nothing special athletically. Phil may indeed get the start so that we don’t lose the tip every game.

Frease is 7 feet tall, he’d eat Shamari alive if paired up against him.

[QUOTE=Niner National;386308]If we play 6’6 Shamari Spears at center, we might as well leave the A-10 and join the SoCon. A team in a major conference should NEVER start a player under 6’8 (and even that is being generous) at center. From what I’ve read, Braswell is nothing special athletically. Phil may indeed get the start so that we don’t lose the tip every game.

Frease is 7 feet tall, he’d eat Shamari alive if paired up against him.[/QUOTE]

agreed. never underestimate the importance of having at least one semi-talented big man. i dont want braswell playing center. he would be a nightmare for other power forward but at center i think it would take away from his game if he was matched up against a guy like frease.

[QUOTE=Niner National;386308]If we play 6’6 Shamari Spears at center, we might as well leave the A-10 and join the SoCon. A team in a major conference should NEVER start a player under 6’8 (and even that is being generous) at center. From what I’ve read, Braswell is nothing special athletically. Phil may indeed get the start so that we don’t lose the tip every game.

Frease is 7 feet tall, he’d eat Shamari alive if paired up against him.[/QUOTE]

Id say this dunk by Braswell shows he is athletic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZpAB93GYKk

He didn’t really do anything that shows spectacular athleticism. It was a nice dunk for sure, but all he did was dunk the ball with a relatively open lane. He dunked the ball with ease, as any 6’8 guy should do, but he certainly didn’t show anything that sets him aside from any other 6’8 guy.

He didn't really do anything that shows spectacular athleticism. It was a nice dunk for sure, but all he did was dunk the ball with a relatively open lane. He dunked the ball with ease, as any 6'8 guy should do, but he certainly didn't show anything that sets him aside from any other 6'8 guy.
It's something Mack would never do :o
I understand what you are saying but that doesn't change the fact that they only play for us for two years and that they are still taking the place of a traditional 4 year player.

Agreed, but my big point about the team that was there while I was a student was the fact that 4 of the 5 starters were 4 year players. Plavich was the only transfer. I don’t mind Jucos/transfers, I just want 4 year players.

[QUOTE=contemptor;386371]It’s something Mack would never do :o[/QUOTE]

Ha. True, but Mack is the anti-athlete. If we could have just combined Coley’s athleticism with Mack’s big man skills, we would have had a helluva player. Those two are about as different as 6’7’’ forwards can get…

My brother asked me just yesterday after watching the X game who our “out of shape big guy 3 pt shooter” was…I’m not making this up.