East Carolina to hire Terry Holland as AD

Reflector.com: Holland expected to take ECU job

It’s official…

ECUPirates.com: Terry Holland Named East Carolina Athletics Director

Welcome home!

The Observer really did the least they could do in reporting Holland’s hiring at ECU, which probably would have been even smaller if not for his ACC tenure at UVa.

Charlotte.com: E. Carolina gets Virginia blood [NOTE: have to login, etc.]

The only mention his local connections is this: Holland moved to Davidson, his alma mater, as athletics director.

Sort of left out some other tidbits…

[b]Holland graduated from Davidson in 1964 after a stellar career on the basketball team. He scored 1,067 points in his three seasons on the varsity squad, averaging 13.7 points per game. The first recruit of Lefty Driesell, Holland led the nation by shooting 63.1 percent from the floor as a senior.

After graduating, Holland served as an assistant coach for Driesell for five seasons. He then replaced Driesell for the 1969-70 season and held the head coaching job for another five years. Holland posted a record of 92-43 (.681) with the Wildcats, taking the squad to the NCAA Tournament in 1970. In each of his first three seasons, he was named the SoCon Coach of the Year.[/b]

Davidson.edu: Terry Holland ’ 64 Named Athletics Director at East Carolina

Yep, that’s great reporting. Still waiting for anything on Michael Beasley… :rolleyes:

BTW, I can’t remember exactly which year it was (early ‘70s), but I remember as a middle-schooler going to the old Charlotte Coliseum (now Cricket Arena) and watching a Terry Holland-coached Davidson team put another good ol’ Mecklenburg County butt-whooping on an 11th-ranked South Carolina team that included future NBAers Brian Winters and Alex English.

The Observer ran the announcement yesterday and a story today. I couldn’t get logged in to see if the hard-copy and online versions are the same.

Somewhat interesing tidbit: One of Holland’s daughter’s (fairly hot) hung out at Highland Creek pool when I managed it in 91-93. She was supposed to get me a pair of Ralph Sampson’s shoes that they supposedly had laying around the house. She never did. (I was actually a UVA fan growing up brainwashed on the ACC).

Wh-wh-what? Lefty managing Highland Creek’s pool? I was a lifeguard there, but not until 98? Best job I ever had, definitely some MILFS at Highland Creek! :stuck_out_tongue:

[i]Originally posted by Iron9er[/i]@Sep 9 2004, 09:53 AM [b] Wh-wh-what? Lefty managing Highland Creek's pool? I was a lifeguard there, but not until 98? Best job I ever had, definitely some MILFS at Highland Creek! :P [/b]
Yep, that's when it first opened. There were only about 200 homes then, very few on the golf course. I worked out a deal to play for free in the evenings. It was awesome. Do you happen to know Gary Travis (son Ryan). They had no affiliation to the university when they moved to the area. Now, they are season ticket holders and big fans. I taught Ryan how to swim. He's 15 now. :o Man, I'm getting old.
[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Sep 9 2004, 10:24 AM [b]Man, I'm getting old.[/b]
Let's see -- as a student in junior high school, I saw a Davidson-South Carolina game in the early 70s. Let's see, that makes me... :doh: