Eddie Basden being discussed on Terps Board

I found this while looking for amnesiac’s lead. Nice to know that not all of their fans are jerks:

[b]Comment for: Eleanor Roosevelt grad Eddie Basden

Smokefree
The Voice of Reason

Eleanor Roosevelt grad Eddie Basden

Posted: 12/11/04 10:35:47 pm

There was a lot of talk about Maryland offering him a scholarship several years ago. He was quoted as saying that he loved the Terrapins, and really wanted to play here.

Its always good to see that kind of player have a great career, even if it couldnt work out for him to play at Maryland.

He was voted Conference USA’s defensive player of the year last year ,and scored the game winning points in a win over Syracuse AT Syrucase:

charlotte49ers.collegespo…die00.html

“North Carolina is First in Flight, because Maryland is First in Pursuit”

wink23
Starter
Re: Eleanor Roosevelt grad Eddie Basden
Posted: 12/11/04 10:49:23 pm

Though this is one of the more random threads, I’ll add that Basden is a very good all around player and could joing D. West in the NBA, though he is a tweener and I don’t know if he’s a good enough shooter/ballhandler.

Thing is, Basden was the bigger name of the two during HS if I recall correctly. West kind of came out of the shadows to be the All Met POY his sr. year.

TerpFan4Life95
Starter
Posted: 12/11/04 11:40:17 pm

Funny thing is Eddie Never played D in high school

Smokefree
The Voice of Reason

Posted: 12/11/04 11:46:23 pm

Quote:

Funny thing is Eddie Never played D in high school

Probably why Gary didnt offer him.

He also leads Conference USA in 3 point shooting.

Sounds like a great player.

I think about him a lot, because he was one of those heralded local recruits, like Omari Isreal or Marshall Strickland, that many of the fans who post were screaming for Gary to offer–yet we never did.

He stands out because he was so unabashedly pro-Maryland. Some of the people on Keith’s site used to post that they felt Basden was a “lock” for the NBA, and routinely urged Gary to offer him a scholarship.

Maybe not the NBA, but he is having an excellent career down in Charlotte. Sounds like he’s a star of Conference USA.

You know, the conference with George Washington?

“North Carolina is First in Flight, because Maryland is First in Pursuit”

TerpFan4Life95
Starter
Posted: 12/12/04 12:08:16 am

his sat scores is what didnt get him offered, hes like a bigger, better jumping mccray. A glue type guy.

neal990
All-Conference

Posted: 12/12/04 12:28:52 am

I remember some of the Charlotte fans acting as if it was a huge deal they got him “over” us because they thought we were really recruiting him hard or something.
That’s crap. Mars is wild, untamed! I’m forming a cadre of Martian knights, charged with enforcing Martian law

Smokefree
The Voice of Reason

Posted: 12/12/04 12:44:09 am

You know, if the fact that his SAT scores kept him out of Maryland makes more high school players study, then it was probably worth it.

We all love Chris McCray, but Basden sounds like he’s really been a warrior for Charlotte.[/b]

[b]I found this while looking for amnesiac's lead. Nice to know that not all of their fans are jerks:[/b]

One wonders if they could say the same when reading your posts.

[i]Originally posted by Pino Pipes Jr.[/i]@Dec 12 2004, 10:10 PM [b] One wonders if they could say the same when reading your posts. [/b]
I'll be the bigger guy here, and help you out. For starters, consult this prior to making that statement:

[b]He also leads Conference USA in 3 point shooting.[/b]

:blink:

Wouldn’t you think MAryland fans who are diehard enough to spend time on a message board would know that GW a school that just kicked their ass and is no more than 10 miles from them, plays basketball in the A-10 NOT Conference USA???

[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er[/i]@Dec 13 2004, 09:39 AM [b] Wouldn't you think MAryland fans who are diehard enough to spend time on a message board would know that GW a school that just kicked their ass and is no more than 10 miles from them, plays basketball in the A-10 NOT Conference USA??? [/b]
What? There'a another conference besidse the ACC?!!! Wow! :rolleyes: :P

Wow, I never knew Maryland fans were that stupid. :smiley:

I’m not sure if this was mentioned but Eddie was actually headed to UMASS before deciding on Charlotte.

Any talk of Michael Beasley on that board? Top 5 in the country 2007 passing on local schools GW, Gtown, Maryland and coming to Charlotte. :thumbsup:

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Dec 13 2004, 03:09 PM [b] I'm not sure if this was mentioned but Eddie was actually headed to UMASS before deciding on Charlotte.

Any talk of Michael Beasley on that board? Top 5 in the country 2007 passing on local schools GW, Gtown, Maryland and coming to Charlotte. :thumbsup: [/b]

i’ll believe it when i see him in a Charlotte uniform… lets just hope the NBA doesn’t get him

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Dec 13 2004, 02:09 PM [b] I'm not sure if this was mentioned but Eddie was actually headed to UMASS before deciding on Charlotte.

[/b]

Eddie actually signed with UMass but was released from his LOI after Bruiser Flint was let go as coach.