All things guitar etc 🎸

Axl is my favorite front man and in his prime he was a wild man on stage. 40 years of his style of singing has taken a toll on his voice, especially with the higher ranges. I saw them a few years ago and he sounded good that night. They still put on a great show but Slash is the star of their shows.

Stevie Ray crawls over two hookers to get out of bed takes a hit of Jack and does a quick line puts on his fur coat and shows up 10 minutes later at sound check. Takes a quick yawn and then

1 Like

Didn’t he used take his coffee with whiskey and cocaine mixed in? He got sober then dies in a helicopter crash

clt says whiskey and coffee sounds awful. no need for the coffee

See that GNR will perform at the Spectrum Center on August 29th.

1 Like

Got to thinking about some of the things I have witnessed while attending concerts as pertains to the bands themselves. Ronnie Van Zandt being taken off stage on a stretcher probably top of the list. Then there was a quite intoxicated Faces stumbling in for their opening number - wasn’t always sure if it was an act or real but decided the latter many years later after reading keyboard player Ian McLagan’s autobiography!

Looks like the wife and I may be making a trip down to Charlotte in August.

My first concert ever was Poison. This was back in high school. Tesla was the opening act and probably better. Anyway, during “Nothing But a Good Time”, Bret Michaels started off by singing the second verse first. It was funny as crap, the band was probably hammered, but recovered pretty quick.

1 Like

I saw Ted Nugent at an outdoor festival. Before he came out the announcer came on the mic and said that unfortunately Ted had an accident with his chainsaw on his farm and could not play. Crowd started getting restless and agitated when all of a sudden there was a spotlight on Mr. Gonzo himself The Motor City Madman on top of his amps. He proceeded to swing down on a rope in a full white body suit with tails and land hard and bust his stitches open and played a 90 minute set with blood soaking throughout.

I said above the canyon walls…

https://images.app.goo.gl/BntvBpTfpY7y9kpp8

1 Like

My favorite Nugent story is when he crapped his pants to avoid the military

1 Like

Seen some crazy things thru the years. A lot in the 80’s.

Saw Kansas in a bar in Hickory when they were on the way out. Lead singer went to jump and crowd surf and everyone in crowd stepped out of the way and he face planted onto the concrete floor.

Saw the Robinson brotheres Chris and Rich of the Black Crowes get into it on stage in Charlotte club.

Saw lead singer of the Bodeans take his mic stand and swing and hit security guard in the head with it for harrasing a girl trying to get on stage to dance.

Saw David Lee Roth get pulled into the crowd at Greensboro during aint talking about love and guys that looked like coke machines with heads attached run full speed and jump into the crowd and used the fans to break their fall. They pulled DLR back on stage and 2 girls besides me had blonde clumps of his hair in their hands. Got pics of that somewhere.

Saw David Allen Coe at the Palimno Club and the Outlaws motorcycle gang he led was the security. DAC was drunk and did not sing any of his songs was doing all covers and if anyone said anything the Outlaws would fuck you up. Left early that night.

Back in the day people would buy upper level tickets to shows at Greensboro and bring ropes or their shirts and hang down and then drop into lower level when the lights went down. Mothers Finest, Molly Hatchet and the Outlaws were on the bill. When the people would start to hang down the cops came along and cut the ropes snd people crashed into lower levels. That was crazy.

Brought a girl to REO Speedwagon whose Dad I was terrified of. We were on the front row. A roadie came out when they were playing 157 Riverside and slapped a back stage pass on her and pulled her backstage. I freaked out and had to wait till show was over. No one would let me backstage. Finally had to get a cop to let me get backstage and get her. If she would have made it back to the hotel with the band I knew I was a dead man.

Alright got more but last one. Billy Squier was playing Greensboro and an ice storm hit. It was really bad but they did not cancel the show. Somehow we made it there but only about 500 people were stupid enough to make it. They let everyone down on the floor general admission style and we were on the front row. Billy Squier was drunk and said since we were only ones brave enough to make it we were just going to have a big personal party. They were passing joints down thru the crowd and lots of people were sharing airplane liquor bottles. Billy let people on stage to sing with him and my brother got on stage and sang Stroke me Stroke me. Lol. When the show was over they announced his hotel room and we went back to the Holiday Inn and partied with his band. Got pics of that somewhere too.

I hate shows have gotten so corporate and expensive. It used to be just be a big ol party in the 80s. Different times no doubt.

1 Like

That story is so HICKORY! I bet some of those dudes went to Fred T Foard

ZZ Top’s World Wide Texas Tour - May ‘76
Hells Angels and some marines get in a brawl on the field at Groves Stadium right beside me. Marine is kicking ass until a knife come out and stabs him in the stomach. Cops coming from every exit to drag them away. What does Artimus Pyle do? He comes out with a few handles of Jack Daniels and throws them out into the crowd and asks us to calm down. Go figure!

Saw the Stones in Greensboro and Etta James’ Band invited me and a girl I picked up to party with them. I had to work so she went with them. Never heard from her again. Ah the memories.

1 Like

Little off topic but a friend of mine is playing up at my local watering that has actually played on the Opry Stage.

Played with Sons of Ralph if y’all know any Bluegrass

1 Like

I really enjoyed this:

Mother do you think they’ll break my balls?