All things guitar etc 🎸

Compare to The Edges rig. And this is only a small part.

Imagine what Franky us worth now, or even the 5150 guitar?

1 Like

I swear this is just as killer at this slower speed. Vai is unlike anyone

1 Like

But this little kid still impresses

I am not a fan of spammy Hagar. I am looking forward to better mix downs and finding out what is in the vault. Eddie seemed to live on cigarettes, beer, vodka and cocaine for much of his time at 5150. My guess is there are many fantastic recordings that were forgotten about that are shareable, perhaps with the guys getting back together to add tracks to them.

1 Like

Gotta’ disagree with you there Mean Joe. Nobody is more annoying than David Lee Roth and his constant yelping in VH songs. Well maybe he isn’t quite as annoying as Michael Jackson and his constant tee he he.

However, one caveat. Ain’t Talking bout Love is one badass song.

Dave is one of the best showman lead singers in the history of rock. I would rank him very near the top. Dave actually could sing in the first Van Halen run and this sounds you mentioned are part of that. It’s unique. Sammy came to the party, but Dave was the party.

Sammy had no stage charisma. Almost every other song he writes involves “Love”, and probably two per record has love somewhere in the chorus, if not also the title. Dave Ain’t Talkin Bout the sappy love Sammy lives to write about.

There are songs from the Sammy era I like, but overall I cringe at every sappy love song. Why Can’t This Be Love? Well, because you are a dork Sammy and nobody trusts you. When it’s love, Sammy, Love comes walk-in in, then she will tell Sammy “your love is drivin me crazy”. Then Sammy would say “I can’t stop lovin you.” Ultimately, Sammy gets to write a love song about a restraining order.

Yes but Sammy “Can’t Drive 55”. He gets on his “Bad Motor Scooter” and rides all the way to “Space station #5”. I’m just glad he’s got some “Paper Money” to pay for it all “Right Now”.

Hell, I’m not the greatest Hagar fan but he is so much better than Dandy Dave. He plays guitar too. Maybe not a virtuoso but he doesn’t have to jump around doing karate kicks all the time when he’s not singing like some others mentioned.

Just one man’s opinion.
BTW - Van Halen 1 was very good though. In fact, their best and everything else with Dave is meh.

2 Likes

Dave plays guitar. That’s him on ice cream man

You got me Mean Joe. He played acoustic on 4 songs I believe. He yelps on almost all the songs though. I exaggerate, but you get the point. Every time he yelps. I cringe. Once you hear it, you start listening for it, and you can’t get away from it.

Well, then I have something special for you:). I hope these work…

Saw Montrose live at what is now the Grady Cole Center when Hagar was the band’s vocalist. Loved those albums, even the ones after Hagar left the group.

2 Likes