Edward Van Halen and all things guitar 🎸

My daughter and I cranked this one up yesterday to get my other daughter out of bed. Definitely in my top 5 Metallica songs of all time, possibly my #1.

1 Like

Continuing with my favorite bass players-who knows what John Paul Jones is plating here? I can make no sense of the pattern JPJ and Dave is playing, but I find it mesmerizing

Dude went out in a terrible way…

miley cyrus singing GIF by Z100 New York

1 Like

One of my absolute favorite songs/videos. Thanks.

1 Like

This just popped up in my Google feed:

Good read. On EVH’s secrets, he kept most until he could profit from them. However, he could have profited much much more from his innovative ideas than he did. Sone of T he secrets in his first interview at the start of this thread were never mentioned again, allegedly because Roth gave EVH being so willing to share them with competitors.

The man who gave Jimmy Page his #1 Goldtop Les Paul. I think he might have been too hammered to remember if it was given or sold.

Got them 49er referee blues

1 Like

Is this thread one of those “tell me you’re old without saying your old” things? I guess that’s cool.:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Although Greg Lake most well known as the bass player and vocalist for prog pioneers King Crimson and then supergroup ELP, he was also a decent guitarist:

Christmas greetings from Sleigher!

So What I saw missing in QR while Rhoads was with them were the hooks. Technique can carry you so far and the
Melody and hook have to jump in. EVH were well into melody early on. They knew how to put it all together.

All owe a debt to Les Paul and early jazz guitarists. However, Blackmore, EVH, Rhoda’s, Malmstein and Al Dimiola took it to the stratosphere.

1 Like

So take Joe Walsh at this show and drop him directly on the Gong Show and nobody would know that he wasn’t Chuck Barris.

And on the second day of Christmas…

I think that I read about Daddy JVH lost a finger before recording this with the Eddie Van Halen band. I can here some of EVH phrasing influences there, like in parts of I’m The One and the Jump solo