All things guitar etc šŸŽø

Really like the Aristocrats and thatā€™s a great song! Band drummer Marco Minnemann worked with Wilson at the same time as Govan and pulls no punches in his opinion of the ā€œKing of Progā€:

This guy makes evh technique nerdy. You just bend your wrist and start spasmodically shaking it like a dog scratching his itch. It takes work. I think Roy Clark sometimes picked this way

Funny how you mentioned Roy Clark. He did do something very similar. BTW - Roy Clark was the first concert I ever saw. It was at Bowman Gray Stadium in Winston-Salem for RJ Reynolds family day. I was 12 and he was not my cup of tea at the time but he was an amazing quitarist. Over the years I learned to appreciate him a lot more. There were a lot of country pickers who were/are under appreciated.

2 Likes

Mr. Crowley should be on that list instead of Crazy Train and should be at the top of the list. Also, Free Bird should be ranked a lot higher.

Those ā€œBest/Greatestā€ lists are what they are. Lot of good stuff on that one, but a big omission to me is Mike Campbellā€™s solo on ā€œRunninā€™ Down a Dreamā€ by Tom Petty.

1 Like

I remember tours of RJR tobacco in elementary school and being given candy cigarettes . My older sister toured RJR as a high school senior and I believe was given one or more sample packs of cigarettes! I remember working a factory job after school with fellow teens that started smoking because you got cigarette breaks if you smoked and no breaks if you didnā€™t! One friend would wait at the sales counter until he found a packed that warned cigarettes could cause birth defects or affect pregnancy is so many words, saying he was never getting pregnant so he had nothing to worry about

Nothing to do with guitar, but RJR brings back memories. I still remember that wonderful smell of fresh tobacco

1 Like

Itā€™s hard to knock crazy train, especially the Tribute solo, but both Tribute Crowley solos are favorites of mine

Yeah, I got to #10 and stopped. Beat It over say Iā€™m The One, Ice Cream Manā€¦Too many lists in this world now. I donā€™t agree with Brian May #1 of the other list, but every other combination of Top 10 guitarists has been done

Kacey Musgraves Smoking GIF by Paramount+

I wish I had YouTube guitar lessons when I was a teenager . This is much of the Crossroads feel Steve Vai had

I love the YouTube tutorials and online tab. I started playing back in high school and had to buy the tab books. Stopped playing through college and then got married, had kids . Finally took it back up a couple years ago and discovered online tutorials and tabs. It was glorious! Any song I wanted to learn, I could just look it up online. I do still have those orignal GnR Appetite and Metallica Kill 'em All tab books though. Still canā€™t play most of those Kirk Hammett solos. lol.

Get ā€˜ā€˜em young. Get ā€˜ā€˜em early. Get ā€˜em hooked. My father worked for Reynolds for 40+ years. He quit smoking about 40 years ago though.

Just one last thing on guitarists from me. Not saying heā€™s the greatest but for a big kick in the rear NeilYoung and his spasmodic Melodieā€™s are a must listen. Live he is just all over the place but it works. Crazy Horse sits in the pocket and Neil is doing his thing. Heā€™s nuts but can really put on a show.

1 Like

Neal Young knows and loves the sound of a cranked up tube amp. Keep on Rocking in the Free World

1 Like

Absolutely the best sounding concert I have ever seen and heard. I donā€™t know who Pettys sound man was but he was superb. One could hear every vocal and every instrument on every song. I think his sound person ended up with Seger because Segers sound was phenomenal too. Campbell is a great guitarist and really complimented Petty.

1 Like

That is challenge right? Piano, two or three electric/acoustic guitars, bass, drum, Tom vocals , backing vocals ā€¦I kind of subconsciously shut Tom out after he died, but heā€™s slowly coming back. I really dig Mike Campbell. Break Down, Go Ahead and Give It to Me

1 Like