All things guitar etc 🎸

I want to hear it tuned and amplified. It would sound like Close Encounters

That was awesome. It’s like Spinal Tap with more talent and brains

1 Like

Anyone here own a Les Paul? Always wanted one and now can actually afford to purchase. I don’t need anything too fancy, just want that sound.

I see some nice ones pop up on Craigslist. Certain years have better reputations. I don’t own one but was tempted on an early 90’s Studio. I would recommend playing one. I never was a fan of big fat necks that I have played with Les Pauls. Their prices can be from budget to don’t ask, it’s too $$$$$$

My son has a matte black Epiphone Les Paul which is a pretty decent guitar for a lot less money.

Having played “the real thing” (Gibson goldtop LP), I don’t think the difference is worth the price premium. The Epi is solid.

Maybe try out a PRS single cut series too.

I always recommend setting aside $150 to $500 for a professional set up. I have had all my guitars set up by the same great Luthier. It makes a huge difference, even with my PRS. I bought a cheap Ibanez les Paul knock used many years ago. I had all the pickups, pots, switches and wiring replaced, the frets leveled to perfect action and intonation and it was better than most guitars that were at least twice the price. I keep really heavy strings on it now with them detuned for songs like Into The Void.

All I wanted was a stripper girlfriend
And a Gold Top Les Paul
Be careful of the things you wish for
You might get 'em…

RWH, an outlaw if there ever was one!

1 Like

What is your budget? There is a big difference in most guitars. To me it’s like a mountain bike, you can hit the trail with an $800 bike, but you will enjoy riding a $5000 bike much more and lots of the riding will be somewhat easier

The Supergenius himself. PRS is all about detail and consistent quality

As a very good guitar player once told me, it’s the player, not the gear, that makes it sound good.

Don’t waste your money on expensive gear unless you’re a touring musician or have it to blow.

The first part is true. A great guitar player will squeeze great sound out of almost anything. Jack White has as a matter of inspirational work to play some difficult guitars (based on his stories).

The second part is false to me. Not all guitars sound anywhere close to identical. Any good guitar player would appreciate a finer guitar over a big box budget instrument. The finer guitars go for bigger prices for far more reasons than looks. In addition, a choice (expensive) guitar will tend to hold its value over time, if the value does not increase. The same goes for tube amps

Guess this guy has the money…

Now something like these 2 might make more compelling comparisons. One is $1000 new, the other probably $5000. I bet if we played one, the superior quality of one would be obvious. both would be good choices.

That Ibanez I mentioned I bought used for like $185, but put like $650 into it, and it sounds and plays better than many $1500 guitars off a big box wall.

1 Like

Custom shop Epiphone Les Paul on sale for $200 off. Helluva good deal. Great guitar.

Epiphone’s ProBuckers sound so close to vintage PAFs that even experts can’t always tell them apart. Transparent and crisp, ProBuckers use lower-output Alnico II magnets for a warmer, more creamy sound.

This Custom has traditional hardware, but finishes all of it—the stopbar tailpiece, tune-o-matic bridge, Grover tuners—in chrome. The Grovers have an 18:1 ratio for precise, dialed-in tuning. Additional features of the Epiphone Les Paul Custom Limited-Edition electric guitar include 5-ply binding, speed knobs and a GraphTech nut