Edwin Ofori Attah (Davidson, NC)

Just curious because really recall ever seeing it mentioned, but why was this guy not on our radar last year? He is the guy from Germany who played high school ball in Davidson for one season. He had games of something like with 50, 60 and 80 points in each game. He ended up at Wiliam and Mary and is starting. He’s averaging over 12 points a game as a freshman. With point production like he had in HS, at 6’4" and 205lbs, from Davidson, why did we never recruit him? With Sager, Plavich and Basden all being gone after this season it seems like we could have used him. I’m not saying we definitely should have, just curious as to why we didn’t.

yeah i always wondered the same thing. the guy is a scoring machine, yet we never really seemed too interested

We did have some interest in him but never materialized into an offer. He did end up at William and Mary and only had offers from them and LaSalle, so tells you he was not a highly regarded prospect, not just by us.

The level of completion that he played against at Stateville Christian was probably the main factor. They are a lower level school(like Northside Christian- in Charlotte), not on the same level as Latin, Providence Day, etc.

but he put up some impressive numbers against a few bigger schools, if I recall correctly, 50+ on Mt. Zion

[i]Originally posted by moss2k[/i]@Dec 3 2004, 09:05 PM [b] but he put up some impressive numbers against a few bigger schools, if I recall correctly, 50+ on Mt. Zion [/b]
Correction: he scored 45 vs Mt Zion. Overall, they didn't play a tough schedule last year. I don't know why we and other majors didn't show more interest.

just checked rivals, he had 42 vs Mt Zion in the 2nd half. Set the NC record with 71 pts in one game, also hit 60 in another game

[i]Originally posted by moss2k[/i]@Dec 3 2004, 09:30 PM [b] just checked rivals, he had 42 vs Mt Zion in the 2nd half. [/b]
yeah, mount zion sucks, he never played against top competition. :rolleyes:

damn i wish we had gotten after him

ok but suppose the guy cant pass the ball or handle the ball worth a flip, and imagine if he couldnt play D at all. basketball is way more than just scoring, it REALLY REALLY helps, but there is so much more.

[i]Originally posted by ninerID[/i]@Dec 4 2004, 12:09 AM [b] ok but suppose the guy cant pass the ball or handle the ball worth a flip, and imagine if he couldnt play D at all. basketball is way more than just scoring, it REALLY REALLY helps, but there is so much more. [/b]
yeah i bet he cant handle the ball at all but still drops like 70 and 80 points :blink:

i see your point man, but if you score 40 points in a half and have games of 60+ points, i think the coach could work on your D and passing and make you more well rounded.

[i]Originally posted by Chisox17+Dec 4 2004, 01:16 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Chisox17 @ Dec 4 2004, 01:16 AM)

can’t hit free throws, then he’d fit perfectly with what we currently have :unsure:

[i]Originally posted by ninerID[/i]@Dec 4 2004, 12:22 AM [b] if you run set plays where he can come off a double screen against inferior high school competition and they pass the ball only to you, you could run up some points. but unless you can create your own shot you want get top schools looking at you. [/b]
think he can score 80 points by comming off screens and being a chris sager type player?

dont think so

Rivals had him at 2 stars. He was recruited by about 15 schools but only W&M and Lasalle offered. It came down to Lasalle, WM, and USC but USC didn’t have a schollie open. UT also showed interest but he was their 2nd or 3rd option. He could prove everyone wrong. If he does, he’s just another example of a player slipping through the cracks. We’ve hit on several of those lately.

From the W&M athletics website on the Tribe’s game vs. ODU on Saturday:

William and Mary freshman forward Edwin Ofori Attah (Davidson, NC) came off the bench for a game-high 18 points, but it was not enough, as the Tribe men’s basketball team lost to Old Dominion, 69-56, tonight at the Ted Constant Convocation Center.

From the W&M 2004-05 media guide:

o Attended Montrose Christian Academy (Rockville, MD) as a junior
o Averaged 29.2 ppg, 8.4 rpg, and 3.7 apg as a senior at Statesville (NC) Christian
o NC single-game high school record 71 points versus Hickory Grove Christian
o Also 68 points in another game (3rd best in NC history) with 13 3-pointers
o Scored 45 points versus Mt. Zion Academy (ranked no. 2 nationally at the time)
o McDonald’s AA nominee
o Led German Junior National team in scoring at world championships
o Born in Berlin, Germany

Link: William & Mary’s Men’s Hoops 2004-05 Media Guide [.pdf file]

Now I’m even more curious. He led the German junior national team in scoring at the World Championships. Wow. So he could be the next Dirk Nowitki? Somethings still missing. Maybe like Lefty said, he just slipped through somehow. If that’s the case, do I smell another potential transfer down the road?

I’m a Niner Undergrad and W&M grad Alum. Also a season ticket holder for W&M games.

W&M is no where close to Charlotte athletically, but Attah is an exciting addition to the Tribe. He’s able to get his own shot, decent jumper, needs some work on defense. Overall, he’s a freshman standout on a weaker team than Charlotte. Time will tell what his potential is, but he’s an athlete and can score.

W&M’s Edwin Ofori Attah Named CAA Basketball Rookie of the Week

Tribe Guard Averaged 17.5 Points in Two Games Last Week

12/06/04 4:59PM

RICHMOND, VA - The Colonial Athletic Association announced this afternoon that William and Mary guard Edwin Ofori Attah (Davidson, NC) was selected as the league’s men’s basketball rookie of the week.

Ofori Attah came off the bench to average 17.5 points, while shooting 53.8% from the floor in two games last week. He scored a game-high 17 points and pulled down six rebounds in W&M’s 90-60 win over Longwood last Wednesday. At Old Dominion on Saturday, Ofori Attah again led all scorers, this time with 18 points, to go with four rebounds. He ranks second on the team and 12th in the CAA with an average of 13.7 points per game this season.

W&M’s men’s basketball team will not play again until Monday, December 20 at UNC Greensboro, as the College begins its two-week final exam period today.

Found this. Apparently only played 1 season at William & Mary. Can’t tell for sure but I believe he got into Martial Arts and may play basketball professionally in Germany. Still a really strange story that we’ll probably never know the whole deal.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=78821810

My understanding (memory) was that he was going to transfer from William and Mary (to go to a bigger school?) but that didn’t work out and he went oversea to play pro ball.