Electric cars - How quick will mainstream adopt?

clt says RIPIP A380

0 Likes

Electrek: Lightning’s new $12,998 Strike electric motorcycle shows liquid-cooled motor and Ohlins suspension.

0 Likes

Yeah that thing will be bad ass. Their top level bike is some serious stuff. Crazy this bike is less than half the price of the Harley LiveWire. The components like the Ohins is also a step up.

0 Likes

Side note

0 Likes

What does Chernobyl have to do with electric cars?

0 Likes

I’m not a bike guy, but that Lightning render looks pretty good IMHO:

0 Likes

That’s a Zero not the lightening. Zero has been around awhile.

Lightening makes the LS218 its a balls to the wall no holds barred bike. The lightening strike is the 13k bike that will be coming and is the little brother of the 218, they haven’t released its design yet beyond a few teaser shots here and there but it appears to be a sport bike. They will be releasing a standard version of it that is probably not as powerful and will have a more upright rising position.

0 Likes

I think it was a sidetracked subject that was brought up earlier in this thread, regarding Nuke Power. I might be mistaken.

0 Likes

Elon says Tesla will have full self driving capability by the end of this year. That’s pretty incredible. Even as optimistic as I am about their tech, I still figured full self driving would be a couple years away, which it may very well be, but he seems pretty confident.

0 Likes

The technology is there for self-driving cars. Google does this every day in and around Mountain View, CA in their car. This is the statement where he is flat out wrong.

“My guess as to when we would think it is safe for somebody to essentially fall asleep and wake up at their destination? Probably towards the end of next year,” he said. “That is when I think it would be safe enough for that.”

It will not be “Safe” to do that, and there will be injuries and possibly fatalities as a result. With the speed of an automobile the physics just don’t allow for the car to stop fast enough in some situations. I.E. child running towards and then into the street. A person can recognize a child running around in their yard versus running towards the road. In my opinion is the only way to do autonomous driving is on a road that is managed and isolated.

0 Likes

Cars that fly wouldn’t hit kids.

0 Likes

Just the rich spoiled ones with jetpacks!

1 Like

Agree mostly.

I think autonomous driving sbould be restricted to interstates and highways that are free of street fronting businesses/houses/etc. Too many variables otherwise that im not confident a machine can predict.

0 Likes

clt says the ethics of autonomous cars creates a dilemma. If a kid and an old person are both in the path of the car, who does the car hit?

0 Likes

Man i dont know who id pick either so thats nit exclusively a machine problem. Id probably veer toward whichever one i feel like i had a lower chance of hitting.

0 Likes

Another problem that could happen with autonomous cars is that people could jaywalk in front of them whenever they wanted and the car will stop. You either have to let them hit some people or not let them drive in crowded cities.

0 Likes

Haven’t paid close attention to this thread so apologies if it’s already been mentioned. But I heard on wfae this morning that our motor sports program is doing some important research on lithium batteries for cell phones and … electric cars. Even going as far as partnering directly with Jaguar to help develop the batteries for their electric cars.

Edit: found the article for anyone interested: https://www.wfae.org/post/unc-charlotte-researchers-find-ways-make-lithium-ion-batteries-safer#stream/0

2 Likes

That’s awesome. No it had not been posted yet, thanks for sharing!

0 Likes

clt says it going electric for the lawn mower this spring. Went electric chainsaw last fall.

0 Likes

emf says the electric cars are going to short out in all of this damn rain.

0 Likes