Electric cars - How quick will mainstream adopt?

If interested there is going to be an EV segment on 60 Minutes tonight.

0 Likes

Sprinkle in a few rogue roadsters and walking in front of autonomous cars becomes the new Russian roulette.

1 Like

Watched the 60 minutes EV segment. It was all about China, and how the government there has created a huge market for EVs, such that there are now over 100 manufacturers. Most of those being startups. American consultant said without government sponsorship there would be no EV market at all in China, and now they are on the verge of leading the world, not just in markets are, but also innovation.

Also they had a Tesla challenger that was selling itself as a lifestyle brand. Owners got access to members only lounges and there were people buying them not just because they onfoliked the cars, but also to socialize… Make friends, learn to cook Western style, etc. 60 minutes thought it sounded corny til they talked with buyers who confirmed it wasn’t just a status symbol.

0 Likes

clt will translate. car is delayed due to battery issues.

0 Likes

I think it’s a good point about little kids. I literally had the drivers ed video scenario happen this weekend. I see two little kids on the right side of the road with a ball, one on the left. The ball starts to roll towards the road, girl picks it up. I am completely stopped at this point. I let off the brake when they are still, start to go, and the ball comes shooting out of the girls hands into the road and she darts out into the street to get it. (No idea where the parents were btw) I’ll guess an autonomous car could have stopped if she darted out, but I’ll also guess it probably wouldn’t have been going nearly as slow as I was to begin with, just based on seeing little kids and a ball.

0 Likes

The sensors will work great at stopping when an object is in the path. The problem is the anticipation of an object coming into the path and the deceleration ensuring that the stop will happen in time. Your scenario is exactly the issue.

0 Likes

I think one of the big problems with self driving cars is the human drivers, once people realize it’s an autonomous car they drive more aggressively knowing it will try to stop.

0 Likes

To be clear though, autonomous cars and EVs are not the same thing. There are plans for gas powered autonomous cars.

Kinda think the two convos should be separate. Also, I wouldn’t place any such limiting expectation on EVs. Requiring them to be autonomous would just be another barrier for acceptance - a completely unnecessary one.

0 Likes

0 Likes

@NinerWupAss

0 Likes

Yeah zero has been around for awhile. They make some solid stuff. Then lightening strike though still seems like a better deal than this new bike.

Whenever I buy my next bike it will likely be electric.

0 Likes

0 Likes

0 Likes

Engadget: ‘Semi-solid state’ batteries could lead to cheaper, longer-range EVs.

0 Likes

Jalopnik: FCA Will Spend $4.5 Billion in Michigan to Build Electrified Jeep Wagoneer, Three-Row Jeep.

0 Likes

Jalopnik: Kia’s Electric Concept Has Twenty-One (21) Screens.

0 Likes

Tesla has just released the $35k model 3, way ahead of schedule. I think the prior prediction was that it would be available sometime this summer.

1 Like

The Verge: Tesla makes huge price cuts to Model S and Model X.

0 Likes

Engadget: Hyundai’s Kona EV is the car you didn’t know you were waiting for.

0 Likes

New Atlas: Piëch claims its new electric sportscar charges to 80% in a crazy 4:40 minutes.

Game changer if true.

0 Likes