Electric cars - How quick will mainstream adopt?

Its not like an EV doesn’t have several of the major components an ICE does. There is still plenty to tinker with. And these hobbyists seem to love hot-rodding these old cars with horsepower they could never have squeezed into their old engine bays.

You can do many things to electric vehicles just like with gas. Hardware is not where the bang for your buck is. The new gearheads will be software guys that can tweak the software settings.

Yup it will all be in the computer - assuming the manufacturers don’t totally lock that all down.

Oh they already too. There are farmers hacking their combines to get around their software locked systems to make repairs. John Deere has locked everything down.

Jalopnik: The Atlis XT Electric Pickup Concept Could Have 500 Miles of Range and Tow 20,000 Pounds.

It happens in cars too - I reflashed my ECU in my mustang after I put in a new exhaust 10 years ago. The difference is with all electric it isn’t about hacking or reflashing after making mods, it is just changing some settings to get more torque or power. The difference between reg versions and sport versions of these cars will just be a computer setting. Which means those manufacturers are going to lock down that ability because they want to protect the added cost associated with the so called sport version.

But you guys know when it comes to software there is only lock down for those who don’t know any different. Lot’s of things are so-called locked down today.

I think its just a different kind of nerd.

I’m solidly in the boat that gearheads won’t die, they’re just going to change. Instead of needing to know how an ICE works, you’re going to need to be familiar with the the OS of these cars work.

I’ll never mess with my car because it has that piece of plastic over the engine. That keeps gearheads out like locking down a car will keep software geeks out.

InsideEVs: Hyundai Kona Electric Makes The EV Normal.

clt says this truck is vapor ware,

I have to agree with NWA here. I had a deposit on the Model 3 as I had planned to give my commuter car to my daughter when she hit 16 and it looked the timing would be right.

My next door neighbor got a Model S and I took it for a spin. After driving it, I immediately cancelled my deposit. I ended up buying a cheap Abarth convertible and it’s nothing but smiles. The S had no soul to me. It is much faster than my abarth.

My next will be electric, but I just didn’t feel anything in the Tesla. I just needed one more dinosaur powered car before I relent I guess. Besides I work from home mostly and don’t drive that much. P

Modern cars are already heavily reliant on computers, and fixing them requires at least some knowledge of how that computer works. The purely mechanical mechanics are long gone. Growing up my dad used to take my old 77 corolla to a guy’s house to repair, because he charged less. But he didn’t take the late 80’s early 90’s cars there, because the guy couldn’t understand or deal with the computer systems. He always said he felt bad for the guy, since he was basically losing his livelihood by not adapting to the changes.

I also think there will still be quite a bit to work on aside from the software. But I understand it will probably be different (particularly it will sound and smell different), so there will still be cars around to tinker with even if you don’t like the electrics. It’ll be a hobby much like restoring classic cars is now. Hardly anyone drives a 60’s Camaro to work, but lots of people restore them.

The shift of the mass market to electric will solve so many problems (while raising a few new ones), so the sooner it happens, the better. We’ll obviously need more electricity supply, though much of the car charging will happen at night so it may be less than you’d expect, and newer plants will likely be lower pollution than many of the dinosaurs still hanging on. Obviously, cutting out a huge chunk of carbon emissions will be helpful if power sources are less polluting. Distributed sources of electricity will be a big deal (more produced by individuals than big power plants), particularly as solar and wind continue to become cheaper, so that people can produce enough electricity on their own to reduce the demand their cars have on the grid and cut people’s energy costs (the cost to power an electric car is about 1/3 that of a typical gas car). And anything that reduces our dependence on oil, particularly foreign oil, will reduce some of the pressure to get involved in overseas conflicts and environmental damage from extraction, as well as insulating our economy from potential damage from oil supply issues. Some of these benefits are probably still a ways off, but the potential to see them in my lifetime is exciting.

That Hyundai Kona looks awesome. I could definitely see getting something like that for my wife for her next car. I wonder what it will cost trimmed with heated leather seats.

Today “mechanics” plug in the OBD (OnBoard Diagnostics) computer, read the error code, and then replace the component that has failed. There is not as much fixing and repairing as their used to be. EVs should be far more reliable, and easier to fix (replace).

There are tons of reasons why it is going to take a good while to get to an all electric situation though. There are approximately 276 million cars in the US today, and we sell about 17 million new cars per year. Manufacturing capacity would have to increase exponentially, or it could take over 16 years to replace the cars we currently have with EVs.

There was an interesting story on 60 minutes on Sunday, and a guy has unlocked the secret of getting biofuel out of cellulose. They estimate that this could offset 30% of our current fuel needs.

To your point about OBD, there is a whole standardized protocol across all manufacturers. You can get generic code readers for this to identify problems. But then, within the individual makes, there are WAAAY more complex code systems. The Jeep dealership was able to diagnose a code on a bus error for my auto dimming side mirrors. I was shocked when he told me their scanner was able to diagnose the problem. The tech is already crazy now. Electric cars aren’t gonna kill motor heads, technology in general is already doing it.

Engadget: Nissan unveils its longest-range Leaf EV yet.

It is interesting that the oil and gas industry is not weighing in on this too much yet. The US is home to about 25% of the world’s non-commercial vehicles. I am not sure where the break point is for big oil, but at some point they will either make changes to survive or will spend a ton of money on politics to slow this movement down. It will be interesting to watch what happens. Electric car companies still have their work cut out in emerging markets. Those markets will see rapid transportation growth, but still have unreliable electric grids.

I think they’ll just stop selling gas here eventually, but they won’t care that much All their growth models are in emerging countries, cause, fuck the environment, yo!

They’ll just buy power companies and own the electricity.

Which would be ironic, since power companies used to own much of the public transportation.