Electric cars - How quick will mainstream adopt?

The oil companies have bought or invested in a lot of the battery and technology companies. They aren’t getting left out of this.

Were not the crazys screaming we had reached “peak oil” in 2010 or so? And that our gas prices would be in excess of $6 per gallon by now? They will stop selling gas for cars when it is no longer profitable to do so. Good luck with stopping that!

bought a MidRange (260mi) Model 3 first of December. I’m not a car guy. that said, the car is amazing. skimmed the thread. figured i’ld chime in on a couple of things…

Originally planned to use it for local and short trips, and take our other car (subaru crosstrek) on any camping/climbing trips or long trips (re: pittsburgh or FL or the like).

Range anxiety? Maybe for a week or two, or your first longer trip. After that, smooth sailing. Longest trip so far has been from RDU>Asheville and back. After that trip, the Mrs and I have pretty much decided that thing is going everywhere except climbing trips where we expect dirt/off roads. Stopping at a supercharger, plugin 20-30min. sit and get a quick bite, voila, back to 80%. Wife has a free charger at work, and we got a 40A circuit installed at the house to charge on the weekends.

Driving? Insta-torque/accelleration. will push you into the back of your seat unlike most every other car you’ve ever driven. super low center of gravity, the car hugs the road. I’ve driven the performance model, and you can tell the difference between 0-60 in 5.2 and 3.9 sec. That said the $$$ difference isn’t worth it. Even the normal model is like driving a rollercoaster. Is it missing something? Only if you are addicted to engine noise feedback. Otherwise, the steering is tight (can be adjusted via setting), the braking is great, and it is a super smooth ride.

Other tech - the interior with its minimalist design is unexpectedly calming. Like driving a fancy techy scandinavian future car. adaptive cruise and autopilot are fascinating and makes everything from long distance highway to stop and go rush hour infinitely more doable. The flat screen navigation, media center, etc. all impressively integrated.

What isn’t mentioned but should be… the car has an insane amount of trunk/storage space.

Re: EV’s in general… charging is only gonna get better on all fronts. not only more places, but also faster charging. Next gen tech is gonna be 80% charging in 5-10minutes. the $$$ will come down even further long term with more competition. The autopilot tech Tesla has will be the differentiator once all the old guard manufacturers start releasing their EVs (assuming the vehicles can keep up with Tesla’s performance, if GM/Ford/Honda/Toyota release things more equivalent to the prius and not the model 3, you’re gonna find some CEO’s eventually getting fired).

already starting to get finances in place for when the model Y is in production 2020.

Took my 3 and 5yo nieces with their Dad for a short trip around the neighborhood over xmas. Floored it a couple of times and you never heard so many giggles coming from the back seat of the car. The second time the 3yo exclaimed “the car pushed me into my seat!!!”.

I’m late to this party so I’m sorry if this has been mentioned but Chevy is discounting the Volt. The big problem with electric cars is the range. They are fine as a daily driver but if you go on a trip you run the risk of not finding a charging station. I also don’t think the demand for electric cars is there just yet plus gas is cheap. If it does catch on then states will need to figure out the tax issue since the gas tax will take a big hit.

I think you meant to say discontinuing.

The Volt never had range issues, because it has a gasoline backup. The Volt failed to be marketed properly by GM because objectively it was a good car that could serve two purposes -daily short-to-mid commute on purely electric or longer range driver with gasoline.

The gas tax issue is easy to solve IMO. Get rid of the state gas tax or reduce it to a fraction of what it is to account for out of state traffic driving through. Move to a usage tax charged by the mile. Cars are inspected in NC every year anyway so it’s easy to monitor.

Better not charge every vehicle the same per mile rate.

Also that is going to be harder for low income and middle class people to pay in a lump sum.

If you use inspections as the event to collect aren’t you going to lose revenue when someone sells or trades their car, or do we need to interface the inspection and registration systems together?

I am curious what the performance expectations and challenges would be for a somewhat extreme use, but one that any combustion engine would handle. Let’s say you wanted to drive your Tesla to SnowShoe Ski resort in WV. That is 315 miles one away, up hill. The temperature there now is 14°F, the high is 18°F and the overnight low is 10°F. What would you need to do to have an up-and-back stay and an overnight stay? Winterplace is about 200 miles away with slightly warmer temperatures. Beech Mountain would be about 130 miles one way, and still very cold. Granted, the temperatures on the way there would be warmer than the destination. However, you would likely need skis and/or snowboards mounted to the roof in this scenario, and you would need to operate your heater. I really am curious what the current state of the art electric cars can do with such challenging situations, and how you hypothetically would plan for such a trip. If your car was to go dead, does AAA offer roadside services?

Tons of threads about the issue of how cold weather affects EV performance if you just want to Google it. Just the other day I read although I don’t have the link handy an article about defrosting an electric car and how much the battery charge that used. What I can tell you is that they found that it defrosted in just a couple of minutes and used very little of the charge. However cold weather will always reduce the effective range of any battery powered vehicle, so you would have to plan accordingly for a longer ski trip so that you could recharge.

There are certainly still limitations but as electric grows to be a bigger piece society will adapt to cater. Gas stations will likely begin adding super charger stations. It may not get you a full charge but 10 minutes on a super charger will get you 60 additional miles. Next gen chargers claim under 10 minutes for a full charge. Vw and tesla said they’d run at 750kW. Today’s supercharger are 120 or 70 depending on location.

There is a very consistent cost curve seen among electronics tine and time again. They start expensive and then costs plummet while performance explodes, all in a relatively short period of time. Computers, televisions, cell phones, solar panels and more gave all followed a very similar cost curve. I expect electric cars (the drive components, not frame) to do exactly the same.

@MeanJoeGreen
I’ve noticed reduced battery life when it gets super cold (say when the snow/weather hit a couple weeks back). but nothing I couldn’t plan around if i had to.

In the case I was driving to snowshoe… i’ld set the car to charge 100% overnight before I left. Would stop in Wytheville superchargers to “top off”. Snowshoe has a Tesla destination charger at the top I would plug into. Rinse/repeat on the return.

Similar type thing charge in Boone > Beech. Or Lexington/Lynchburg > Wintergreen. plenty of room in the model 3 for skis/boards/gear and clothes if you folded the back seat down. Smaller skis or boards may fit in the trunk as is.

Either way operating the heat in the cold weather wouldn’t effect battery performance to the extent where any of the above would allow you to make the trip. Also the Tesla comes with a travel charger with 25ft cable & adapters that would plug into a normal 220 outlet or a 110 outlet if needed (electrons are the same, just takes much longer to charge on the lower amp circuits).

Re: if the car goes dead… Tesla has 24h roadside assistance if you hypothetically needed it for whatever reason.

If you were planning a multi day trip to beech or wintergreen, regardless of the car you were going to drive, I’ld probably suggest you book a flight out west to get real skiing in. :slight_smile:

pretty much this… its gonna sound cliche, but EV’s, are the future. the symbol for the fuel tank/gauge is gonna be like the diskette save symbol for future generations.

Thank you. That was a detailed response.

Hard to charge by the mile at NC inspections. What happens when there are miles driven outside of the state? You shouldn’t be taxed on those miles. Or all those folks living in SC and working in NC. They use our roads but aren’t paying for it, except today if they get gas in NC they are contributing to the gas tax.

Pretty cool video by Roadshow about how awesome Teslas handle in winter conditions: https://youtu.be/xbaNQQaFrnE

With regards to heat and cold my buddy’s i3 has some sort of battery temp maintenance where the car, when stationary, tries to keep the batteries in a sweet spot with regards to temp.

Very few people commuting to SC are buying nc gas. In fact we lose way more to people filling up in sc to avoid nc taxes. A per mile tax would eliminate that.

There will obvioualy be imperfections. While you would be taxed for miles not driven in NC, you wouldnt pay taxes to the other states you’re driving through when youre out of state. Its not really much different than now. Think about all the hundreds of miles you drive through other states now when you go on vacation. You dont fill up in every state so you’re using their infrastructure while paying nothing for it.

Ok this thing is freaking insane. 7 passenger SUV with 410 miles of range , 800 hp, and 0-60 in 3 secs…

Not the pickup pictured, the full SUV.

Like I said - what’s the point of an electric pony?

The amazing performance abilities of electric cars will homogenize car performance, which is awesome for the majority of society I guess.