End the JUCO route now

its been hashed over and over and over…
[U]
but it is time to stop signing JUCOs[/U]. I never want to see another one. I’d rather sign 4 year kids who lack the athleticism, but by their JR year, they know how to play. Juco kids are rushed to learn. Yeah, a couple have worked out, but JUCOs have been a 75% fail rate.

I’d rather be good every 2 years [B]when our guys are a senior team that have been together for 3-4 yrs with COHESION. [/B] They know where there teammate will be on the floor, etc. Then we can rebuild for 2 yrs and reboot the process.

[B]STOP THE JUCOS NOW BOBBY[/B]- true leaders are 4th yr seniors, not 2nd year juco ball hogs

[QUOTE=metro;366424]its been hashed over and over and over…
[U]
but it is time to stop signing JUCOs[/U]. I never want to see another one. I’d rather sign 4 year kids who lack the athleticism, but by their JR year, they know how to play. Juco kids are rushed to learn. Yeah, a couple have worked out, but JUCOs have been a 75% fail rate.

I’d rather be good every 2 years [B]when our guys are a senior team that have been together for 3-4 yrs with COHESION. [/B] They know where there teammate will be on the floor, etc. Then we can rebuild for 2 yrs and reboot the process.

[B]STOP THE JUCOS NOW BOBBY[/B]- true leaders are 4th yr seniors, not 2nd year juco ball hogs[/QUOTE]

Amen, DOBA, Exactly…

Quit taking short cuts.

We have had some bad jucos in the past, but I don’t think that is our problem this year. Coleman looks like he could be one of our better scoring threats. Mack and Coley were both pretty solid last year…

[QUOTE=metro;366424]its been hashed over and over and over…
[U]

[B]STOP THE JUCOS NOW BOBBY[/B]- true leaders are 4th yr seniors, not 2nd year juco ball hogs[/QUOTE]

I have a personal friend of mine that was an asst for us and has the head job somewhere else in the state and he and Lutz fundamentally disagreed on this. Lutz thinks he has the stopgap guys.

I agree with you in some ways. I as most others would love for Bobby to stop bringing in JUCO’s but not all together. There has to be some sort of balance. You can’t keep bringing in 2 or 3 JUCO’s every year because there is not stability and it just becomes a revolving door.
It’s not just JUCO’s its transfer players aswell. Now pretty much every program has transfer players come in but when we do, we also have a high number of JUCO players and that there is a whole lot of players coming and going in a short space of time.
You can’t tell me you wouldn’t take another Harris or Coley? Bobby has stated in the past that he will always go the JUCO route if they are more talented than a potential 4 yr player.
I think we are going in the other direction though with Braswell, Sherill, Bowden and Co.

I think we have to stop recruiting JUCO’s with the expectation that they will be leaders. They can be great on a limited basis in order to fill a void, but ultimately a team full of them lacks chemistry. This is brutally apparent this year.

We have had some bad jucos in the past, but I don't think that is our problem this year. Coleman looks like he could be one of our better scoring threats. Mack and Coley were both pretty solid last year...

yes it is our problem: our entire roster is unconventional

I want 4 yr players, its the only way for mid majors to win.

I have a personal friend of mine that was an asst for us and has the head job somewhere else in the state and he and Lutz fundamentally disagreed on this. Lutz thinks he has the stopgap guys.

then I blame Judy Rose for forcing Lutz to try and win each yr.

we should structure our program to take a stab at the sweet 16 once every 4 years

I’ve, called for this for years. . . . . . .

jucos should be used to fill out the roster. depth. if we cant find a four year pg until 2010, a juco pg would be helpful to give harris some rest. if a kid can play, who cares where he comes from.

[QUOTE=hootie;366432]I have a personal friend of mine that was an asst for us and has the head job somewhere else in the state and he and Lutz fundamentally disagreed on this. Lutz thinks he has the stopgap guys.[/QUOTE]

Benny Moss in the Library with the candle stick?

Benny Moss in the Library with the candle stick?

haha yeah “former assistant under Lutz who’s a head coach now” narrows it down pretty quickly

[QUOTE=metro;366435]I want 4 yr players, its the only way for mid majors to win.[/QUOTE]

Ouch! Sadly we have fallen to that level.

[QUOTE]then I blame Judy Rose for forcing Lutz to try and win each yr.[/QUOTE]

Something tells me if she was on fire you would stand and watch. Not disagreeing with your gripes about her.

I don’t know if the pressure has been on Bobby to win each year, but I think making the NCAA’s once every 3 years is a fair expectation with the hope that maybe once every 5-6 years we win a game in the NCAA tournament and have some sort of a run. Have the expectations dropped for this program? you better believe it! When we first got in the A-10 my hope/belief was that we would compete for the A-10 title most years, other then the first year, not so much.

JUCO’s don’t work ultimately for the reasons that have been stated above. I can see why Bobby feels they work, logically they should work, come in with good experi. and hopefully are some guys that were “missed” by other schools. Problem is there is never any team chemistry and some of them, frankly aren’t that good to begin with.

[QUOTE=ninerfan55;366441]jucos should be used to fill out the roster. depth. if we cant find a four year pg until 2010, a juco pg would be helpful to give harris some rest. if a kid can play, who cares where he comes from.[/QUOTE]

Nope- its a shortcut

Then this f’d up cycle starts all over and a 2yr guy still learning the system is your leader again when Harris is gone.

I’d rather see som frosh get torched early and progress/develope.

Jobey, Demarco,
Withers are prime examples

[QUOTE=switchfoot;366444]Something tells me if she was on fire you would stand and watch. [/QUOTE]

Between the hair and the polyester suits that would be a flash fire…

I kid.

[QUOTE=metro;366445]Nope- its a shortcut

Then this f’d up cycle starts all over and a 2yr guy still learning the system is your leader again when Harris is gone.

Jobey, Demarco,
Withers are prime examples[/QUOTE]

Yep

Nope- its a shortcut

Jobey, Demarco,
Withers are prime examples

We’ll have 3 new promising freshmen next year (including Bowden). Next 4 years will be interesting to watch.

I think Judy has been leaning the same way, but we still have a large # of Jucos, even if they aren’t all 2 year guys.

I don’t like depending on JUCOs for starting roles. Other than that, I don’t care. Fill out your bench any way you want, just don’t bring in cancers or thugs.

The sad part is that this is the only city in America with Division I athletics where a 1-6 hoops team is hidden on a message board.

Anywhere else and this 6 game losing streak and lack of post season success is media headlines.