End the JUCO route now

[QUOTE=Chisox17;366443]haha yeah ā€œformer assistant under Lutz whoā€™s a head coach nowā€ narrows it down pretty quickly[/QUOTE]
Yep, his JUCO (Tyronne McNeal, 6-11, 250) didnā€™t make it to campus after the summer.

But heā€™s done decently with D-I transfers with the exception of Kevin Swinton (WFU, gun possession on campus) being tossed from school. Johnny Wolf (Xavier) is starting, and John Fields (6-9, 200) from ECU will likely start next season.

[QUOTE=metro;366435]yes it is our problem: our entire roster is unconventional

I want 4 yr players, its the only way for mid majors to win.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you 100% that we need more 4 year players. Look at our rosters for the last few yearsā€¦ if you take away JUCOs and players that transferred in from other schools, there is almost no one left.

But given how competitive recruiting is in our neck of the woods, we canā€™t cut them out all together and still be competitive. I would love it if we could recruit a team full of quality 4 year guys, but realistically I donā€™t see that happening. Chemistry is important, but it canā€™t replace talent.

I would like to see a larger core group of 4 year guys to build chemistry, but I donā€™t have a problem filling some gaps with 2 year guys and transfers. We have had some decent players that werenā€™t here for 4 years, and we have had some bad players that were here for 4 years (or were supposed to be).

Our problems run much deeper than JUCOs this year though.

[QUOTE=Hooner49;366450]Weā€™ll have 3 new promising freshmen next year (including Bowden). Next 4 years will be interesting to watch.[/QUOTE]

Agree totally

[QUOTE=hootie;366432]I have a personal friend of mine that was an asst for us and has the head job somewhere else in the state and he and Lutz fundamentally disagreed on this. Lutz thinks he has the stopgap guys.[/QUOTE]

Additional kick in the ass will watching coach with ā€œhead job somewhere else in the stateā€ surpass the 49ers program.

Guess this coach is not constrained by the recruiting challenges that Lutz faces at Charlotte.

[QUOTE=Hooner49;366450]Weā€™ll have 3 new promising freshmen next year (including Bowden). Next 4 years will be interesting to watch.[/QUOTE]

They certainly could be promising.

However, I also recall being told that Martin Iti had promise and as well as numerous other incoming recruits.

Therefore, I hope you appreciate the fact that I am going reserve judgement on next year.

[QUOTE=JoeSixPack;366469]They certainly could be promising.

However, I also recall being told that Martin Iti had promise and as well as numerous other incoming recruits.

Therefore, I hope you appreciate the fact that I am going reserve judgement on next year.[/QUOTE]

Iti
Tory Reed
Greer
Booker

I can go onā€¦ Just like the market- Never buy on hype, buy on results.

Iti was not a normal frosh, he went to 5 schools in 5 yrs

Nice gamble but very Gerrityish mentally unstable

[QUOTE=JoeSixPack;366467]Guess this coach is not constrained by the recruiting challenges that Lutz faces at Charlotte.[/QUOTE]
Well, letā€™s say he recruits some of the same ā€œlocalsā€ the 49ers recurit (Sherrill) but mostly they are rated a notch below. With their budget, they recruit only NC/SC/VA plus a little in GA/MD. Six players on this seasonā€™s team have NC connections, 2 from Georgia, 2 from Maryland, 1 each from South Carolina and Virginia and 1 good transfer from Ohio. The lone senior is from Toronto.

Next yearā€™s class is homegrown in North Carolina: 6-9 ECU transfer John Fields (Jack Britt, Fayetteville), 6-11 Matt Wilson (Ravenscroft, Raleigh) and 6-6 Keith Rendleman (East Lincoln, Denver).

He almost canā€™t go the JUCO/transfer route due to academic transfer standards at the school. They are must tougher to get into than at Charlotte. For example, a transfer student can get course credit for a D coming into Charlotte; a D earns zero hours if you are transferring into his university. Why we would allow a D to count is a question Iā€™d love to have an answer to.

[QUOTE=JoeSixPack;366469]However, I also recall being told that Martin Iti had promise and as well as numerous other incoming recruits.

Therefore, I hope you appreciate the fact that I am going reserve judgement on next year.[/QUOTE]
Something Mike Pratt told me that I never have forgottenā€¦ ā€œNo player is ever as good as his press clippings.ā€

At the time he did clarify that by saying that there were occasional exceptions, he thought Clark Kellogg and some kid named Jordan were that good in high school.

Therefore, I hope you appreciate the fact that I am going reserve judgement on next year.

I suppose in a few years I will have have that mentality. I became a Niner fan in the mid 90s so I really havenā€™t seen much piss poor basketball from Charlotte. It will take a while to get used to.

its been hashed over and over and over.... [U] but it is time to stop signing JUCOs[/U]. I never want to see another one. I'd rather sign 4 year kids who lack the athleticism, but by their JR year, they know how to play. Juco kids are rushed to learn. Yeah, a couple have worked out, but JUCOs have been a 75% fail rate.

Iā€™d rather be good every 2 years when our guys are a senior team that have been together for 3-4 yrs with COHESION. They know where there teammate will be on the floor, etc. Then we can rebuild for 2 yrs and reboot the process.

STOP THE JUCOS NOW BOBBY- true leaders are 4th yr seniors, not 2nd year juco ball hogs

Iā€™ve been posting this as being a problem too. Itā€™s unrealistic to think this team would gel very quickly with the makeshift roster that we have. I actually thought this would happen last year, but somehow we managed to put together a decent season.

To be fair, I think Mack and Coley could be answered for Lutzā€™s contract status last season. If we had landed a freshman SG or SF last season instead of Mack, I doubt we would have had the contribution that Mack gave last season. So in that regard Lutz needed an immediate impact.

I've been posting this as being a problem too. It's unrealistic to think this team would gel very quickly with the makeshift roster that we have. I actually thought this would happen last year, but somehow we managed to put together a decent season.

To be fair, I think Mack and Coley could be answered for Lutzā€™s contract status last season. If we had landed a freshman SG or SF last season instead of Mack, I doubt we would have had the contribution that Mack gave last season. So in that regard Lutz needed an immediate impact.

Mack was horrible all year until conference tournament where he had 2 out of 3 good games.

He shoots low percentage stupid shots. A freshman SG could accomplish that, assuming heā€™s any good at all.

Did people not watch Mack last year, when he was constantly doing his best to screw the team? We almost lost a bunch of games ENTIRELY because of him.

Hooner49[/B]] [I]We'll have 3 new promising freshmen next year (including Bowden). Next 4 years will be interesting to watch.
[/I]
They certainly could be promising.

Iā€™d add that although the incoming guys look promising, we should brace ourselves that it will still take a couple of seasons for the chemistry to build, unless one of these guys ends up being a huge stud.

Otherwise it will take them a couple of seasons to develop. The compliment players they will be playing with that have the experience (Wilderness, Dewhurst, Harris) are role players. So weā€™d still struggle with trying to find a leader. Iā€™d say in Spearsā€™ 2nd season with us, '10-'11, should really be telling. That team on paper should have the most chemistry weā€™ve had in a long time. Of course all of that assumes we get a quality PG with this current recruiting class. If not, weā€™ll either have a juco or freshman PG with a team that otherwise has a lot of playing experience together. Arghhh. What a vicious cycle.

Mack was horrible all year until conference tournament where he had 2 out of 3 good games.

He shoots low percentage stupid shots. A freshman SG could accomplish that, assuming heā€™s any good at all.

Did people not watch Mack last year, when he was constantly doing his best to screw the team? We almost lost a bunch of games ENTIRELY because of him.

Never said Mack is an all american or perfect. Just saying, tell me the last time weā€™ve had a freshman average 13pts/game. Iā€™d say Rodney White. Before that Henry Williams maybe? To get that type of immediate contribution is difficult.

I wouldnā€™t say Mack was horrible, he was a decent #2 option.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/players/72735/gamelog

The problem is no matter what guys are onthe floor it is going to be the same thing. Our shooting % is always going to be poor, because Bobby coaches a style of poor shot selection.

I'd rather sign 4 year kids who lack the athleticism, but by their JR year, they know how to play.

Paging Hal Wisselā€¦

Ian is a great guy, works hard, and sometimes has a good shot. But do we want to field a team full of his athleticism?

Paging Hal Wissel...

Ian is a great guy, works hard, and sometimes has a good shot. But do we want to field a team full of his athleticism?

not even close

Demarco and Withers were athletic enough. Quit using Ian as an example. Juco does not = athlete.

the problem is relying on 2nd year players to deliver SR leadership when THEY DONā€™T EVEN UNDERSTAND the system.

not even close

Demarco and Withers were athletic enough. Quit using Ian as an example. Juco does not = athlete.

the problem is relying on 2nd year players to deliver SR leadership when THEY DONā€™T EVEN UNDERSTAND the system.

I agree that they typically are not good leaders because of lack of with the team. And transfer does not equal athlete. Case in point is Sager. But there is no way we can fill a roster with nothing but freshmen unless we take chances on discipline cases or underathletic players.

We got very lucky with Withers. He was not highly recruited b/c he had Narcolepsy that was undiagnosed. Most thought he was just lazy. We are lucky with Phil b/c of questions surrounding his academics.

To counter DeMarco, donā€™t forget we had Booker and Butter. Our 4yrs donā€™t always pan out, too.

We need stopgaps sometimes. Cam, Nance, Plavich are examples.

This is just the year, though, that we have no leadership. Which comes to your point that JUCOs are not good leaders. But to say we can field a quality team with just high schoolers, I would completely disagree.

Seeing it up close, though, Phil and Harris are slowly taking the reigns.

[QUOTE=metro;366537]
[/QUOTE]

I agree, but 4 year players do not equal chemistry and leadership either. We have plenty of examples of 4 year players that didnā€™t live up to expectationsā€¦ many of whom ended up transferring away.

We canā€™t cut out JUCOs and transfers all together, but we do need less of them. There is a happy medium in there somewhere.

If our staff were better recruiters then this arguement is moot. I can put some of this blame on the administration and its commitment to winning but I do not buy into any of the limitations Charlotte has to recruiting except $$$$$.