ESPN article on 49er Football

So if she wanted football all along and was told no by Woodward, then why did it take a grass roots effort by students and alumni to push the effort on Dubois for something to happen. I’m sure she knew football was running things but at that point in time was probably content to ride things out and leave it for the next guy like Woodward did.

If she truly believed Charlotte needed a football team it should’ve been the first thing discussed with Dubois when he stepped foot on campus with regards to athletics.

I’ll concede that Judy MAY have asked Woodward but to say she pushed for it is just not the case.

I’m ready for her to retire. It’s long overdue. 20 years is long enough for her to make her mark. We need a new, young, exciting motivator to lead our athletic program. She bores me everytime I hear her speak.

Machiavellianism is, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, "the employment of cunning and duplicity in statecraft or in general conduct"

True and many of us have to do this everyday. My main point was she wasn’t even neutral on the issue. Did Woodward call her in his office and say “You have to stop football from happening?” I guess that is possible. What is pissing me off so much is she makes it sound like she was this beacon for football when in reality she took every opportunity to undercut it. She could have said to me in 1992 “We will get football when alumni get involved, or when we are big enough or hell even just saying that is a great questions I have no idea.” ANY of those is better than “Not in the future of UNC Charlotte”, but would have still been towing the line. I mean even the fantasy dollars line - she could have simply said we are aware of the support and are looking into it". So many other ways to go about this.

So maybe quitting would be far fetched, but i am calling complete BS on her being the shining light for football since 1990. I also say that IF she was pro-football its proof that she sucked at her job because she couldn’t convince the chancellor to see what all of us could see plain as day.

Deja vu. Not in regards to the article, but to how football was started.

http://ninernation.net/index.php?topic=29328.msg519102#msg519102

“I’m ready for her to retire. It’s long overdue.”

The way I look at it you could get your wish depending on the next few years. I think Judy has put herself on the line with the last two hires of Major & Lambert. She has made her choice for the two most visible hires we have had in a long, long time (maybe ever) and if these hires do not go well I do not think she will be able to save her job. She has made her mark and I think her legacy now rides on these last hires. I do not think she wanted her name and legacy pinned on football but that is my opinion.

“In hindsight, I should have pursued football earlier and more aggressively, but the costs scared me off. I underestimated the impact of not having a football program.”

HA HA HA! Sorry, I was imagining a world where people accept responsibility.

No, seriously, Judy Rose is among the most admired athletic directors and has never made a mistake, ever. Her secretive, tireless, behind-closed-doors lobbying efforts over the past 22 years to establish a football program (plus her remarkable foresight which accurately depicted a future where football would be a driving force in college athletics) are the reason why we have football today. She deserves all the credit.

Sure is nice to be on the front page of ESPN.com

I wonder if Athletic Director’s (and Chancellor’s) are this polarizing at other Universities?

I do agree with the earlier comments that Judy has put her name and reputation on the line with firing of Lutz and subsequent hiring of Major along with Lambert and his staff. If in 10-15 years each program is at the level we all dream of, these decisions will have been huge factors in that success. If basketball flounders and football struggle’s then I’m sure she will take her share of the heat.

Regardless of what Judy told Mark we should all send Mark a quick thank you email or tweet for his efforts. It may help us get more media coverage in the future if he gets a lot of response. We should all do this when there is a decent article written, even in the Observer.

Everyone knows we need more media coverage and as students/alums/supporters of the University we should all be obligated to doing this.

http://twitter.com/Mark_Schlabach

Schlabachma@yahoo.com

LOL at all the San Fran fans pissed off about our name, why get pissed off about it now?

Are they pissed at CSLBU too?

Job on the line? Seriously! Nah, man, if Lambert and/or Major don’t work out, it was the fault of those meddling kids at NNN. Fire them. :))

Except for the messed up prices for FSLs and Judy’s interesting statements I thought it was a decent article. Bigger than any single article about us in the Observer.

and we desperately need more like that one, even if some nit-picky facts were wrong and Judy made some controversial statements.

[quote=“cdsniner, post:21, topic:25504”]So if she wanted football all along and was told no by Woodward, then why did it take a grass roots effort by students and alumni to push the effort on Dubois for something to happen. I’m sure she knew football was running things but at that point in time was probably content to ride things out and leave it for the next guy like Woodward did.

If she truly believed Charlotte needed a football team it should’ve been the first thing discussed with Dubois when he stepped foot on campus with regards to athletics.

I’ll concede that Judy MAY have asked Woodward but to say she pushed for it is just not the case.[/quote]
Dubois and Woodward are almost the same on this. You actually can’t be sure they aren’t the same policy-wise because the students and alumni didn’t lead any major pro-football campaigns during Woodward’s time. Again, she wasn’t in control of this.

You don’t know that she didn’t discuss it with Dubois, but CHP was opposed to football when he got here too. We forced it on him.

I think the extent of her lobbying was probably bringing it up from time to time when it fit, but half-jokingly so as not to ruffle feathers - aside from her initial conversation with the chancellors prior to being told to STFU about it. But she probably did “lobby” for it.

I may have been skimming these articles, but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen her say this. It seems like it’s usually what the writer is filling in. Or even embellishing i.e. “She suggested football but was shot down and rarely brought it up for fear of her job,” is EQUAL to but sounds better as, “started lobbying for football in 1990.”

I think they are painting her better, and being f***ing lazy. I have no idea what this movement looks like on the surface at the state and national level. But I’m not sure the community movement got as much of the spotlight as it deserves. No matter how many times I say we forced football on the chancellor, even people familiar with the movement still respond “he could have said no.” So you can see how people would think that CHP and JR deserve some credit. And since they are faces of the University and we aren’t, if you don’t do much research, you don’t realize that we are the reason football is here. But it’s not a good story without us so, JR becomes a bastion of football hopes.

Anyways, I think blame the journalists, not so much JR.

I also say that IF she was pro-football its proof that she sucked at her job because she couldn't convince the chancellor to see what all of us could see plain as day.
A $250,000 study that WE payed for couldn't convince our chancellor that we need a name change, even though it was all there in black and white. I have no idea of the true relationship between an AD and a chancellor, ours in particular, but I don't think she has to be able to change his mind. The way I think I understand CHP, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy to just let overwhelming facts work for him on a gamble. He was here to grow the campus, make sure things run smooth and not rock the boat. Even if it's a sure thing, if it's a gamble then he's not going to go for it.
My main point was she wasn't even neutral on the issue. Did Woodward call her in his office and say "You have to stop football from happening?" I guess that is possible. What is pissing me off so much is she makes it sound like she was this beacon for football when in reality she took every opportunity to undercut it. She could have said to me in 1992 "We will get football when alumni get involved, or when we are big enough or hell even just saying that is a great questions I have no idea." ANY of those is better than "Not in the future of UNC Charlotte", but would have still been towing the line. I mean even the fantasy dollars line - she could have simply said we are aware of the support and are looking into it". So many other ways to go about this.
Those did suck. Not sure our chancellor, AD, or University as a whole have been very good at PR ever tho. The only guess I have as to why she said that stuff during the campaign is CHP wanted it killed, and it does help to have your AD being pessimistic about it in that manner. I remember during that time there was even a "gag order" on low level AD folks about football cause it was like all hush hush when we wanted to talk to them about it.

Without regard to whether or not Judy Rose and Company actually lobbied for or against football, I think the lack of any mention of an Alumni/Student grassroots effort is an affront to all the hard work CFI/CFIS did.

I’d say 1,000x more. We really don’t have that many large donors, not when compared to most state schools in BCS leagues. If the AD does not do something that a big time donor agrees with, they’ll be on the hot seat fairly quickly.

The only way we can get our story told is through ourselves. I did some writing in college, I should interview everyone, & put a book together.