ESPN layoffs

ESPN has laid off a lot of talent this week. Obviously they are cutting costs. What does this mean for us? My first reaction is that we arenā€™t going to be getting more revenue from TV deals in the foreseeable future. Maybe never.

If this trend continues. What will the long term impact on the G5 and the FCS?

I am going to go ahead and predict that our friends in Chapel Hill and Raleigh will be ok, not sure about the rest of us.

Iā€™ve said it beforeā€¦with TV contracts shrinking for the G5ā€¦the landscape will shift to more regional conferences to limit the money spent on travel for all sports.

There will be good and bad for this. The bad is that the conferences will be structured by geography not by calibre of teams. So we may very well be in a conference with App St, ECU, and other universities close by. The good is that those teams are where HEATED rivalries are developed. I think the games and rivalries will be great for local fan interestā€¦but itā€™s definitely not a seat at the big boy table.

I was hoping getting football would add to our resume of size and TV market in time to get us a seat at that table in another round of conference realignment but it looks like our timing was just a little late.

If we would have added football back when the basketball team was thriving in the late '90ā€™s early 2000ā€™sā€¦I think weā€™d already have a seat somewhere in the P5.

But we didnā€™t
And we donā€™t
And thatā€™s an unfortunate reality we now have to live with

[quote=ā€œTRLeader, post:2, topic:30931ā€]Iā€™ve said it beforeā€¦with TV contracts shrinking for the G5ā€¦the landscape will shift to more regional conferences to limit the money spent on travel for all sports.

There will be good and bad for this. The bad is that the conferences will be structured by geography not by calibre of teams. So we may very well be in a conference with App St, ECU, and other universities close by. The good is that those teams are where HEATED rivalries are developed. I think the games and rivalries will be great for local fan interestā€¦but itā€™s definitely not a seat at the big boy table.

I was hoping getting football would add to our resume of size and TV market in time to get us a seat at that table in another round of conference realignment but it looks like our timing was just a little late.

If we would have added football back when the basketball team was thriving in the late '90ā€™s early 2000ā€™sā€¦I think weā€™d already have a seat somewhere in the P5.

But we didnā€™t
And we donā€™t
And thatā€™s an unfortunate reality we now have to live with[/quote]I donā€™t think weā€™d be P5, but weā€™d be AAC and that would give us a shot at P5 when the next shift happens. We have no chance of going from CUSA to a P5 though.

Reorganizing to cut costs seems inevitable. But my gut says a few teams will have to go down to FCS or scrap football before it wakes up the ADs and Chancellors.

If we ended up in a VA, NC, SC and GA based conference I would love it. Road games are awesome.

no CHeats yet. Not going to happen.

[quote=ā€œcltniners, post:5, topic:30931ā€]http://deadspin.com/a-running-list-of-espn-layoffs-1794664091

no CHeats yet. Not going to happen.[/quote]
*Public names. Plenty of behind the scene people got laid off as well.

This is another example of an internet kill. In the early 90ā€™s, Sportcenter was entertaining and how I got much of the sports news. That was a transition from newspapers and the Sporting News. Now, its all on the net and way more information with countless options.

The net has effectively killed or dramatically reduced the needs for newspapers, magazines, malls, department stores, bike shops (except repairs)ā€¦Many businesses have realized or will realize that centralized office buildings and their cubicals are unnecessary and extravagant overhead. With computers and the like now being used constantly, that means worker time and productivity can be accurately measured and/or monitored. We might finally realize that the 2 to 3 hrs spent by many on their commutes and ā€œdressing for successā€ could be better spent on useful personal timeā€¦ My observations at least.

clt welcomes our new internet overlords.

Completely agree.