ESPN's A10 power rankings

Thought i’d put this up here. Finally getting some positive attention:
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/69451/conference-power-rankings-a-10-2

5th seems a bit high for me so far. But we’ll see.

For our part:
5. Charlotte. OK, Charlotte fans. Here you go. After seven season-opening wins, it was easy to dismiss the 49ers as a mere product of their totally awful schedule. But the wins were getting better – Oral Roberts, Northeastern and East Carolina are various shades of not-horrible – even before Charlotte won at Davidson, 73-69, Wednesday night. That is an indisputably quality win, and, as such, I am giving the 49ers the “love” their fans seem to so desperately crave. And understandably so. It has been a long road back to relevance, and there is much more basketball to play – and I tend to doubt Alan Major’s bunch will be ranked this high more often than not – but Charlotte appears to be a top-half A-10 team and a potential tournament squad. Who knew?

His comments seem rather accurate to me. It’s difficult to pin down just how good or bad we are based off our schedule so far. I have a hunch about where we’ll be at the end of the season, but I’m too superstitious to write it down lol

It’s nice we’re being seen. We need to win these next few games before A-10 play. I feel all of our games are within our reach. ;D

Not gonna put Xavier or SLU ahead of us just yet.

I said at the beginning of the season that we would probably go 11-3 OOC and 8-8 in conference for a total of 19-11, maybe 20-11 if we get a win in the A-10 tournament. While I think this is one of the best teams I’ve seen so far, I am not yet able to bring myself to change that prediction by much. Probably win one more OOC game and maybe one more conference game for a record of 21-9 (9-7). My green tinted glasses are saying we should win much more than that and get an at-large bid though.

I said at the beginning of the season that we would probably go 11-3 OOC and 8-8 in conference for a total of 19-11, maybe 20-11 if we get a win in the A-10 tournament. While I think this is one of the best teams I’ve seen so far, I am not yet able to bring myself to change that prediction by much. Probably win one more OOC game and maybe one more conference game for a record of 21-9 (9-7). My green tinted glasses are saying we should win much more than that and get an at-large bid though.[/quote]

i agree…I love my Green tinted glasses, though.

Depending on who we beat and lose to, this year at 9-7 we could possibly get an at large from the A-10.

Bam! Bout time.

On a side note, I can’t believe how much credibility a single player has given a program(Curry/Davidson). Don’t get me wrong. It was a good win for us. But I don’t consider Favidson a credibility measuring stick. They’re no Butler, Xavier or Gonzaga. Or even Wichita St.

I think it may depend more on how we finish. 9-7 with 6 or 7 losses in our last 9 games probably wouldn’t get us in. They do look at how well you’re playing (if you’re on fire or struggling to the finish line).

Uh oh. The old RPI debate.

[quote=“Normmm, post:8, topic:27228”]Bam! Bout time.

On a side note, I can’t believe how much credibility a single player has given a program(Curry/Davidson). Don’t get me wrong. It was a good win for us. But I don’t consider Favidson a credibility measuring stick. They’re no Butler, Xavier or Gonzaga. Or even Wichita St.[/quote]

No crap. I was/am probably the biggest Curry fan on this board, but they actually missed the tourney his last year at DU.

Last year, they were a 22’ straightaway J away from losing the SoCon final to a WCU team that was playing 4 games in 4 days. We skullf###ed them last year with a team that was horrendous.

I guess the sports world loves smart white kids with a buttoned-down classy acting coach, best I can come up with.

No idea what the love affair with Davidson is either. I was with it until NLP pointed out how bad Vandy is this year (Xavier ugh) and then I saw that WVU wasn’t much better.

The back half of our conference schedule is pretty tough, but we end on 4 winable games so it is possible that we finish strong.

I tend to agree that five seems a little high, but I love the attention!

Dayton and X will be interesting games. Will we play the good versions or the bad ones? Those games could change how our season ends.

Thant being said… BEAT CMU!!

[quote=“hootie, post:11, topic:27228”][quote=“Normmm, post:8, topic:27228”]Bam! Bout time.

On a side note, I can’t believe how much credibility a single player has given a program(Curry/Davidson). Don’t get me wrong. It was a good win for us. But I don’t consider Favidson a credibility measuring stick. They’re no Butler, Xavier or Gonzaga. Or even Wichita St.[/quote]

No crap. I was/am probably the biggest Curry fan on this board, but they actually missed the tourney his last year at DU.

Last year, they were a 22’ straightaway J away from losing the SoCon final to a WCU team that was playing 4 games in 4 days. We skullf###ed them last year with a team that was horrendous.

I guess the sports world loves smart white kids with a buttoned-down classy acting coach, best I can come up with.[/quote]

Couldn’t agree more. They are the best team we have played so far, it was a solid win. But they are a 4-4 Socon team.

[quote=“hootie, post:11, topic:27228”][quote=“Normmm, post:8, topic:27228”]Bam! Bout time.

I guess the sports world loves smart white kids with a buttoned-down classy acting coach, best I can come up with.[/quote] Well they did beat Kansas at Kansas in the very next game. Even if Kansas was a little down at the time, that was impressive. They also play a lot of good teams close, so that they get credit when they lose. Maybe they get more than they should for close losses (and I’m sure race plays into that some), but it does look better than blowouts.

Before Curry, they probably had a solid player or two every few years, but almost no depth of talent. But with that national attention, I think they are now getting more solid players of a slightly higher level than the typical So Con program. They’re not going to be top 50 or anything this year, but top 100 is probably about right, which is higher than they’ve often been in the past.

clt says ESPN gives us better coverage than the local paper.

We haven’t been this good since I made this account :slight_smile: