Everett and the Bobcats

interesting article, I love this guys angles, makes you thinkā€¦

[URL=http://charlotte.johnlocke.org/blog/?p=1240]http://charlotte.johnlocke.org/blog/?p=1240[/URL]

Thoughts?

I can respect these guys at times too. However, I think they miss the point in that this would be a long-term decision. The Charlotte sports market will continue to develop as its population increase. Having a D-I college football team in Charlotte would be another positive selling point for attending UNCC and for others relocating to the area. Plus, it makes sense for local corporations to attach their names to Universities. Football has great advertising potential . How many people associated Jefferson Pilot with the ACC?

Macā€™s son Jay did an internship with the the Athletic Department a few years ago. He played football at UNC Chapel Hill, or at least had a jersey and helmet that he displayed in his office in the SAC. Anyways, still good to have Mac leading the charge.

ā€œThe seasons would directly overlap by a couple months ā€” October and November ā€” and the season ticket plans would compete for the entire year.ā€

The Bobcats only play pre-season games in October, and there are some sport fans that are not basketball fans but big football fans. I donā€™t see the Bobcats being in direct competition with Charlotte Football.

[QUOTE=EE9er;221082]ā€œThe seasons would directly overlap by a couple months ā€” October and November ā€” and the season ticket plans would compete for the entire year.ā€

The Bobcats only play pre-season games in October, and there are some sport fans that are not basketball fans but big football fans. I donā€™t see the Bobcats being in direct competition with Charlotte Football.[/QUOTE]

I think this guy (the author) has a point. The Bobcats know that if football is successful here it spurs a growth into a BCS conference, then the basketball program would benefit and would be in DIRECT competition with the Bobcats. Of course, by the time this happens, if the Bobcats arenā€™t winning and have a superstar to draw then they are out of luck anyways.

Bottom line for the Bobcats is that they win games and get better. 2-3 years from now they should be in the thick of the eastern conference playoff race if they havenā€™t already made it to the playoffs. If you win, they will come.

Well the Bobcats marketing in Charlotte seems to be working. They are getting in my pocket with what I call ā€œthe Disney sales techniqueā€. Do I care about Cinderella or Omeka Okafor? nope. But, when a 7 year old begs to go, then Iā€™m a dead in the water sucker with an open wallet. I will be attending my first Bobcat game with her youth team next week and it will not be easy to go in there.

[QUOTE=metro;221089]Well the Bobcats marketing in Charlotte seems to be working. They are getting in my pocket with what I call ā€œthe Disney sales techniqueā€. Do I care about Cinderella or Omeka Okafor? nope. But, when a 7 year old begs to go, then Iā€™m a dead in the water sucker with an open wallet. I will be attending my first Bobcat game with her youth team next week and it will not be easy to go in there.[/QUOTE]

Youā€™ll need to take lots of extra cash with you into the arena. Refreshments are not cheap in that place. I think small soft drinks are close to 4 bucks. The better beers are even more than at Panther games. And you may want to be prepeared for some more of that Cinderella marketing once you get inside.

ive had good experiences there. havent paid a cent for parking, ive gone to 6 games so far, paid 60$, and now ive got a bobblehead, a hoop set, a basketball, and a jersey all for free. not bad if you ask me. course, i NEVER buy ANYTHING foodwise at a sporting eventā€¦if you cant wait that amount of time to eat/drink, youā€™re in trouble. and yes, while it is enjoyable, not at that expenseā€¦but hey, why complain about their marketing if you end up paying them? obviously itā€™s working. you want to make a statement? dont give them money.

[QUOTE=ninerball49;221096]ive had good experiences there. havent paid a cent for parking, ive gone to 6 games so far, paid 60$,
[/quote]

Iā€™ve gone to 3 games and paid $30. I also havenā€™t paid for parking.

[quote]i NEVER buy ANYTHING foodwise at a sporting eventā€¦if you cant wait that amount of time to eat/drink, youā€™re in trouble. and yes, while it is enjoyable, not at that expenseā€¦but hey, why complain about their marketing if you end up paying them? obviously itā€™s working. you want to make a statement? dont give them money.[/QUOTE]

I also havenā€™t purchased food or beverage at their games. I was going to at one game and turned around when I saw the prices. I agree. If you donā€™t make a purchase, it sends a message.

I classify the Bobcat games as decent entertainment if I have nothing else to do, but I refuse to give them too much of my money.

park at my church. yeah it might be a longer walk but you are always guranteed a spot to park and its lit well. It is also FREE. Church is first baptist charlotte.

The staff trips all over themselves to try to make you happy at a game. Thatā€™s the nice side of them being so desperate for your business. The facility is nice, the players seem to be keeping their noses clean, and you can do a night at the game for a reasonable price if you want.

The product just isnā€™t what it once was, which is a shame.

Itā€™s decent entertainment, and Iā€™ve been to several games both for work (we have the expensive seats) and by myself (sat in decent seats and nosebleeds), so I think Iā€™ve experienced all the options for a game.

Surprised there was no mention of Mac Everettā€™s OTHER local sports connectionā€¦The Wachovia Championship. Sure, itā€™s only one weekend per year from a ticket buyers perspective, but when the sponsorship dollars are considered, I would argue this has an impact on discretionary spending by local sports fans.

Concerning the Bobcatsā€¦I was invited to a Town Hall meeting (by a friend who is a season ticket holder) before last Fridayā€™s game. Fred Whitfield, Bob Johnson & the Chief Marketing Officer were there fielding questions.

My favorite was they expressed frustration at how they are covered by the local print mediaā€¦as I told my friend, I didnā€™t realize how much they had in common with the 49ers.

FWIW, in the Town Hall, it came across that the teamā€™s ultimate basketball success is the sole responsibility of Michael Jordan. If Michael wants someone, Bob ā€œsaidā€ he will spend the money.

[QUOTE=SilvioDante;221167]My favorite was they expressed frustration at how they are covered by the local print mediaā€¦as I told my friend, I didnā€™t realize how much they had in common with the 49ers.
[/QUOTE]

Go figure.

Hasnā€™t Michael Jordan already proved to be a failure as a GM/ front office guy?