Exhibition Post Game

Clark is the stud of the freshman class. He’s strong in the paint and prob our closest thing to a CC3. Prob one of our most complete players. I can see him playing 20 min and avg 10+

Clayton could be great, just needs to work on handling the ball. Def impressed for him being a freshman.

Thorne might be the best FT shooting big man in a long time. Was disappointed though, thought I’d see post moves of some sort. But hopefully in a couple years he’s a Phil jones type guy at least.

The “potential” of or young guys look promising. If you include Thorne as a freshman, this might be best freshman class in a long time.

Wish I could have seen Thompson play to see what he brings

Very sloppy 2nd half. Lots of dumb passes. Hopefully it’s because of it being an exhibition and just trying pass more and playing more loose

Still not impressed by Nickerson. Too wild and clumsy with the ball. I’m prob being too hard on him but expect more from him

Ingram looks like he can score but needs to protect the ball more. He didn’t do we’ll with pressure

Williams and Henry looked the same.

Benkovic needs a lot of work. He’s a Ian Anderson type but far from that level. Hopefully he just needs a couple years then he can be 10 min per game type 3 pt threat. Hope he surprises us.

We’ll see next Friday what our season might look like. Hard to tell against feefer and 3 guys on the bench that will see major minutes.

http://cone01nt.uncc.edu/statcrew/xlive.htm

i thought williams looked a lot better. he hit two contested jumpers which was nice to see. i loved the defensive intensity and basketball iq of our players. i have to say as a side note. the crowd was terrible. not just in size but not loud at all. the pfeiffer fans were louder than us.

Enjoyed the exhibition, which is what it was. Most everything looked pretty good. I’d love to see our 3 pt and FT % improve.

U know your playing a terrible team when they fall for the student section counting down the shot clock early. It was hilarious. A couple times they did fade away 3 pointers that were horrible and air balled. Happened at least 3 times. Do opposing fans not do that in DII?

David Scott/Gold Mine: http://gmine.blogspot.com/2012/11/observations-from-pfeiffer.html

Official Site: http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23200&ATCLID=205723914&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Pickaxe Write Up: http://t.co/q98gWluo

Post Game Press Conference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_inI3CsOlvI&feature=youtu.be

Just a lazy 6 steals for Henry in 20 minutes. Thorne with 10 rebounds and 12 free throw attempts in just 15 minutes, that’s impressive I don’t care who you play

It’s really tough to judge how the guys played tonight because of the competition.

I do feel confident saying though that Clark is an athletic specimen. Thorne has a sweet FT stroke. If he can draw fouls against a real DI team, I don’t care if he shoots 10% from the field on the year. His hands definitely need work though.

Nickerson looks bigger, but not much better.

Ingram has a nice stroke, but I will be interested to see how well he can get his shot off against better competition.

Clayton was kinda meh from what I saw. Terrible from the line, but played hard. I missed some of his baskets, but the ones I remember didn’t really seem to be difficult shots. He didn’t look so good when defended.

Having Braswell, Mayfield, and (hopefully) JT on the court should help the other guys out.

The guys seemed happy to be out there. No pouting. No dogging it. This shouldn’t be a big deal but it is. I am glad to see our team look like a team.

Clark’s monster dunk in front of our bench was the highlight of the game. He is going to be fun to watch. What I saw tonight is that nobody on the team can count on having a starting job if they do not earn it every day in practice. We have deficiencies for sure, but we are deep in what we have.

Benkovic is really the only guy that looked like he didn’t belong tonight, maybe that was just the jitters.

Twill looked good, liked his mid-range pull ups (we’ve heard he worked hard on that area, showed tonight)

EVN still needs to get stronger to finish with contact. Like his floater, needs to utilize that more or if he’s going to the rim, might need to take one more dribble and try to finish with authority.

PH didn’t look to do much offensively, 6 steals to be expected against an inferior opponent.

Clark looked like a superb athlete that can finish around the basket and rebound well. I’d love to know his wingspan.

Cllayton struggled around the rim and at the FT line, I expect his play to improve around the basket. Hopefully the FT’s improve overtime, maybe it was an off night or maybe it wasn’t.

Ingram’s shot looked great, we really need that from someone in the backcourt. His handles looked good, really one bad turnover at midcourt with the double team.

Thorne looked great at FT line, needs to grab rebs with arms extended. Didn’t get many chances to post up, loved his aggression with the ball and hustle plays.

[quote=“2k, post:10, topic:27066”]Benkovic is really the only guy that looked like he didn’t belong tonight, maybe that was just the jitters.

Twill looked good, liked his mid-range pull ups (we’ve heard he worked hard on that area, showed tonight)

EVN still needs to get stronger to finish with contact. Like his floater, needs to utilize that more or if he’s going to the rim, might need to take one more dribble and try to finish with authority.

PH didn’t look to do much offensively, 6 steals to be expected against an inferior opponent.

Clark looked like a superb athlete that can finish around the basket and rebound well. I’d love to know his wingspan.

Cllayton struggled around the rim and at the FT line, I expect his play to improve around the basket. Hopefully the FT’s improve overtime, maybe it was an off night or maybe it wasn’t.

Ingram’s shot looked great, we really need that from someone in the backcourt. His handles looked good, really one bad turnover at midcourt with the double team.

Thorne looked great at FT line, needs to grab rebs with arms extended. Didn’t get many chances to post up, loved his aggression with the ball and hustle plays.[/quote]

I agree with all of this. I was impressed with Clark’s athleticism and Thorne’s free throws. When Thorne dunked the ball, he barely came off the floor. Looking forward to seeing Braswell and Mayfield back in, and seeing what Thompson can do.

This might be the deepest and most entertaining team we’ve had in I don’t know how long. The defensive intensity was impressive, and we were really working the ball around to get good shots on offense. Btw, a lot of arguing goes on about players’ heights, but Big Mike is a legit 6’10, maybe a little more. Dude is a tower. And to be able to shoot FT’s like that… WOW.

I was most impressed with Clark. He has a nonstop motor and a nose for the ball. Terrific athlete. He seems a step or two above the other freshman.

Ingram seems like a nice option to spell Henry and he appears to have a solid stroke. He played a little sloppy the second half but he was a nice surprise.

Benny looked lost and couldnt hit much of anything. The shooting doesnt concern me as much as his just lack of speed. He seemed to be on slow mo against inferior comp.

I just don’t get E Vic. He seems like he has all the intangibles but just can put them together. Still has trouble finishing around the hoop. He still has time to grow, but we need some significant production from him ASAP if we want to make any sort of leap.

Hopefully Twill can continue to put together a midrange game. I really really like his upside. He gets to the basket with ease and is just fearless.

Thorne still looks very raw, is limited offensively in the post, and has bad hands but also seems to have a pretty high ceiling.

I think we are pretty clearly a better team than we were last year. I think the floor for this team is 16 wins given our OOC schedule. My wish list would be for us to get enough out of Thorne and Ilija to be able to move Braz to the 4 more and see Clayton get some big minutes at the 3.

A lot of potential with Thorne, the footwork and positioning appears to be there, just got to work on those hands!

Would love to see Major throw out the starting lineup from last night as the energy lineup during games, very fast and great rotation on defense. Could generate steals and transition baskets.

Ingram is exciting to watch, and his shot is effortless.

If T Will can hit that mid range jumper with consistency he’ll be in the starting lineup for the rest of his college career.

Benkovic looked nervous, but he’ll come around.

Offense should still flow through Braswell, however, he’s the most polished offensively of the bunch.

All that said, still just an exhibition. Loved the defensive intensity. Would’ve liked to have hit 80% of FTs.

i just hope Clark sees bigger minutes than Clayton, granted after only 1 exhibition game. But I think Henry, Mayfield, Clayton, Clark, Braswell could be a very interesting lineup. But I agree, I want to see Thorne and Braswell in there at the same time. Unfortunately I’m thinking Thorne will most likely be a backup to Braswell.

And lets not forget about Thompson.

our freshman accounted for 61% of our points last night while playing 52% of the minutes.

Thorne, Clark and Clayton could be a monster core in 3-4 years.

I was super pleased with Clark, that guy is a beast. I could see him stealing minutes from EVN this year at the 3 if he stays in beast mode, as well as some time at the 4 since he can get those rebounds.

Ingram was the other surprise, offensively. 4-5 from 3 land and moved well without the ball. A little shaky handling the ball, not too bad, but that will pass.

TWill showed he has expanded his game out to about 10-15 ft from the rim. Hopefully he will continue that, along with his driving and eventually develop a 3 point shot.

Clayton was solid, but didn’t have the wow factor that Clark brought.

Thorne has very quick feet for a big man, I think that will be his best weapon this year for defense and rebounding. If he can get into decent position he will get those fouls and over time hopefully start slamming them home.

Henry was Henry which is a very good thing. I dont expect any drop off from any of the returning players except EVN, hopefully he will earn that playing time.

Overall I left Halton Arena very happy with the what I saw from the team. I’m stoked to see where this season goes!

The past few years have tought me not to expect much, but I cant help but be excited about the potential of this group and to see what happens this year.

[quote=“cibik02, post:1, topic:27066”]Clark is the stud of the freshman class. He’s strong in the paint and prob our closest thing to a CC3. Prob one of our most complete players. I can see him playing 20 min and avg 10+

Clayton could be great, just needs to work on handling the ball. Def impressed for him being a freshman.

Thorne might be the best FT shooting big man in a long time. Was disappointed though, thought I’d see post moves of some sort. But hopefully in a couple years he’s a Phil jones type guy at least.

The “potential” of or young guys look promising. If you include Thorne as a freshman, this might be best freshman class in a long time.

Wish I could have seen Thompson play to see what he brings

Very sloppy 2nd half. Lots of dumb passes. Hopefully it’s because of it being an exhibition and just trying pass more and playing more loose

Still not impressed by Nickerson. Too wild and clumsy with the ball. I’m prob being too hard on him but expect more from him

Ingram looks like he can score but needs to protect the ball more. He didn’t do we’ll with pressure

Williams and Henry looked the same.

Benkovic needs a lot of work. He’s a Ian Anderson type but far from that level. Hopefully he just needs a couple years then he can be 10 min per game type 3 pt threat. Hope he surprises us.

We’ll see next Friday what our season might look like. Hard to tell against feefer and 3 guys on the bench that will see major minutes.

http://cone01nt.uncc.edu/statcrew/xlive.htm[/quote]

So, Clark is going to be as good as CC3 and that’s a good thing, but you hope Thorne can be a Phil Jones level player as if that’s just okay and Phil Jones was on an NBA pre-season roster…

Just an exhibition game, and most of the focus is on the big guys, but I would like
to see more than one player on the team make a 3-point shot.

Teams with any size will just pack it in and make us beat them from the outside.
Even as small as Pheiffer was, I didn’t understand why they kept extending out front
and letting us get the ball down low. They were probably working on what they need
to work on to be successful in their conference.