Exhibition Post Game

Think about it like this, if he were a 6ā€™7" wing forward and he was balling out as a freshman, do you think he would have come to Charlotte?

He is going to take time to develop, but he has a high major body and he has the athleticism to play at that level, but he has to develop.

[quote=ā€œPowerbait, post:19, topic:27066ā€][quote=ā€œcibik02, post:1, topic:27066ā€]Clark is the stud of the freshman class. Heā€™s strong in the paint and prob our closest thing to a CC3. Prob one of our most complete players. I can see him playing 20 min and avg 10+

Clayton could be great, just needs to work on handling the ball. Def impressed for him being a freshman.

Thorne might be the best FT shooting big man in a long time. Was disappointed though, thought Iā€™d see post moves of some sort. But hopefully in a couple years heā€™s a Phil jones type guy at least.

The ā€œpotentialā€ of or young guys look promising. If you include Thorne as a freshman, this might be best freshman class in a long time.

Wish I could have seen Thompson play to see what he brings

Very sloppy 2nd half. Lots of dumb passes. Hopefully itā€™s because of it being an exhibition and just trying pass more and playing more loose

Still not impressed by Nickerson. Too wild and clumsy with the ball. Iā€™m prob being too hard on him but expect more from him

Ingram looks like he can score but needs to protect the ball more. He didnā€™t do weā€™ll with pressure

Williams and Henry looked the same.

Benkovic needs a lot of work. Heā€™s a Ian Anderson type but far from that level. Hopefully he just needs a couple years then he can be 10 min per game type 3 pt threat. Hope he surprises us.

Weā€™ll see next Friday what our season might look like. Hard to tell against feefer and 3 guys on the bench that will see major minutes.

http://cone01nt.uncc.edu/statcrew/xlive.htm[/quote]

So, Clark is going to be as good as CC3 and thatā€™s a good thing, but you hope Thorne can be a Phil Jones level player as if thatā€™s just okay and Phil Jones was on an NBA pre-season rosterā€¦[/quote]I feel like Phil was very under-appreciated here. He was a solid player by his senior year and it is a shame that he was not able to finish.

Watching Thorne last night actually reminded me quite a bit of freshman Phil. A big guy with questionable hands, but a great stroke.

As long as he shoots like he did last night from the FT line and can draw fouls, heā€™ll see playing time.

It was just the tone of his post. Iā€™ve always been a big PJ fan.

2 major differences in Thorne as a freshman compared to Phil, conditioning and athleticism.

Not sure I understand your post. I do think Clark will be better than CC3. My comparison was more towards being a powerful dunker and going up strong.

And I do hope Thorne is at least what Phil was for us. Ofcourse I wish Thorne turns into a beast down low but I think a lot of that is ā€œjust how players are talent wise/instinctsā€. For example, Clarkā€™s handle and ability to go up strong with control isnā€™t something just anyone can learn imo. I havenā€™t seen enough of Thorne but I dont think saying I hope he is atleast as good as Phil is a bad thing at all. Or I guess you are saying that Phil was better than Iā€™m making him out to be. Either way, Iā€™m just glad it looks like we have a big guy that looks like he can play 10-20 minutes.

Letā€™s hope grades are another difference as well.

Letā€™s hope grades are another difference as well.[/quote]To Thornes credit, he was eligible first year, Phil wasnā€™t.

Yes, Phil Jones was a really great basketball player here.

[quote=ā€œPowerbait, post:28, topic:27066ā€]Yes, Phil Jones was a really great basketball player here.[/quote] He turned into a really good player. Fans never seemed to shake the disappointment of him not being an all-star center from the beginning after all the hype that followed him here. So even after he started to live up to the hype to some degree, people just kept looking for ways he was disappointing.

Itā€™s a frustrating aspect of modern fans to me. Very little patience for guys to develop into what weā€™d hoped for them when they agreed to come here. Hope the current young guys donā€™t get similar labels, but the pattern with Nickerson looks very similar to me.

[quote=ā€œ9erken, post:29, topic:27066ā€][quote=ā€œPowerbait, post:28, topic:27066ā€]Yes, Phil Jones was a really great basketball player here.[/quote] He turned into a really good player. Fans never seemed to shake the disappointment of him not being an all-star center from the beginning after all the hype that followed him here. So even after he started to live up to the hype to some degree, people just kept looking for ways he was disappointing.

Itā€™s a frustrating aspect of modern fans to me. Very little patience for guys to develop into what weā€™d hoped for them when they agreed to come here. Hope the current young guys donā€™t get similar labels, but the pattern with Nickerson looks very similar to me.[/quote]
whenever i think of Phil, i always remember him taking the pass from Green and banking it in with the seconds clicking down against Tenn at Bobcats arena.

exactly. Jones was a subpar athlete. Mike impressed me with how fast he is getting down the floor as a big man.

[quote=ā€œPowerbait, post:19, topic:27066ā€][quote=ā€œcibik02, post:1, topic:27066ā€]Clark is the stud of the freshman class. Heā€™s strong in the paint and prob our closest thing to a CC3. Prob one of our most complete players. I can see him playing 20 min and avg 10+

Clayton could be great, just needs to work on handling the ball. Def impressed for him being a freshman.

Thorne might be the best FT shooting big man in a long time. Was disappointed though, thought Iā€™d see post moves of some sort. But hopefully in a couple years heā€™s a Phil jones type guy at least.

The ā€œpotentialā€ of or young guys look promising. If you include Thorne as a freshman, this might be best freshman class in a long time.

Wish I could have seen Thompson play to see what he brings

Very sloppy 2nd half. Lots of dumb passes. Hopefully itā€™s because of it being an exhibition and just trying pass more and playing more loose

Still not impressed by Nickerson. Too wild and clumsy with the ball. Iā€™m prob being too hard on him but expect more from him

Ingram looks like he can score but needs to protect the ball more. He didnā€™t do weā€™ll with pressure

Williams and Henry looked the same.

Benkovic needs a lot of work. Heā€™s a Ian Anderson type but far from that level. Hopefully he just needs a couple years then he can be 10 min per game type 3 pt threat. Hope he surprises us.

Weā€™ll see next Friday what our season might look like. Hard to tell against feefer and 3 guys on the bench that will see major minutes.

http://cone01nt.uncc.edu/statcrew/xlive.htm[/quote]

So, Clark is going to be as good as CC3 and thatā€™s a good thing, but you hope Thorne can be a Phil Jones level player as if thatā€™s just okay and Phil Jones was on an NBA pre-season rosterā€¦[/quote]

low expectations set there. i think clark will be better than cc3ā€¦a lot better i liked coley but he was not a great player. lots of things that clark does that coley does not. who is to say thorn cannot be better than phil and make the nba?

I liked what I saw from Clark last night but to say he is one of our most complete players??

The guy didnā€™t even take a shot outside of 4 feet.

Clark > Coley. Just as athletic, stronger, better handles, finishes with contact and heā€™s here 4 years instead of 2.

[quote=ā€œcdsniner, post:33, topic:27066ā€]I liked what I saw from Clark last night but to say he is one of our most complete players??

The guy didnā€™t even take a shot outside of 4 feet.[/quote]

from what i saw in 1 exhibition game, he looked like one of them yes. Kinda like a Mayfield. The point I was trying to make was, the way he moves with the ball he appears to be at a higher level than most on our team. I know this is after I saw him play against feefer and weā€™ll soon see what he can do, but last night, he looked like a guy that needs to be playing 30+ min for us.

my comparison of Clark to CC3 was the ability to finish at the rim with force. Yes, I think Clark will be way better in CC3ā€¦ but maybe not in dunking ability. Letā€™s see if Clark tea bags anyone.

Can someone rush the tape over to ECU so they can see what it takes to beat a DII opponent? They play a few of those this year and I recall them struggling against them last season.

I hope he is better than CC3. I would love for Thorne to be at Jonesā€™ level.

Before you guys cream yourself over Thorneā€™s FT shooting in the games showing on Maxprep he was 37-66 for 56% from the line in high school. Could have very well been one of those nights in a good way where they actually went in.

Or just maybe he spent an entire year on the bench practicing? FTs arenā€™t tough - you just have to practice them.