Fall Movie Thread 2006

Finally getting into the Oscar contenders. The Departed was classic Scorsese and it surpassed the original in so many ways. DiCaprio once again shows why he is an unbelievably underrated actor.

And in two weeks comes three possible great films. Flags of our Fathers, The Prestige, and Marie Antoinette(which I have been anticipating all year long).

I love Scorsese…Goodfellas is one of the best movies I’ve ever seen. I’m going to see Departed on Tuesday…

Don’t forget about Jackass Two… :slight_smile:

the Observer reviewer said the Departed sucked…so I figured its pretty good, have to see it now…not a big DiCaprio fan though, I think he ruined “Gangs of New York”, maybe he’s gotten better at man roles though.

the Observer reviewer said the Departed sucked.....so I figured its pretty good, have to see it now....not a big DiCaprio fan though, I think he ruined "Gangs of New York", maybe he's gotten better at man roles though.

Dont go off one reviewer… go to rottentomatoes.com…compiles lots of reviews from lots of critics, respected critics, and puts an overall review together. before you see the departed, keep in mind movies hardly ever get above a 90. Goodfellas got a 98 (which is amazing). for comparison, matrix got an 88, lord of the rings movies got a 93, 98 and 94. da vinci code got a 24…

i love that site. anything over 59 is considered pretty good…anything below is considered rotten.

[QUOTE=ninerball49;191357]Dont go off one reviewer… go to rottentomatoes.com…compiles lots of reviews from lots of critics, respected critics, and puts an overall review together. before you see the departed, keep in mind movies hardly ever get above a 90. Goodfellas got a 98 (which is amazing). for comparison, matrix got an 88, lord of the rings movies got a 93, 98 and 94. da vinci code got a 24…

i love that site. anything over 59 is considered pretty good…anything below is considered rotten.[/QUOTE]

Metacritic is a little better at organizing a consensus of reviews and it uses the actual score the critic gave it, instead of just good/bad.

http://www.metacritic.com/film/

Saw Departed yesterday.

It is an intense flick, wonderfully acted, and absolutely gritty and brutal in the same way Goodfellas was. I think I would have loved it, but I was kinda bummed by the ending. It definitely wasnt a Spielberg ending, which is probably a plus.

Definitely a :thumbsup: from me. And Marky-Mark Wahlberg was phenomenal as a hard ass Sergeant in the Undercover unit.

The previews ahead of it were pretty promising…

[URL=http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/300/hd/]300[/URL] - the story of the Battle of Thermopylae (300 Spartans held off tens of thosuands of Persians). This one is VERY different. First because it is live acted with purposefully heavy CGI and post work to make it look like a comic book, or more precisely like really excellent animated cut scenes like Blizzard does for its games. Second, because Frank Miller (if you were a fan of the Elektra, or Dark Knight Returns comics as a kid) is part of the project. I loved Frank Miller’s stuff as a teenager. Definitely interested. Watch the preview. (BTW, if it isnt obvious, this is a pure testosterone flick aimed at 15-30 year old males). Miller, who also did SIn City, has a comic book series by the same name that the movie is based on: [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_%28comics%29]300[/URL].

[URL=http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/thegoodshepherd/]The Good Shepard[/URL] is the story of the start of the CIA and has half of the Departed cast in it. Looks solid.

[URL=http://www.apple.com/trailers/touchstone/dejavu/]Deja Vu[/URL] - premise seems corny, but I like Denzel so I’ll probably see it.

[URL=http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/blooddiamond/]Blood Diamond[/URL] - I must be a sucker for these 3rd world based action/exploitation expose flicks (Constant Gardener & City of God). This one looks promising.

Haha, I saw Departed last night as well, N/A…was at Birkdale…

It is definitely an entertaining film. It has everything most guys like in movies–alot of violence, good amount of humor, double crossing, spy vs spy, throw in a little drugs and sex and its all good. It was actually very well written as well, although the story gets lost a little in the 2nd half of the movie…I’m not complaining, I definitely reccomend it, the acting is great (although Nicholson is just a tad over the top).

[QUOTE=Iron9er;192444](although Nicholson is just a tad over the top).[/QUOTE]

With a boss that evil it couldnt have been played any other way.

I remember seeing how some people on here wanted Clive Owen to be Bond, but if and when you see the film, you will realize why Daniel Craig was the perfect choice.

Departed was one of my favorite movies of all time, still not as good as Goodfellas though.

The new bond movie is also AWESOME. Daniel Craig may just be the best bond since Connery. GREAT movie. No more trying to go more and more over the top with special effects. This was great story, great plot, good acting…great movie.

Saw Bond last night. Some flat spots, but overall, very solid.

Craig’s head is too small for his 'roided out body though.

The Prestige was amazing. Christopher Nolan can do no wrong. Wow. Can’t wait to see it again.

The Prestige was amazing. Christopher Nolan can do no wrong. Wow. Can't wait to see it again.

I wouldnt’ go as far as amazing, but it was one of the better I’ve seen in a while…

[quote=NinerAdvocate;199984]Saw Bond last night. Some flat spots, but overall, very solid.
quote]

IMHO, this was the best Bond film yet. I had begun to give up on the franchise with Brosnan as Bond. I really didn’t like those movies.

[quote=kevinharbin;200333]

Saw Bond last night. Some flat spots, but overall, very solid.
quote]

IMHO, this was the best Bond film yet. I had begun to give up on the franchise with Brosnan as Bond. I really didn’t like those movies.

i agree. i like brosnan…i just didnt like the plots and the over the top special effects.

i agree. i like brosnan...i just didnt like the plots and the over the top special effects.

I partially didn’t like Brosnan but, mostly I didn’t like the rediculous storylines/gadgets/badguys etc.

It seems like they are pulling away from that.

I still think Brosnan was the best bond, but he had the worst material. Only Goldeneye was watchable.

I still think Brosnan was the best bond...

Ok, I’ll bite. Why do you say that. You are the only person I’ve ever heard of that felt that way. Can he really compare to Connery?

Ok, I'll bite. Why do you say that. You are the only person I've ever heard of that felt that way. Can he really compare to Connery?

I think comparisons to Connery are unfair. Connery is Bond, he made the character. Of course he’s going to be the best. The real competition is between the other guys. I think Brosnan is up there with the best, but I seriously think Daniel Craig is better than him and others before him. He’s truly made the character his own.

In many ways Craig’s bond is superior to Connery, but it also silly to compare the two since the Bond characters they have played are completely different. Sure, if you glorify the past womanizing invincible stud Bond, you will think Connery is better. But if you favor a more rugged, flawed, multi-dimensional Bond then Craig is better.