Famous Toastery opening in U City

Looks like Famous Toastery is opening in the old Bad Dogs location April 1.

http://www.famoustoastery.com/

Eggcellent.

Good addition. Kinda sucks it is going in one of the few good bar spots in UCity though.

Someone just needs to get on it and build something similar to Franklin Street. I can’t believe no developer has done this. It would be a MASSIVE success.

Someone just needs to get on it and build something similar to Franklin Street. I can’t believe no developer has done this. It would be a MASSIVE success.[/quote]

Unfortunately, the real growth in our university has come after the national drinking age went to 21 (1984). That cut the potential student bar traffic by 75% and we never had a chance to build our version of a social destination that included bars, live music, and restaurants like many colleges. I do wonder though, if new development continues to push out businesses in NODA if some of that may transition up to University City with the Light Rail?

clt floated by campus today. Lots of generic strip malls that should not be allowed, and and some nice density developing near the school. clt even saw a student with a book bag.

Someone just needs to get on it and build something similar to Franklin Street. I can’t believe no developer has done this. It would be a MASSIVE success.[/quote]

Unfortunately, the real growth in our university has come after the national drinking age went to 21 (1984). That cut the potential student bar traffic by 75% and we never had a chance to build our version of a social destination that included bars, live music, and restaurants like many colleges. I do wonder though, if new development continues to push out businesses in NODA if some of that may transition up to University City with the Light Rail?[/quote]Never thought about that, but that makes sense.

I think the bigger issue though has just been the city’s weak zoning laws over the years. The school and city planned for denser development, but then didn’t enforce the zoning to make it happen.

They just opened one in the lowes parking lot across from concord mills. Surprised they are so close.