Fan day scrimmage

Just from the highlight video it seems like EVicā€™s basketball IQ is like nothing we have ever had here. Moving without the ball, faking high and dumping the ball low on post entry passes, knowing how to cut to the basket, ability to see bigs while driving, he is going to be a big time player right away.

I am a little concerned about the talk that we are low on shooters, while I like the move to to focus on attacking the basket instead of bombing 3s, we still need to keep the defense honest.

I like how hard and focused the team seems to be playing. It is vital for us to get off to a good start this season so our players realize that this type of hard work really pays off.

Very encouraged about what Iā€™ve read on Ivankovic. None of us had even considered that he may be able to start. If he can, and that allows Bras to play more at the 4, that is great news.

Ilija doesnā€™t appear to be a natural talent, but he is big, he is faily mobile, and it looks like he has a toughness streak and knows what heā€™s doing. He seems like a guy who can get by with what he knows and is willing to do to win.

Wouldnā€™t surprise me to hear at least one of those face guards is due to him. I think a few people on here know for sure, but Iā€™m just speculating.

Something else Iā€™ve noticed, in the scrimmage highlight video, both Major and Braswell specifically mention Henry when discussing the newcomers. In the dunk highlight video, both Williams and Mayfield use Henry to make the pass for their dunks. What does that mean? Not sure. But he seems to be making a stamp on the team early on.

[quote=ā€œNinerAdvocate, post:23, topic:25805ā€]Ilija doesnā€™t appear to be a natural talent, but he is big, he is faily mobile, and it looks like he has a toughness streak and knows what heā€™s doing. He seems like a guy who can get by with what he knows and is willing to do to win.

Wouldnā€™t surprise me to hear at least one of those face guards is due to him. I think a few people on here know for sure, but Iā€™m just speculating.[/quote]

That will be big for Bras if Ilija or Thorne can contribute more than a few minutes per game. Those of you who have been around long enough, remember how much better Demarco and the team was in 1997 when Kuhle was there for the entire season (after being injured for the last half of '96), and remember how much tougher things were for Withers in '06 after Iti skipped town. Having that extra big body in the lineup to keep an opposing center from being able to guard your star PF makes a big difference.

[quote=ā€œNinerAdvocate, post:23, topic:25805ā€]Ilija doesnā€™t appear to be a natural talent, but he is big, he is faily mobile, and it looks like he has a toughness streak and knows what heā€™s doing. He seems like a guy who can get by with what he knows and is willing to do to win.

Wouldnā€™t surprise me to hear at least one of those face guards is due to him. I think a few people on here know for sure, but Iā€™m just speculating.[/quote]

It wasnā€™t him.

What are the feelings on Sherrill?

Does anyone know when the media guide for this season will be available? The old one is still up on the website.

Another thing I remembered from the scrimmage was Luka and Henry switched sides at the ā€œhalfā€ so each of them played with everyone on the teamā€¦ I think this pretty much confirms what we have all been saying on here for months, that they will be our PGā€™s and that Green and Deuce will play SG. Which is the way it should be.

I wouldnā€™t read to much into that. Other players switched sides at the half also.

Wish the real Henry could have played. That mask and the tenderness in his face have him playing a little gun shy right now. Best defender on team with no peer.

Some really good quotes from Major and Braz in that video.

The two take aways:

1. They are confident
  2. They are happy

This is what we need. This could be a really fun year to be a niners fan.

Also really glad to hear Majors quote about this being ā€œthe cityā€™s teamā€ and how important it is to positively interact with the kids so they ā€œbecome fans for lifeā€. AMEN.

Iā€™d have to agree. Plus deuce looked much more comfortable at the 2.

i like the idea of playing mayfield at point guard and deuce at shooting guard.

Not a bad idea at times, but that takes Day Day to far away from the basket and we are really going to need his athleticism and strength on the offensive and defensive glass.

I feel like weā€™ll mostly see Mayfield at SF and SG.

Not a bad idea at times, but that takes Day Day to far away from the basket and we are really going to need his athleticism and strength on the offensive and defensive glass.[/quote]

I find it funny that we are talking about needing a 6ā€™5 player to hang around the basket for reboundsā€¦

but hey, we were 10 and 20 last year and you have an inside connection. So, what do I know.

Not a bad idea at times, but that takes Day Day to far away from the basket and we are really going to need his athleticism and strength on the offensive and defensive glass.[/quote]

I find it funny that we are talking about needing a 6ā€™5 player to hang around the basket for reboundsā€¦

but hey, we were 10 and 20 last year and you have an inside connection. So, what do I know.[/quote]Dewhurst was 6ā€™5 and one of our better rebounders. If youā€™re athletic like Mayfield, being slightly undersized isnā€™t a big deal.

AGREED ā€¦ Day Day is not your avg 6ā€™5 kid. He is extremely bouncy, aggressive and strong. He is capable of out rebounding guys 2 and maybe 3 inches taller.

Plus he can score around the basket and has handles to start the break himself off the rebound.

This will allow us to get out in space quickly without having to wait for guards to come back to get the ball.

but hey, we were 10 and 20 last year and you have an inside connection. So, what do I know.[/quote]Dewhurst was 6ā€™5 and one of our better rebounders. If youā€™re athletic like Mayfield, being slightly undersized isnā€™t a big deal.[/quote]

Do you remember who all we had on our team last year???

Iā€™m not saying that I donā€™t believe Day Day can be a good rebounder. Iā€™m just hoping he will be a good rebounding guard and crash the boards from the perimeter - not stick around in the post. I will say this, we look a lot more athletic than last year, and I like it a lot.