Favorite restaurants in the Charlotte area

Niner Nation, what are your favorite restaurants in Charlotte?

Here are my favs…

Diner: the Penguin
Cajun: the Cajun Queen
Italian: Mamma Ricotta’s
Barbeque: Bill Spoon’s
"neighborhood joint": Alexander Michael’s
Chain: Chili’s
Mexican: Monterrey
Asian: Koishi

Other Favs… the Tryon House, the Parkway House, Ciros, Ishii, Lupies

italian: mama ricotta’s. serves new haven style pizza better than sally’s pizza in new haven.
bbq: old hickory house
diner: the penguin

Grandma’s, off N. Tryon.

italian: mama ricotta's. serves new haven style pizza better than sally's pizza in new haven. bbq: old hickory house diner: the penguin

AGGGHH how could I leave off Mamma Ricottas! Im adding that as my fav Italian place. I just havent been in probably 8 years, so I completely forgot about it.

Grandma's, off N. Tryon.

Ive never been there, but it got a great review in the Observer a couple weeks ago. I drive by it every day, but have never stopped in.

Cash only, so be prepared.

[B][U]The Cheap but Great List[/U][/B]

Japanese: Ishi - Awesome hibachi plates for under 6 bucks
Chinese: The place right near Jersey Mikes in the Bloom Shopping center, forgot the name, they do UNCC lunch discounts
American: The Penguin
Sandwiches: McCallisters Deli - Not as cheap as sandwiches should be, but delicious

Place I love to eat at when in Charlotte:
Los Arcos - some of the best mexican i’ve had, cheap, very quick service
Ishi - best japanese ive had from a non $50 a meal place

Chinese: The place right near Jersey Mikes in the Bloom Shopping center, forgot the name, they do UNCC lunch discounts

China Palace

I find myself eating a lot at Fridays - I dont know if its jsut becuase its open late or because its reasonable…

Ishi is def up there - I absolutely love that place

Qdoba is up there as far as filling myself up - I’ve never left that place hungry

Cookout for latenight

BOJANGLES - they will oneday sponsor our football stadium

Razoos for the cajun

Boardwalk Billy’s…but I am not at all biased.

this thread should be edited to exclude chain restaurants.

Italian-Open Kitchen
Sushi-Nikko
Burgers-Five Guys
Pizza-Tony’s at Ballantyne
Southern-Roasting Company

Family Restaurant: Skyland
Italian: Mama Ricotta’s
Place to take a date: Pewter Rose
Steak: Ruth’s Chris
Asian: Nakato (but if that’s too expensive… Chen’s Bistro for lunch)
Greek / All Around: Showmars
Fast Food: CookouT
BBQ: R&R
MEDITERRANEAN: Kabob (East Blvd)

Honorable Mentions: Bill Spoons BBQ, Amalfi, The Penguin, Blue, Bojangles

[QUOTE=ninerfan55;328647]this thread should be edited to exclude chain restaurants.[/QUOTE]

I agree, if your favorite restaurant is a chain then you probably have deeper issues.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;328659]I agree, if your favorite restaurant is a chain then you probably have deeper issues.[/QUOTE]

i couldnt agree more.

Macadoo’s was the ****. You could get the hindenburg and a pitcher of beer and get out with a tip for under $8 if you went with two friends. That is with each of you getting a pitcher.

I agree, if your favorite restaurant is a chain then you probably have deeper issues.

That reminds me of Michael Scott in New York, “Ahhh, my favorite New York pizza place.” As he walks into a Sbarro.

Macadoo's was the ****. You could get the hindenburg and a pitcher of beer and get out with a tip for under $8 if you went with two friends. That is with each of you getting a pitcher.

How much was that tip?

[QUOTE=Chisox17;328614]Niner Nation, what are your favorite restaurants in Charlotte?

Here are my favs…

Diner: the Penguin
Cajun: the Cajun Queen
Italian: Mamma Ricotta’s
Barbeque: Bill Spoon’s
"neighborhood joint": Alexander Michael’s
Chain: Chili’s
Asian: Koishi

Other Favs… the Tryon House, the Parkway House, Ciros, Ishii[/QUOTE]

Diner: Penguin
Italian: Open Kitchen (I need to try Mama Ricotta’s, I’ve never been:ohmy:)
BBQ: Carolina BBQ
Neighborhood Bar: Kristophers (I know, its in Matthews but Killer Food and over 40 flatscreens, it is where I watch all my Panther games during the season.)
Mexican: Azteca
Asain: ISHI
Fast Food: Bojangles PWNS

Other Favs: Izzys, Arthurs, Brixx, 300 East, Ted’s, Outback, Katz Deli

and last but not least, two that don’t really count: The Beacon in Spartanburg and HERLOCKERS…RIP:unhappy: