Favorite stocks

[QUOTE=49erFan1;181551]Sweet. How easy was it on startup?[/QUOTE]

It was easy. Simple application, and like cakewalk said, the next step is linking a checking account. The process takes a week or so to set up.

If you decide to open an ING account, PM me. If I (or anyone with an ING account) refer you, you get a $25 bonus and I get a $10 referral fee. Emigrant Direct has a slightly better rate, but ING gives you that bonus.

[QUOTE=MKNiner;181489]I prefer a regular college savings fund you can get at Morgan or Merrill. I have one that’s invested in a Davis Mutual fund. 529’s are good but I wish they had more investing options.

I opened one up right when my daughter was born and I just hit enough to pay for a year of college (at Charlotte) last month. The other good thing about the account I have is I can use it for any college expense (i.e. school supplies, lap top etc.) Also even though my daughter is the benificiary if my wife wanted to go back to school I could pay for her out of it as well. Don’t know if 529’s offer that kind of flexibility.[/QUOTE]

MK, when it come to financial aid in the future for your daughter, how will that account be viewed? Will it be viewed as your asset of your daughters? The reason I ask is I think they count more (as in less financial aid available) if it’s in your daughter’s name. I just have regular savings account for my 7 month old daughter right now and it’s in my name. I haven’t figured out which other savings route is best yet.

I've just recently gotten really interested in the stock market. This mainly due to my finally having enough disposable income to do anything with (Although its still not much, Ive been broke as a joke for a long time). I got into my first two stocks about six weeks ago or so. I got Dicks Sporting Goods (DKS), and Underarmour (UA). Dicks was at 38.26, and is now still flaoting around 38-39, and I got UA at 34.35, and its now around 39 to 41 range. I really think Ive gotten into a couple good ones, UA especially. Just wondering if anyone else on the board is really into the market and has some favorite hot stocks, or for that matter, least favorite ones.

Bizzump.

Decided to bring this thread back out of oblivion, as I have recently found some fellow NN.Ners who are also pretty active in the stock market.

I recently sold my UA for just over $47 per share, and I bought it at $34.35, so that was a nice pick. DKS is now sittin pretty at $53.60, up from the $38.26 I bought it at.

I also have some Color Kinetics (CLRK).

Apple. iphone comes out later this month.

Apple. iphone comes out later this month.

Don’t know how I forgot to mention, I do own some AAPL as well. Got in on it at $120.33, its up to $124.49, and only going up (mainly bc of the iPhone megahype).

I bought about 65 shares of starbucks at $32.50 a few months ago, it was around 40 last fall so I thought I was getting a good deal. It is now at under 28 last i looked, I guess I just have to wait it out. Hey if I keep waiting, I wont have to pay capital gains.

I own DUK for long term growth or possibly my football donation, the spectra split and the fact that it pays about a 4% dividend really helps. I went straight through DUK so I don’t have any brokerage fees.

Monster was set to be a good one but the buyout doesn’t look like it will be happening soon.

Google is strong, and will be, I think it is like 530, and many think it will reach 1000 in just a couple years.

Most of my stuff is tied up in long term. My troweprice retirement fund is doing amazing (TRRDX). However, I am only 23 so I have quite a ways to go on that, but the retirement plan is probably the best perk of where I work.

Anyone know a good mutual fund? I would like to start putting like 50 bucks a month in something to pull out when I have my mid life crisis.

*Wow, i just went back and read that I actually posted on this thread close to a year ago. Guess I don’t change much.

Google is strong, and will be, I think it is like 530, and many think it will reach 1000 in just a couple years.

Most of my stuff is tied up in long term. My troweprice retirement fund is doing amazing (TRRDX). However, I am only 23 so I have quite a ways to go on that, but the retirement plan is probably the best perk of where I work.

Anyone know a good mutual fund? I would like to start putting like 50 bucks a month in something to pull out when I have my mid life crisis.

Google is hyped. They are definitely in an aquisition phase and are beefing up their Patent and Trademark Protection, but I just don’t know how they will fare. What is propelling their profits. Google Books should run into copyright issues. Microsoft seems it will enter court over Internet Document processing. But maybe I’m a little jaded because many of the workers are ran into the ground here in Silicon Valley by the firm.

As for mutual funds, matters what you want. I always thought index funds were the best b/c the fund’s performance is pegged to the top performing companies, not the ideas of one person performing the transactions of the fund. Your 401k provider should be able to give you an extensive list of index funds. If you want to go outside of them, a simple site such as E-Trade will also provide lists of index funds. As long as the fund is pegged to the S&P 500, DJIA, or even the QQQ, you should be ok over the long run.

For liquidity purposes, though, you can’t really beat the 5% being offered by these online banks referred to throughout this thread.

Play Exxon-Mobil (XOM), you will get good returns. It is currently sitting at 82.68 wouldn’t surprise me if it is over 90 at the end of the year.

Check Out NUE, GS, and MA. Just put down positions in each of these… Also take a look at DO - great oil play at this level - IMHO…

Check Out NUE, GS, and MA. Just put down positions in each of these.... Also take a look at DO - great oil play at this level - IMHO.....

I got in on MA last week when it was at $151… and it’s at $162 now! :thumbsup:

Last summer when this thread came up I started doing my initial research on the stock market and investing. I used yahoo finance to follow some stocks over time to see how they behave. I had 2 target types of stock, the 1st being REITs (Real Estate Investment Trusts) they pay dividends and are not double taxed, which is nice and the other is Alternative Energy related stocks.

One stock in particular I have followed is SunPower Corp. (SPWR). I hypothetically purchased it at 30.32 during the summer of 2006 and now it is worth 58.22 a share (92.15% increase). Too bad this was only hypothetical…

I don’t know how great an approach it would be to consider certain cutting edge industries to try to get something before it takes off financially, but I figured to throw it out there.

I bought the most recent edition of the Intelligent Investor by Ben Graham in December, but have not had the time to start reading it. I’m still at least 8-months to a year away from investing, so I have time. Any recommendations?

CLRK is another one of my best picks. I got in on it about a week and a half ago, and it has been on fire ever since. CLRK and MA have been carrying me.

the market is going sky high today :thumbsup:

I no longer have clrk and ma.

My favorite picks right now are AMSWA, BQI, CHNG, and RBY. Those have been going nuts since I got in on them a couple weeks ago. BQI in particular is red hot.

Here is the best pick ever.

Don’t listen to people who what NO F’ING CLUE what your financial status is, what you want, and what your risk tolerance is. Also, never listen to randonm Joe’s stock picks, either they are parroting something they heard on CNBC or are making an uneducated pitch based on a few terms they probably don’t understand.

Here is the best pick ever.

Don’t listen to people who what NO F’ING CLUE what your financial status is, what you want, and what your risk tolerance is. Also, never listen to randonm Joe’s stock picks, either they are parroting something they heard on CNBC or are making an uneducated pitch based on a few terms they probably don’t understand.

Sounds like someone got burned bad a time or two…

Because of my work, I can’t recomend anything.

[QUOTE=Chisox17;248134]Sounds like someone got burned bad a time or two…[/QUOTE]
Nope. I’ve just seem too many people get it wrong.

What’s good for me very well might not be good for you.

Because of my work, I can't recomend anything.
Stonecold, I thought you were okay with cheating. A few bits of insider information would go a long way in getting us a football program up and running.

Textron- TXT

Owns Cessna Aircraft, Bell Helicopter, and EZGO golf cart. Also has strong presence in financial arena and goverment contracting for helicopters (V-22 Bomber), bombs, and Coast Guard vechicles. Huge gains year to date.

[QUOTE=s9er;248130]Here is the best pick ever.

Don’t listen to people who what NO F’ING CLUE what your financial status is, what you want, and what your risk tolerance is. Also, never listen to randonm Joe’s stock picks, either they are parroting something they heard on CNBC or are making an uneducated pitch based on a few terms they probably don’t understand.[/QUOTE]
I’ll agree with this.

There are some great mutual funds out there. If you don’t know what you’re doing, the better mutual funds are not only safer, but also often pay off better in the long run. That’s just my opinion.
Remember, if you jump on a bandwagon just after everyone else, you may be the first one to fall off when that wagon hits a bump in the road.