Favre calls it quits

http://www.charlotte.com/sports_breaking/story/521299.html

One of the truely good guys in sports and a great person in general. I always followed his career and was a strong Greenbay fan prior to the Panthers arriving. I think now’s as good a time as any. Good luck Brett!

He was such a good shortstop too.

Hopefully he doesn’t become the “Roger Clemmens” of football w/the annual retires and comes back for a 1 year tour…

-Otherwise good luck… the guy was simply tough as nails…he couldn’t get him off the field
-That’s why I was shocked this morning.

He was such a good shortstop too.
This man speaks the truth.

[QUOTE=Jersey Niner32;301463]Hopefully he doesn’t become the “Roger Clemmens” of football w/the annual retires and comes back for a 1 year tour…
[/QUOTE]
LOL, he could end up as the Michael Jordan of football and pick up another pro sport in retirement.

As much as I hate(d) Green Bay and Brett Farve because of the times he beat my 9ers in the playoffs, I’ve got nothing but respect for this guy. I will miss him.

Rumor is he retired because the Packers said they wouldn’t pursue Randy Moss.

The timing of his decision may back this up.

Where does he place all-time?

Mine:

1. Joe Montana
  2. John Elway
  3. Tom Brady
  4. Peyton Manning
  5. Steve Young
  6. Dan Marino
  7. Troy Aikman
  8. Brett Favre
  9. Terry Bradshaw
  10. Jim Kelly

I’m sure I forgot somebody. Just did it real quickly. I probably should include Johnny Unitas and Roger Staubach on there but they were before my time.

[QUOTE=Normmm;301562]Where does he place all-time?

Mine:

1. Joe Montana
  2. John Elway
  3. Tom Brady
  4. Peyton Manning
  5. Steve Young
  6. Dan Marino
  7. Troy Aikman
  8. Brett Favre
  9. Terry Bradshaw
  10. Jim Kelly

I’m sure I forgot somebody. Just did it real quickly. I probably should include Johnny Unitas and Roger Staubach on there but they were before my time.[/QUOTE]

1. John Elway
  2. Tom Brady
  3. Peyton Manning
  4. Joe Montana
  5. Steve Young
  6. Dan Marino
  7. Troy Aikman
  8. Johnny Unitas
  9. Terry Bradshaw
  10. Jim Kelly

there is no Farve in the top 10…

call me crazy but i’d have to put Favre before Aikman and Marino. And Brady and Manning should be black-listed for a few more years.:ohmy:

Hopefully he doesn't become the "Roger Clemmens" of football w/the annual retires and comes back for a 1 year tour....
thought the same thing but i can understand Favre reasoning.
call me crazy but i'd have to put Favre before Aikman and Marino. And Brady and Manning should be black-listed for a few more years.:ohmy:

Agree, Aikman was surrounded by possibly the greatest offensive cast ever, and Marino never won the big game and lost all his records to Favre.

This is good news for Panther fans. In a couple of years, we can sign Favre to finish the season for us.

now the question is… will i still pull for greenbay? bc favre was basically why i pulled for gb.

I’ll miss watchin this guy play next season - solid player, solid person.

Favre was pretty good. Not sure if he was as good as all the hype I heard on ESPN this morning.

Its sad to see but honestly he left on a great note, arguably one of his best seasons. It almost seems like he came about in the days of leather helmets, one of the few QBs I ever saw that would throw blocks like a fullback, I think he preferred to throw a football made of solid walnut.

Favre was pretty good. Not sure if he was as good as all the hype I heard on ESPN this morning.
He holds all-time records! And if you say because it is for how long he played, then that just add props to Favre.

[QUOTE=cibik02;301727]He holds all-time records! And if you say because it is for how long he played, then that just add props to Favre.[/QUOTE]

Don’t get me wrong. I didn’t say he was bad.

Sure, he holds all-time records.

Jack Nicklaus holds all-time records. Tiger Woods is in the process of breaking all of them.
Dan Marino held all-time records.
Hank Aaron held all-time records.

At some point in time, Favre’s records will be broken. Then what?

The only sports record I think it be difficult to break is Pete Rose’s hit total of 4256. A player will have to 200 hits each year for 20 years just to get to 4000.

All the other sports records are very subject to change.

more proof as to the overrated-ness of Brett Favre…

[QUOTE]Despite coming off his fantastic season, Favre’s initial explanation to the media (that voicemail to Chris Mortensen) seems to indicate Favre bailed on his teammates and fans because he doesn’t think the Packers could win a Super Bowl next season.

If that was among his criteria, shouldn’t he have retired in 1998? [/QUOTE]

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/TheSportingBlog/139744/

Agree, Aikman was surrounded by possibly the greatest offensive cast ever, and Marino never won the big game and lost all his records to Favre.

It’s so impossible to put complete logic into rankings like this but it’s still fun to do. Favre did break Marino’s TD record, but he also played longer. If the shoe was reversed then I believe Marino would have also played a couple of more seasons to break Favre’s record.

While he broke Marino’s TD record, I believe he also had more interceptions, less total yards and a lower QB rating.