FD postgame transcript from NinerReport

Since there’s so much interest in the FD game. The entire postgame press conference transcript is posted at NinerReport. Some things that stood out as I read it.

[URL=http://charlotte.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=756699]http://charlotte.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=756699[/URL]

Since everyone thinks Harris gets no credit from Lutz:

[QUOTE]“Those two guys were good (Gaby & Ian), but Dijuan was good, too. Dijuan had great defensive energy like he always does, passed the ball pretty well and handled the press pretty well I thought. He could have had a couple more assists had guys been able to make shots, but no doubt Ian offensively was really good.”
[/QUOTE]

We saw this quote in the Observer:

[QUOTE]“They are just total pests on defense,” said Knights head coach Tom Green. “They are just up on you all the time. They are the best athletic team we have played all year.”[/QUOTE]

On the rotation and right mix:

[QUOTE]Charlotte had six players grab five rebounds or more, eight players score, and nine players log at least 12 minutes.
“That’s a positive, and I have to do a better job of figuring out how to use them,” said Lutz when asked about his rotation. “It’s a positive, but it’s also a negative sometimes. It’s a fine line to get guys in the flow and use your bench properly.”[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Lutz: We rushed some shots we should have made and or been fouled. But, despite that, we are not happy with the way we played, but we are happy that we found a way to win the game. We will work hard to get better for Maryland coming up, and then Clemson, and then the A-10. [/QUOTE]

On Rebounding:

[QUOTE]Lutz: "You can’t fault their effort. We get rebound after rebound at the offensive end, but I wasn’t as pleased with their defensive rebounding, especially on the foul shots. Our offensive rebounding was terrific. We have talked a lot about it. We want the shooter to think that it’s going in, and we want everybody else to think that it is a miss, and I think the last couple of games you have seen that mentality. [/QUOTE]

Thanks Lefty! Good stuff.

I am glad Bobby is upset after a close win over a team we should blow out, better than some of the stuff he’s been saying the last couple of years.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;280327]I am glad Bobby is upset after a close win over a team we should blow out, better than some of the stuff he’s been saying the last couple of years.[/QUOTE]

I even heard him apologize to the crowd after the game for our performance in the game.

I was surprised to hear him do that.

I even heard him apologize to the crowd after the game for our performance in the game.

I was surprised to hear him do that.

Really? Didn’t know that. Thats a very good sign. So Lutz was upset with the performance, but various posters in the other thread were content with the FD game…interesting. :shades:

I have not been to a game yet ( I have watched 3 on TV and listened to almost all) but it seems that this team has the same problems they had last year- They cannot shoot the ball! They cant shoot from the field or from the FT line. Hard to be a great team when you have problems scoring. Below are Charlottes stats through the Hofstra game. Since then they have shot 36% @ Tulsa, 42.2% against GWU and 32.3% against FD. We used to have that go to guy we knew we could get a score from when we needed it (DeMarco, Galen). We haven’t had that in a while. Hopefully Anjaun or Cooley can become that guy (With Leemire shooting 38% overall and 35% from three and averaging 3.5 FT attempts per game, he is not it). Combine the fact that we can’t shoot with the fact that we cant rebound and it helps explain why this team has lost the games they have. :unhappy:

Thru Games 12/16/2007[URL=javascript:backToSchools();][U][COLOR=#0000ff]Back to team selections[/COLOR][/U][/URL][URL=javascript:showConf(820);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]Atlantic 10 - All Teams[/COLOR][/U][/URL]CategoryRankActualNational LeaderActual[URL=javascript:showRankings(145, 3);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]Scoring Offense (328 ranked)[/COLOR][/U][/URL]18768.8[URL=javascript:showTeam(741);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]VMI[/COLOR][/U][/URL] 98.6 [URL=javascript:showRankings(146, 3);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]Scoring Defense (328 ranked)[/COLOR][/U][/URL]12165.4[URL=javascript:showTeam(251);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]Georgetown[/COLOR][/U][/URL] 52.0 [URL=javascript:showRankings(147, 3);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]Scoring Margin (328 ranked)[/COLOR][/U][/URL]1443.3[URL=javascript:showTeam(768);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]West Virginia[/COLOR][/U][/URL] 29.4 [URL=javascript:showRankings(148, 3);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]Field-Goal Percentage (328 ranked)[/COLOR][/U][/URL]29439.7[URL=javascript:showTeam(702);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]Texas-Arlington[/COLOR][/U][/URL] 53.2 [URL=javascript:showRankings(149, 3);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]Field-Goal Percentage Defense (328 ranked)[/COLOR][/U][/URL]9641.1[URL=javascript:showTeam(251);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]Georgetown[/COLOR][/U][/URL] 34.5 [URL=javascript:showRankings(153, 3);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]Three-Point Field Goals Per Game (328 ranked)[/COLOR][/U][/URL]618.1[URL=javascript:showTeam(741);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]VMI[/COLOR][/U][/URL] 12.0 [URL=javascript:showRankings(152, 3);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]Three-Point Field-Goal Percentage (328 ranked)[/COLOR][/U][/URL]15735.3[URL=javascript:showTeam(167);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]Cornell[/COLOR][/U][/URL] 48.0 [URL=javascript:showRankings(150, 3);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]Free-Throw Percentage (328 ranked)[/COLOR][/U][/URL]26764.2[URL=javascript:showTeam(2699);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]IUPUI[/COLOR][/U][/URL] 81.2 [URL=javascript:showRankings(151, 3);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]Rebound Margin (328 ranked)[/COLOR][/U][/URL]264-3.0[URL=javascript:showTeam(746);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]Virginia[/COLOR][/U][/URL] 14.6 [URL=javascript:showRankings(216, 3);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]Assists Per Game (328 ranked)[/COLOR][/U][/URL]18113.4[URL=javascript:showTeam(694);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]Tennessee[/COLOR][/U][/URL] 21.3 [URL=javascript:showRankings(214, 3);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]Blocked Shots Per Game (328 ranked)[/COLOR][/U][/URL]954.0[URL=javascript:showTeam(164);][COLOR=#0000ff][U]Connecticut[/U][/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=javascript:showTeam(456);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]UNC Asheville[/COLOR][/U][/URL] 9.1
9.1 [URL=javascript:showRankings(215, 3);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]Steals Per Game (328 ranked)[/COLOR][/U][/URL]898.1[URL=javascript:showTeam(741);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]VMI[/COLOR][/U][/URL] 15.5 [URL=javascript:showRankings(168, 3);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]Won-Lost Percentage (328 ranked)[/COLOR][/U][/URL]9066.7[URL=javascript:showTeam(147);][COLOR=#0000ff][U]Clemson[/U][/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=javascript:showTeam(193);][COLOR=#0000ff][U]Duke[/U][/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=javascript:showTeam(251);][COLOR=#0000ff][U]Georgetown[/U][/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=javascript:showTeam(328);][COLOR=#0000ff][U]Kansas[/U][/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=javascript:showTeam(404);][COLOR=#0000ff][U]Memphis[/U][/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=javascript:showTeam(415);][COLOR=#0000ff][U]Miami (Fla.)[/U][/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=javascript:showTeam(433);][COLOR=#0000ff][U]Mississippi[/U][/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=javascript:showTeam(457);][COLOR=#0000ff][U]North Carolina[/U][/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=javascript:showTeam(545);][COLOR=#0000ff][U]Pittsburgh[/U][/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=javascript:showTeam(624);][COLOR=#0000ff][U]Sam Houston St.[/U][/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=javascript:showTeam(703);][COLOR=#0000ff][U]Texas[/U][/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=javascript:showTeam(702);][COLOR=#0000ff][U]Texas-Arlington[/U][/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=javascript:showTeam(736);][COLOR=#0000ff][U]Vanderbilt[/U][/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=javascript:showTeam(754);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]Washington St.[/COLOR][/U][/URL] 100.0
100.0 [URL=javascript:showRankings(217, 3);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]Turnovers Per Game (328 ranked)[/COLOR][/U][/URL]16215.2[URL=javascript:showTeam(703);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]Texas[/COLOR][/U][/URL] 10.2 [URL=javascript:showRankings(286, 3);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]Personal Fouls Per Game (328 ranked)[/COLOR][/U][/URL]23420.1[URL=javascript:showTeam(418);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]Michigan[/COLOR][/U][/URL] 13.1 [URL=javascript:showRankings(474, 3);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]Assist Turnover Ratio (328 ranked)[/COLOR][/U][/URL]1850.88[URL=javascript:showTeam(509);][U][COLOR=#0000ff]Northwestern[/COLOR][/U][/URL]

[QUOTE=Mullins Maniac;280344]I have not been to a game yet ( I have watched 3 on TV and listened to almost all) but it seems that this team has the same problems they had last year- They cannot shoot the ball! They cant shoot from the field or from the FT line. Hard to be a great team when you have problems scoring.

[/QUOTE]

This team has one of the same problems they did last year, and that is shooting, but we have improved tremendously in other areas. I agree that our problem is shooting and making the high percentage shots. Too many missed chip shots and dunks, not finishing on fast break layups, etc.

FreeThrows are improving from the first few games. I think the FD game was not too good though. We are missing a lot of shots and drives within 10ft of the basket (Gerrity, Dewhurst, Mack come first to mind)… They are good shots and they will fall…eventually…

hopefully

Really? Didn't know that. Thats a very good sign. So Lutz was upset with the performance, but various posters in the other thread were content with the FD game....interesting. :shades:
It might just be happy for the win. Is this team the best team in the last decade...No. Are they better than last year.... Yes. Does it seem like steps are being taken to improve the team in the future...Yes. It's kinda hard for me to get mad about how much we win by. We win...I'm happy...I hope we beat the next team.

Yes, I’m am glad Bobby is not content with that win… As a coach and players you want to strive for “PERFECT BASKETBALL”. For me as a fan… We won, I’ll let the coaches worry about by how many.

I’m probably the only one, but I wish we win by one point every game. It keeps it exciting. Blowing teams out is fun I guess but with out that chance of losing… seems boring.

It might just be happy for the win. Is this team the best team in the last decade...No. Are they better than last year.... Yes. Does it seem like steps are being taken to improve the team in the future...Yes. It's kinda hard for me to get mad about how much we win by. We win...I'm happy...I hope we beat the next team.

I’m probably the only one, but I wish we win by one point every game. It keeps it exciting. Blowing teams out is fun I guess but with out that chance of losing… seems boring.

That’s good for those in seats, but bad for the program in general. There’s the one level where you just enjoy a sporting event for the fun of it all (which is diminished when the game isn’t close) and the other level where you enjoy it because you genuinely support the team or college or country or whatever (which makes you want to see blowouts, especially in college sports where perception plays a bigger role in determining post season play than than it does in most pro sports).

[QUOTE=metro;280334]Really? Didn’t know that. Thats a very good sign. So Lutz was upset with the performance, but various posters in the other thread were content with the FD game…interesting. :shades:[/QUOTE]

Not content, just happy with the “W”. We are not the Tarholes and most top teams outside the top 10 have bad offensive games from time to time. Now if this becomes a pattern I’ll be concerned. If we won every game the remainder of the season by one point I’m sure most Niner fans wouldn’t complain…

Really? Didn't know that. Thats a very good sign. So Lutz was upset with the performance, but various posters in the other thread were content with the FD game....interesting. :shades:

I didnt see the FD game, so I cant speak to the preformance of the team. I am content with the outcome. It makes no difference to me how many points we win by, as long as we win.

If we won every game the remainder of the season by one point I'm sure most Niner fans wouldn't complain...

thank you Captain Obvious :smile:

I didnt see the FD game, so I cant speak to the preformance of the team. I am content with the outcome. It makes no difference to me how many points we win by, as long as we win.

Thats true in the NFL and NBA or MLB, but in college sports you need to step on throats of certain schools, and we didn’t. This was one of those games. This is a dead horse.

that said, I’ll take a one point victory Saturday :49ers:

[QUOTE=metro;280334]Really? Didn’t know that. Thats a very good sign. So Lutz was upset with the performance, but various posters in the other thread were content with the FD game…interesting. :shades:[/QUOTE]i personally was content because we won. i’m pretty sure if we took a poll not many people on this message board believed we would be 8-4 at this point.

[QUOTE=EJNiner;280368] If we won every game the remainder of the season by one point I’m sure most Niner fans wouldn’t complain…[/QUOTE]

I’d be happy, but probably in a hospital somewhere.

Thats true in the NFL and NBA or MLB, but in college sports you need to step on throats of certain schools, and we didn't. This was one of those games. This is a dead horse.

that said, I’ll take a one point victory Saturday :49ers:

I dont really understand why college sports are different? But your right, it is a dead horse.

i'm pretty sure if we took a poll not many people on this message board believed we would be 8-4 at this point.

looking at the sked preseason, I would of taken 8-4 and I will be pleased with 9-5 OOC. The reality is our opponents have SUCKED and 8-4 doesn’t look so impressive at this point.

I dont really understand why college sports are different? But your right, it is a dead horse.

I imagine the difference is that in the three leagues mentioned, postseason play is determined entirely by record. In college sports, perception plays a role.

I imagine the difference is that in the three leagues mentioned, postseason play is determined entirely by record. In college sports, perception plays a role.

Meh, I dunno.

If the Pats beat the Dolphins by a last second touchdown, does it really matter? They still won the game. I dont see why this is any different for college sports. If UCLA beat Podunk U on a last second half court buzzer beater, does it really matter? It still counts as a win no matter what.