First Football Town Hall Meeting - Info/clarification

[font=arial][size=2]I took the liberty to call the Athletic Dept to find out more about the football forum to understand why they are having it at 4:00. I found out this forum is primarily an opportunity for the campus community to ask questions and the AD to get feedback on how football will affect the campus, such as student life, housing, and campus community (a soon to be 15,000 seat expandable stadium is about to be built in someone’s backyard). It is open to anyone but the time was selected to best accommodate the on-campus people, and was done with student input. [/size][/font]

[size=2][font=arial]They said future forums will be held, likely at times that will be more conducive to those of us outside of campus and University area.
[/font][/size]

Good, cause McKnight Hall is a dump.

[quote=“LeftyNiner, post:1, topic:24874”][font=arial][size=2]I took the liberty to call the Athletic Dept to find out more about the football forum to understand why they are having it at 4:00. I found out this forum is primarily an opportunity for the campus community to ask questions and the AD to get feedback on how football will affect the campus, such as student life, housing, and campus community (a soon to be 15,000 seat expandable stadium is about to be built in someone’s backyard). It is open to anyone but the time was selected to best accommodate the on-campus people, and was done with student input. [/size][/font]

[size=2][font=arial]They said future forums will be held, likely at times that will be more conducive to those of us outside of campus and University area.
[/font][/size][/quote]

I called that from a mile away…best to accommodate the on-campus people AKA the AD who doesn’t want to miss dinner. And what student said, “perfect! now i can wait around for 45 min on campus for the AD to tell me they can’t comment on my question at this time.”

“Next time we will let people come”

Ok, that’s fine. But this still fits with what a lot of people complain about. That’s not a bad time for that kind of meeting. Someone said something about it not working for students because there are still classes at 4, but there are classes all day. The largest portions of classes are done by 4, and you want to still be able to get these early kids. This is a perfectly fine time if we are mostly targeting the campus community.

But do you see what has happened here? Because it wasn’t publicly specified to be targeting campus, people think we are idiots.

This is like anti-marketing. If someone doesn’t have a strong background with the school, now a good portion of their concept of us is that we are idiots who have townhall meetings for the entire community at 4pm. Everyone I have asked thinks 4pm is a dumb time for a general townhall. If you just throw the word “campus” in front of that though, suddenly people get that it’s not a general townhall and this is avoided. And you won’t scare away the non-campus folks that they apparently also want to come because it doesn’t say “campus only” or something.

tl;dr(lazy fuckers) - bold

[quote=“49or bust, post:4, topic:24874”]Ok, that’s fine. But this still fits with what a lot of people complain about. That’s not a bad time for that kind of meeting. Someone said something about it not working for students because there are still classes at 4, but there are classes all day. The largest portions of classes are done by 4, and you want to still be able to get these early kids. This is a perfectly fine time if we are mostly targeting the campus community.

But do you see what has happened here? Because it wasn’t publicly specified to be targeting campus, people think we are idiots.

This is like anti-marketing. If someone doesn’t have a strong background with the school, now a good portion of their concept of us is that we are idiots who have townhall meetings for the entire community at 4pm. Everyone I have asked thinks 4pm is a dumb time for a general townhall. If you just throw the word “campus” in front of that though, suddenly people get that it’s not a general townhall and this is avoided. And you won’t scare away the non-campus folks that they apparently also want to come because it doesn’t say “campus only” or something.

tl;dr(lazy fuckers) - bold[/quote]

I’m not saying 4 is too early. I’m saying if you want to have a meeting that students will attend. Make it after a class time…Not halfway through the middle. And btw if you go on campus you will see that tons of people leave at 445. it takes 20 min to get 2 miles up the street there are so many people leaving. Not nearly as many people leaving at 315 out of class. And generally night classes start at 6. so if most classes are out by 445 and most night classes don’t start till 6…

[quote=“LeftyNiner, post:1, topic:24874”][font=arial]I took the liberty to call the Athletic Dept to find out more about the football forum to understand why they are having it at 4:00. I found out this forum is primarily an opportunity for the campus community to ask questions and the AD to get feedback on how football will affect the campus, such as student life, housing, and campus community (a soon to be 15,000 seat expandable stadium is about to be built in someone’s backyard). It is open to anyone but the time was selected to best accommodate the on-campus people, and was done with student input. [/font]

[font=arial]They said future forums will be held, likely at times that will be more conducive to those of us outside of campus and University area.
[/font][/quote]

I call bullshit on that explanation.

"We want to reach out to the campus community, as well as the general public, to help answer questions that they might have about the 49ers football program," Rose said in a statement. "We are aware of the wide-ranging impact this football program will have and we want to hear from those that it will impact. This is their program. It is designed to impact campus life, student spirit, alumni relations and to build a stronger university. To be successful, we need to hear their voices, and this is another great opportunity that is still early in the game."

Read more: http://gmine.blogspot.com/2011/01/town-hall-meeting-for-football.html#ixzz1CizXTeor

Reading Judy’s quotes regarding the Goldmine announcement of this “forum” it says this meeting is for the campus community and general public and goes on to say they are looking for input from alums as well. Seems to me the athletic department realized they were too incompetent to hold a “forum” when a diverse crowd could show up and are now proving to be more incompetent in having to schedule another “forum” for alums.

I wasn’t really responding to that. Classes end at all times. If you start at 445, someone will be in class and some folks will just have to wait 45 minutes longer.

I wasn’t really responding to that. Classes end at all times. If you start at 445, someone will be in class and some folks will just have to wait 45 minutes longer.[/quote]
Yeah but the main schedule for the school is 8-915; 930-1045; 11-1215; 1230-145;2-315; 4-445

Now I realize that there are other classes at different scheduled times but this is what time the majority of students have class. If I was the AD I would schedule around one of these times when the majority of students would be getting out. I think there would be higher attendance numbers holding a meeting right after one of these class times. I guess I just felt they could have put a little more thought into it. Either way I can’t attend because I do have class.

[quote=“cdsniner, post:6, topic:24874”][quote=“LeftyNiner, post:1, topic:24874”][font=arial]I took the liberty to call the Athletic Dept to find out more about the football forum to understand why they are having it at 4:00. I found out this forum is primarily an opportunity for the campus community to ask questions and the AD to get feedback on how football will affect the campus, such as student life, housing, and campus community (a soon to be 15,000 seat expandable stadium is about to be built in someone’s backyard). It is open to anyone but the time was selected to best accommodate the on-campus people, and was done with student input. [/font]

[font=arial]They said future forums will be held, likely at times that will be more conducive to those of us outside of campus and University area.
[/font][/quote]

I call bullshit on that explanation.

"We want to reach out to the campus community, as well as the general public, to help answer questions that they might have about the 49ers football program," Rose said in a statement. "We are aware of the wide-ranging impact this football program will have and we want to hear from those that it will impact. This is their program. It is designed to impact campus life, student spirit, alumni relations and to build a stronger university. To be successful, we need to hear their voices, and this is another great opportunity that is still early in the game."

Read more: http://gmine.blogspot.com/2011/01/town-hall-meeting-for-football.html#ixzz1CizXTeor

Reading Judy’s quotes regarding the Goldmine announcement of this “forum” it says this meeting is for the campus community and general public and goes on to say they are looking for input from alums as well. Seems to me the athletic department realized they were too incompetent to hold a “forum” when a diverse crowd could show up and are now proving to be more incompetent in having to schedule another “forum” for alums.[/quote]

AD spin machine in action!

[quote=“HXC Niner, post:8, topic:24874”]Yeah but the main schedule for the school is 8-915; 930-1045; 11-1215; 1230-145;2-315; 4-445

Now I realize that there are other classes at different scheduled times but this is what time the majority of students have class. If I was the AD I would schedule around one of these times when the majority of students would be getting out. I think there would be higher attendance numbers holding a meeting right after one of these class times. I guess I just felt they could have put a little more thought into it. Either way I can’t attend because I do have class.[/quote]
OK, I’m a debater, so I’ll give it my take.

First, I think you have to give people 15 minutes to walk across campus. I think you probably would be wise to give them another 15 for leeway, finding McKnight, whatever. So now you are at 345. 4 oclock is rounder I guess.

Otherwise, giving this leeway, you are starting at 5:15. I think if you are starting after 5, you miss out on (more) kids who only had earlier classes. I’m just really not sure that there is a clearly optimal time.

They said that they had student input so iono, tho that could mean anything.

If they would have announced a series of town hall meetings and explained this first one is targeting the campus community, would anyone here have a gripe?

Everything is fine Brothers!!.. We have sold 3.2 billion FSL’s… We will have many forums for General Public, we just need to rent out Bank Of America Stadium on 12 consecutive nights to allow everyone a seat… We have also hired Vince Lombardi to coach and have told the Big East to go eat s*** as will be playing in the NFC South. Please stay tuned for further good news my Niner Brothers.

Signing off-

Baghdad 49er Bob

[quote=“LeftyNiner, post:11, topic:24874”]If they would have announced a series of town hall meetings and explained this first one is targeting the campus commununity, would anyone here have a gripe?[/quote]No, but I’m sure we could have found one :wink: .

Nah but seriously, that is more like how it should have gone. If their reasoning for not outright stating that it is focusing on the campus was because they were afraid of scaring away people who would otherwise come, simply mentioning that it targets the campus community while being open to all, would put the burden of idiocy on the people who don’t read that comment.

No, I wouldn’t, but I’m not holding out that they have another “alumni town hall meeting” if they do I’ll eat my words but I’m guessing this will be it. That would require them to do some work and actually stay past their bedtime (5 pm).

When they were conducting the feasibility study they had similar meetings with the comittee set up. One was to get the student’s feedback, one for alumni, and one for faculty/staff. That worked out well. I attended the alumni one and it was held after working hours. Something similar would be the way to conduct these Townhall meetings on football.

I don’t care if it’s 4:00 in the morning… as a die-hard Niner fan, I’ll find a way to be there. There is NO time that will be 100% OK with everyone so hopefully they will schedule add’l meetings with varying times. I’m not a huge fan of the Athletic Dept. but I honestly don’t believe it’s a conspiracy on their part to keep certain people out of the process!

The press release I read so “For the on campus community and students”…sounds like word of mouth and spreading stuff before a press release came out is to blame IMO

This would have been fine with me. But as is the case for much of our AD they suck at communication and understanding impact.

Chancellor Phil Dubois and athletics director Judy Rose will be at the forum, which is scheduled to start at 4 p.m., and is open to the university community and general public.

“We want to reach out to the campus community, as well as the general public, to help answer questions that they might have about the 49ers football program,” Rose said in a statement. “We are aware of the wide-ranging impact this football program will have and we want to hear from those that it will impact. This is their program. It is designed to impact campus life, student spirit, alumni relations and to build a stronger university. To be successful, we need to hear their voices, and this is another great opportunity that is still early in the game.”[left]
Read more: http://gmine.blogspot.com/2011/01/town-hall-meeting-for-football.html#ixzz1Cjsb8NC8[/left]

Of course.