Five Questions for Charlotte 49ers Coach Mark Price

MAYBE YOU REMEMBER Mark Price from his days as a sweet-shooting all-star point guard for the Cleveland Cavaliers. He retired in 1998 and has spent the past eight years in assistant coaching positions for five NBA teams—including, most recently, the Charlotte Hornets. But this spring, he accepted a job as head coach at UNC Charlotte. Here, he talks about why he decided to stay in town and his hopes for the 49ers.

[quote=“Nugget, post:1, topic:29918”]

MAYBE YOU REMEMBER Mark Price from his days as a sweet-shooting all-star point guard for the Cleveland Cavaliers. He retired in 1998 and has spent the past eight years in assistant coaching positions for five NBA teams—including, most recently, the Charlotte Hornets. But this spring, he accepted a job as head coach at UNC Charlotte. Here, he talks about why he decided to stay in town and his hopes for the 49ers.

http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Charlotte-Magazine/November-2015/Five-Questions-for-Mark-Price/[/quote] Here’s the question I want to hear.
“Coach Price, how does it feel to finish atop CUSA after being picked 11th in preseason”
In other words, I’m over these preseason interviews and ready to move on to the upcoming season. Hope springs eternal.

I just get this feeling that Mark Price is going to be a really good coach.

Since 1996 we have had three head coaches that were lousy with the media. Mark Price has already created excitement for the upcoming season, and done a slew of interviews on TV/radio/newspaper/magazines to promote us. If this man can coach we could get back to the NCAAs in my lifetime!

Since 1996 we have had three head coaches that were lousy with the media. Mark Price has already created excitement for the upcoming season, and done a slew of interviews on TV/radio/newspaper/magazines to promote us. If this man can coach we could get back to the NCAAs in my lifetime![/quote]
That’s only because he was a NBA superstar. The question is will they want to talk to him after year one

Since 1996 we have had three head coaches that were lousy with the media. Mark Price has already created excitement for the upcoming season, and done a slew of interviews on TV/radio/newspaper/magazines to promote us. If this man can coach we could get back to the NCAAs in my lifetime![/quote]

I expect to be back in the ncaas in 2016.

This year 55? That’s aggressive as hell

no, i meant next season.

clt asks why no one asked if Joe flacco was elite?

What?

What? Bobby was a staple in FNZ. Great relations there. When him, jags, Gary were on air it was gold.

He certainly improved quickly, but calling him lousy is an agenda that’s bogus.[/quote]

I always thought Lutz was pretty good with the media. His 610 spots were good

[quote=“s9er, post:12, topic:29918”]I always thought Lutz was pretty good with the media. His 610 spots were good[/quote]Yeah, I agree. I always enjoyed Lutz interviews.

I think Bobby was good on the air, I’d say the knock from what I understand more was getting him to do things with the public. Am I mistaken on that?

[quote=“moss2k, post:14, topic:29918”]I think Bobby was good on the air, I’d say the knock from what I understand more was getting him to do things with the public. Am I mistaken on that?[/quote]I don’t know well enough, but the few times I saw Bobby out at public events, he seemed very engaging with fans. That doesn’t necessarily mean he liked to do the events I suppose, but he put on a good show once he was at one.

What? Bobby was a staple in FNZ. Great relations there. When him, jags, Gary were on air it was gold.

He certainly improved quickly, but calling him lousy is an agenda that’s bogus.[/quote][/quote]

Everything is not an agenda, and I will give you that Bobby did FNZ more than I initially remembered, but in his 12 seasons I don’t think anybody would say he really worked the media. FNZ was our radio partner, and he became friends with some of those guys, so it was low hanging fruit. Ideally he would have been helping to generate the buzz and showing up everywhere. Hey, I still think the world of Lutz and would take CUSA 1.0 Bobby back any day.

Coaching is that mythical three-legged stool where programs like ours can pick two. Recruiting, coaching, and promoting, but you can’t have all three. Last time we had a one-legged stool. This time I am hoping we beat the odds.

He certainly improved quickly, but calling him lousy is an agenda that’s bogus.[/quote][/quote]

Everything is not an agenda, and I will give you that Bobby did FNZ more than I initially remembered, but in his 12 seasons I don’t think anybody would say he really worked the media. FNZ was our radio partner, and he became friends with some of those guys, so it was low hanging fruit. Ideally he would have been helping to generate the buzz and showing up everywhere. Hey, I still think the world of Lutz and would take CUSA 1.0 Bobby back any day.

Coaching is that mythical three-legged stool where programs like ours can pick two. Recruiting, coaching, and promoting, but you can’t have all three. Last time we had a one-legged stool. This time I am hoping we beat the odds.[/quote]
3 legged stool? LOL

More like a 20 legged stool. I don’t most people have any idea what it takes to run a program. Hell, I don’t think most people could coach a little league team for that matter.