Football Committee Minutes

President forwarded this to me. Looks good.

[CENTER][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]UNC Charlotte Football Feasibility Committee[/FONT][/FONT][/B]

[CENTER][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]12:30 – 3:30 pm, Tuesday May 8, 2007[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Charlotte Chamber of Commerce, Belk Action Center[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Lucida Sans][FONT=Times New Roman]330 South Tryon Street[/FONT][/FONT]

[B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Meeting Minutes[/FONT][/FONT][/B][/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

[FONT=Lucida Sans]
[/FONT]
[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans]Committee Members:[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans]Bill Hensley[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans]Jeff Leak[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans]Jeff Beaver[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans]Mary Ann Rouse[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans]Carl Scheer[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans]Bob Morgan[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans]Krista Tillman[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans]Ike Grainger[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans]Jay Atkinson[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans]Joe Price[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans]Mac Everett[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans][B][FONT=Times New Roman]UNC Charlotte Staff[/FONT][/B][I][FONT=Times New Roman]:[/FONT][/I][/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans]Kim Whitestone[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans]David Broome[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans]Phil Dubois[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans]Mike Hummer[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans]Judy Rose[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans]The Lee Institute:[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans][FONT=Times New Roman]Shawn Hegele[/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans]Vi Lyles[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans]Libby Cable[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans]Guests:[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2][FONT=Lucida Sans]Darin Spease[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Lucida Sans]
[/FONT]

[LIST]
[*][FONT=Lucida Sans][B][FONT=Times New Roman]Welcome and Introductions[/FONT][/B][FONT=Times New Roman] [I]Mac Everett, Chair[/I] [/FONT][/FONT][/LIST][FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Please save parking receipts and turn into Vi Lyles for reimbursement.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Please replace the meetings schedule in your notebooks with the new hand-out.[/FONT][/FONT]

[LIST]
[*][FONT=Lucida Sans][B][FONT=Times New Roman]Charge to the Committee [/FONT][/B][FONT=Times New Roman][I]Chancellor Phil Dubois[/I][/FONT][/FONT][/LIST][FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Committee has been selected to represent a variety of perspectives, but not to “cast a ballot on behalf of any group.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]As a collective, the goal is to come to a balanced recommendation whether and how UNC Charlotte should proceed regarding college football.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Using research, provide the University with the group’s best collective advice.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Different perspectives exist; one perspective sees football as an enhancement of a University in the national marketplace, essential to the undergraduate experience, valuable for fundraising, a money-making proposition; others feel the academic reputation of a University is first and foremost, and people ought to be mindful of the opportunity costs and consider the increases in fees. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Given the different perspectives, it may be unrealistic for this group to have a clear “bottom line.” However, the Committee should be able to synthesize those factors through the different perspectives.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Points to consider[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]With its rapid growth, the city may be ready for a college football program.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Handout: [I]The National Landscape of College Football[/I][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]University is planning for long-term, sustained growth (up to 35,000 students by 2020)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Athletics as the “Front Porch” of the University[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Assumption that if a university’s athletics are in good order, the rest of the university probably is as well.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Football possibly improves perception of University as a whole[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]In the media for more than basketball season[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Large amount of alumni interest [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]75,000 alumni[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]56% in Charlotte region[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]About half under 40[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Students are also interested in the possibility of football – results of student poll ought to be shared with the Committee.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Questions from Committee[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Pressure from outside?[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Erskine Bowles will support either way.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Other universities 30-35,000 students without football?[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]This question requires follow up.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Was media exposure better when UNC Charlotte was in Conference USA?[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Yes – conference does seem to affect media exposure.[/FONT][/FONT]

[LIST]
[*][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Responsibility of Committee for Open Meetings [/FONT][/FONT][/B][/LIST][FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Rules and practices [I]David Broome, General Counsel[/I][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Handout: [I]Open Meetings[/I][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]This Committee is a “public body”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]For most business, anyone who wants to attend can.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Committee members can control whether pictures are taken.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]There are limited circumstances when a closed session is allowed.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Closed session process: must reference the portion of the statute that allows for closed session (cannot just announce the group is now in closed session).[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]¡ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]David Broome will be consulted before any closed session.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Meetings must be publicized.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]If majority of Committee gathers to discuss meeting business, public notice must be given.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Committee must keep minutes – closed session and open session minutes should be kept separate.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Public Records Law[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Any communication can be a public record when it comes into the possession of a state employee (Emails to Chancellor, Judy Rose, David Broome, for example, will be considered public record).[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Example: a media representative could request, and lawfully obtain, the Chancellor’s correspondence regarding the Football Feasibility Committee.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Managing media relations [I]Mac Everett[/I][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Be mindful of “sound bites” when broadcast media is present.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]The Chair, Mac Everett, shall be the spokesperson for media communication outside of meetings, including handling of requests for minutes of meetings.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Forward all media representatives to the Chair.[/FONT][/FONT]

[LIST]
[*][FONT=Lucida Sans][B][FONT=Times New Roman]Establishing Committee Operating Agreements [/FONT][/B][FONT=Times New Roman][I]Vi Lyles[/I][I] and Libby Cable[/I][/FONT][/FONT][/LIST][FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]The Lee Institute vision and mission[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Vision: Collaboration builds strong communities.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Lucida Sans][FONT=Times New Roman]The Lee Institute [/FONT]designs and advances collaboration to achieve positive outcomes for its clients and their communities.[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Core values: fair, impartial, ethical, creative.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]The Lee Institute provides neutral facilitation.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Minutes will be sent out within 24-48 hours of each meeting.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Recordings of meetings are available upon request via electronic file or CD.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Upcoming meetings[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]See hand-out of updated schedule.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Please forward all questions to The Lee institute regarding topics of future meetings; The Lee Institute will forward them on to upcoming speakers to ensure they cover all necessary material.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Review of the assumptions [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Located on Committee Charge document[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Each model developed by the Committee must meet all of the assumptions.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Conference affiliation timing issues[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]There are no shifts in the landscape on the immediate horizon.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Once a football program is begun, it is difficult to remove it; the Committee should not recommend the University try football and then end the program as a contingency.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Agreement on process [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Handout: [I]Proposed Process for Identifying and Evaluating Models[/I][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]After the Learning Phase, the Committee will establish criteria for evaluating models.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]The Lee Institute will create a final report based on the Committee’s decisions, which will be submitted to the Chancellor as the Committee’s official recommendation(s).[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Guidelines for decision-making[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Handout: [I]Proposed Decision-Making Process[/I][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Consensus decision-making (every person in the room feels they have been heard, and then either endorses or can “live with” the decision.)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Use green (“I endorse the decision”), yellow (“I can live with/support the decision”), and red (“I need to ask some questions of those with green or yellow cards”) cards to express opinion on particular issues in order to give the Chair a sense of the level of consensus without hearing each [I]supportive[/I] person’s opinion verbally.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]¡ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]This is used specifically when a decision must be made by the group.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]¡ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]If there are red cards held up, the group stops and tries to understand the position of each person with a red card.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]When consensus is not possible, a vote will result; if 8 of 11 members support an issue, it will move forward. This is true of the final Committee recommendation as well – whether or not UNC Charlotte should have a football team.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]¡ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]The date for the final meeting has not yet been set.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Participation in meetings[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Committee members need to attempt to attend at least 75% of meetings.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Committee will try to accommodate those who cannot attend through conference calling.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Chair will participate in decision-making process.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Chair will handle proxy voting for those who cannot attend a meeting during which a vote takes place.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Ground rules[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Handout: [I]Draft Working Agreements[/I][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Changes or additions can be sent to Vi Lyles before the next meeting.[/FONT][/FONT]

[LIST]
[*][FONT=Lucida Sans][B][FONT=Times New Roman]UNC Charlotte Strategic Plan [/FONT][/B][FONT=Times New Roman][I]Phil Dubois[/I] [/FONT][/FONT][/LIST][FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Presentation Handout: [I]The University of North Carolina at Charlotte; Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow[/I][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Current projection is 35,000 students by 2020[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Some on main campus, some online/distance students, and others at uptown/satellite campuses.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Vast majority of income would come from full-time enrolled students (a portion of the projected 35,000).[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Master planning exercise on UNC Charlotte physical facilities will be held this Fall.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Undergraduate population has become more traditional with more residential students and Freshmen (as opposed to transfer students).[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]45% of students live on campus or within one mile.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Classroom space not a problem; office and laboratory space is less available.[/FONT][/FONT]

[LIST]
[*][FONT=Lucida Sans][B][FONT=Times New Roman]UNC Charlotte Athletics Programs[/FONT][/B][FONT=Times New Roman] [I]Judy Rose, Kim Whitestone[/I][/FONT][/FONT][/LIST][FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Presentation Handout: [I]Charlotte[/I][I] 49ers Athletics[/I][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Revenues, expenses, organization [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Programs and facilities [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Current facilities are relatively new and modern, although the tennis facilities are slightly “antiquated.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Good facilities help to attract and retain good coaches.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]There is a 49-year lease with City of Concord for short game golf facility at Rocky River.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]NCAA caps the number of student athlete equivalents that can receive financial aid by sport; UNC Charlotte currently has 119 student athlete scholarships, 66% of which are for women.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Student athletes have out-performed the general student body academically at UNC Charlotte over the last ten years.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Total annual giving to the Charlotte 49ers Athletic Foundation has increased from $835,000 in 2002 to over $1.1 million in 2006.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Title IX current compliance and assumptions for the future [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Title IX is a federal civil rights statute that prohibits sex discrimination in education programs, including intercollegiate athletics programs.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Wingdings]§ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]UNC Charlotte’s participation opportunities for women and men are currently at a 4.1% differential from the composition of the student body (compliance is 5% or less); if football is added, the differential would be 13%.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]¡ [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]UNC Charlotte would have an 8-10 year time frame to bring the differential into compliance.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Roster management or additional or enhanced women’s programs are ways to help solve this problem (women’s golf or lacrosse may be considered in this case).[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Often, young women are more reluctant to participate in intercollegiate sports unless offered financial aid, while men are more willing to walk on to men’s teams.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Nationally, many programs are not in compliance with Title IX, but regardless, beginning a football program at UNC Charlotte will mean creating a plan to regain compliance.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]Nationally, the proportion of college students who are women is increasing. This trend makes growth in athletics opportunities for men difficult within the context of Title IX compliance.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]o [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]The lack of funds is not a valid reason for being out of compliance with Title IX… [/FONT][/FONT]

[LIST]
[*][FONT=Lucida Sans]Next Steps and Closing[/FONT][/LIST]

[CENTER][B][FONT=Lucida Sans]Next Meeting: May 29, 8 am – 12 pm, Charlotte Chamber’s Briefing Center[/FONT][/B][/CENTER]

[RIGHT][FONT=Lucida Sans]Respectfully submitted by Shawn Hegele, The Lee Institute[/FONT][/RIGHT]

[CENTER][CENTER][B][FONT=Lucida Sans]UNC Charlotte Football Feasibility Committee[/FONT][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][FONT=Lucida Sans]Tuesday, May 29, 2007 [/FONT][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][FONT=Lucida Sans]Meeting Minutes Summary[/FONT][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][FONT=Lucida Sans] [/FONT][/B][/CENTER][/CENTER]
[LIST]
[][FONT=Lucida Sans]Attendance[/FONT][LIST]
[
][FONT=Lucida Sans]Committee Members: Atkinson, Beaver, Everett, Grainger, Hensley, Leake, Morgan, Price, Rouse, Scheer*[/FONT]
[][FONT=Lucida Sans]UNC Charlotte: Rose, Spease, Whitestone, Steve Hall (Signature Sports)[/FONT]
[
][FONT=Lucida Sans]Lee Institute: Cable, Hegele, Lyles[/FONT]
[][FONT=Lucida Sans]Guests: David Scott, Charlotte Observer[/FONT][/LIST][/LIST][FONT=Lucida Sans] [/FONT]
[LIST]
[
][FONT=Lucida Sans]Darin Spease, Associate Athletic Director, UNC Charlotte and Steve Hall, Signature Sports, presented a report on the economics of football including tangible and intangible benefits. The full presentation is on file at The Lee Institute.[/FONT][LIST]
[][FONT=Lucida Sans]Total estimated annual cost for UNC Charlotte with a start date of fall 2012 is $8.9m.[/FONT]
[
][FONT=Lucida Sans]The fee to join a conference can range up to $3m.[/FONT]
[][FONT=Lucida Sans]Athletic programs are primarily supported by student fees; student fee increases require approval of the UNC Board of Governors; fees would increase 4 to 5 years in advance of team play.[/FONT]
[
][FONT=Lucida Sans]Signature Sports, contractor for sponsorship revenues, estimates that football programs sponsorships will generate revenues of 2 to 5 % of expenses.[/FONT]
[][FONT=Lucida Sans]Current corporate/donor support through the Athletic Foundation generates $700-750,000, primarily due to men’s basketball; the current athletic budget is $8.8m.[/FONT]
[
][FONT=Lucida Sans]Tangible and intangible benefits include student support for the football experience; graduates living in the region; adding “presence brand” to the University and community support.[/FONT][/LIST]
[][FONT=Lucida Sans]Next Steps[/FONT][LIST]
[
][FONT=Lucida Sans]UNC Charlotte staff will generate a report on current inclusive student fees compared with other universities.[/FONT]
[][FONT=Lucida Sans]Public input for faculty, students and alumni will be held in September.[/FONT]
[
][FONT=Lucida Sans]The Committee will hold two meetings in August to frame models for consideration.[/FONT][/LIST][/LIST][FONT=Lucida Sans] [/FONT]
[B][FONT=Lucida Sans]Next Meeting: June 13; 1:00 – 5:00 pm, Charlotte Chamber’s Briefing Center; Presentation by Grant Teaff “Understanding National College Football”[/FONT][/B]

Thanks Gill! Was happy to see this…Erskine Bowles will support either way.
Given his love of UNC-Ch I was not so sure that would be the case.

Erskine Bowles will support either way.

That was what I thought was the most important part. It was good that they went ahead and got that response from him.

I don’t think representatives from schools that already have football (on Board at University of NC - the system) can say too much.

Nature Boy Football-WWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Let’s go Niners!!!

[SIZE=6][COLOR=green]HELL YEA!!! BRING US FOOTBALL!!! GO NINERS GO!!!:headbang: [/COLOR][/SIZE]

The master planning excercise on the physical facilities (to be held this fall) should be important and give the “road map” for where a future football stadium should be constructed on campus. This might even be a catalyst for long range additional land acquisitions.

[QUOTE=WBNiner;242432]Thanks Gill! Was happy to see this…Erskine Bowles will support either way.
Given his love of UNC-Ch I was not so sure that would be the case.[/QUOTE]

This might also indicate a willingness of the Board of Governors to vote for those student fee increases. It all but makes clear that Bowles will support the fee increases.

Heres some info on the people heading up the Lee Institute team for the Football Committee.

VI LYLES
Project Director
Joined The Lee Institute in 2004
Assistant City Manger of Charlotte
Training and Education
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from Queens College
Master of Public Administration from University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill
American Leadership Forum, Class II Senior Fellow
Trained in facilitation and public participation

LIBBY CABLE
Community Systems Director
Joined The Lee Institute in 2004
Previously worked with Foundation For The Carolinas and as a planning consultant for United Way and Community Health Services
Worked in health administration for 18 years at an academic medical center in Vermont
Training and Education
Bachelor of Arts from Bowdoin College
Masters in Community Systems Planning and Development from Pennsylvania State University
American Leadership Forum, Class V Senior Fellow
Trained in facilitation, public participation, and community collaboration

http://www.dukemansion.com/leeinstitute/

Bump

[QUOTE=Gill2003;242428]President forwarded this to me. Looks good.

[CENTER][B][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Lucida Sans]UNC Charlotte Football Feasibility Committee[/FONT][/FONT][/B]

UNC Charlotte’s participation opportunities for women and men are currently at a 4.1% differential from the composition of the student body (compliance is 5% or less); if football is added, the differential would be 13%.
¡ UNC Charlotte would have an 8-10 year time frame to bring the differential into compliance.
· Roster management or additional or enhanced women’s programs are ways to help solve this problem (women’s golf or lacrosse may be considered in this case).

[RIGHT][FONT=Lucida Sans]Respectfully submitted by Shawn Hegele, The Lee Institute[/FONT][/RIGHT][/QUOTE]

Key points to me: 8 to 10 years to get into compliance. I didn’t realize that. I thought we had to be into compliance right off the bat.

Others: Add scholarships to existing women’s programs is cheaper than starting new programs and as we discussed before, it will be much cheaper to run a D1-AA program for 4 -6 years at the beginning. We won’t need the 85 D1-A allows, will we?

While playing D1-AA…5 million in student fees + ticket sales + sponsors/advertising = profit that could be used to get into a new conference; C-USA or Big East.