Football parking at Kohl's

[font=Verdana][size=2]I guess this is as good a place as any to ask this, but has anyone considered parking across the street in the Kohl’s parking lot and walking from there? I don’t know that anyone would mind unless so many folks start doing it on game days that we take up a significant number of the spaces.[/size][/font]

I wonder what their reaction would be if you set up your tailgate on a patch of grass next to a parking deck? The only items I can see applying to this are “no tailgating at Phil’s house, at rec fields and athletics fields, botanical gardens, protected flood zones, wildlife areas, natural habitat areas and the graveyard” and “grills must be 15 feet away from buildings” and “pegging or staking of tents is prohibited”.

[font=verdana][size=1em]I guess this is as good a place as any to ask this, but has anyone considered parking across the street in the Kohl’s parking lot and walking from there? I don’t know that anyone would mind unless so many folks start doing it on game days that we take up a significant number of the spaces.[/size][/font][/quote]
Kohl’s boots student’s cars if they park there. I imagine the same would happen on game day unless Kohl’s decides to allow it.

It’s not about parking and walking for me. It’s the tailgate experience. There are many fine tailgaters on here, but the school NEEDS LOTS of different groups with different walks of life doing their own thing which eventually turns into a melody of tailgating. Restricting those who purchase seasons tickets from cooking seems stupid to me. Want money? Require a $150 donation to the 49er club in addition to lot purchase price (hint, we would do that!).

Sorry, I love the Niners to death, but my wife and I are very young in our careers. Even though we make good money, FSLs just weren’t (aren’t) high enough on the list of priorities over things like paying down student loans. I think its crazy that we can’t make a small donation to a good cause to get a lot where we can actually grill.

I have said from the beginning of all this to anyone who would listen that the biggest piece of whether football will be successful at Charlotte is the execution of tailgating. Now me and the two other friends I got on board to buy seasons tickets (6 in total for now) invested over $1,000 in the program for one season and we can’t even fire up a grill… Not even an option to buy into that… Seems sort of crazy to me.
As to FSLs, I think they should be held in a higher esteem, they should have premium parking, but to not make it an option is ludacris. My wife and I still intend to purchase FSLs at some point in the future, maybe next year if they are still around. More so as an investment in the program than anything else. That said, I’m hoping they can work out something more attractive to those who want to grill our own food and start our own tradition, but are under 30 and have other obligations above and beyond buying FSLs.

My $.02 - flame on.

" Restricting those who purchase seasons tickets from cooking seems stupid to me."

Emphatically this is NOT happening. Anybody can tailgate including cooking. The ONLY restriction is that if you are in a deck you have to take your grill to an open grass area. True, you are not at your car, but you are very much “tailgating” in the usual sense of the word. If you go set up your grill say in the grass next to the deck (assuming that the space is properly ventilated) then there will not be a problem.

[size=3][font=arial]“Fans wishing to pay cash on game day must enter the main University entrance from Highway 49 and proceed to the Cone Parking Deck.”[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=arial]"[/font][font=arial]Tailgating is prohibited in the following areas: Chancellor’s residence grounds and parking lot, Recreational Fields & Athletic Fields, Botanical Gardens, protected flood zones, wildlife areas, natural habitat areas and the graveyard near the stadium." [/font][/size]

[size=3][font=arial]
Park in the Cone Deck and take your stuff into the open between there and Halton. At least that’s what I would do. As long you clean up, I’m sure there will be no fuss. Lots of green space on campus.[/font][/size]

[quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:6, topic:27916”]“Fans wishing to pay cash on game day must enter the main University entrance from Highway 49 and proceed to the Cone Parking Deck.”

Park in the Cone Deck and take your stuff into the open between there and Halton. At least that’s what I would do. As long you clean up, I’m sure there will be no fuss.[/quote]

[font=Verdana][size=2]Sounds like a pretty good solution to me. I’ll probably try to go this route.[/size][/font]

Exactly Bleedsgreenandgold! The ONLY area on campus where you cannot set up a “tailgating” section is like the Chancellor’s house grounds, the Van Landingham Glen, and the cemetery. I guess you cannot have grills on brick pavers either, but you can have them on the grass next too it.

I was on one of the planning committees. I KNOW this is the intention of the rules - let people tailgate pretty much where ever they want to. The rulebook probably is not as clear as it could be (hey, I didn’t write it), but this is very much the intention and spirit. If you are in a deck (or a dorm) just drag your stuff to some place where you want to be and fire up.

FYI… Anyone wanting to tailgate feel free to join us at the normbulance. We will have grills and ice and corn hole. If you don’t want to drag stuff out just grab your meat and drinks and join us in the black lot.

[quote=“Ninercentral, post:4, topic:27916”]It’s not about parking and walking for me. It’s the tailgate experience. There are many fine tailgaters on here, but the school NEEDS LOTS of different groups with different walks of life doing their own thing which eventually turns into a melody of tailgating. Restricting those who purchase seasons tickets from cooking seems stupid to me. Want money? Require a $150 donation to the 49er club in addition to lot purchase price (hint, we would do that!).

Sorry, I love the Niners to death, but my wife and I are very young in our careers. Even though we make good money, FSLs just weren’t (aren’t) high enough on the list of priorities over things like paying down student loans. I think its crazy that we can’t make a small donation to a good cause to get a lot where we can actually grill.

I have said from the beginning of all this to anyone who would listen that the biggest piece of whether football will be successful at Charlotte is the execution of tailgating. Now me and the two other friends I got on board to buy seasons tickets (6 in total for now) invested over $1,000 in the program for one season and we can’t even fire up a grill… Not even an option to buy into that… Seems sort of crazy to me.
As to FSLs, I think they should be held in a higher esteem, they should have premium parking, but to not make it an option is ludacris. My wife and I still intend to purchase FSLs at some point in the future, maybe next year if they are still around. More so as an investment in the program than anything else. That said, I’m hoping they can work out something more attractive to those who want to grill our own food and start our own tradition, but are under 30 and have other obligations above and beyond buying FSLs.

My $.02 - flame on.[/quote]
I think the idea was more so that there are 5,000 FSLs and only a little more than 5,000 parking spots that are considered “tailgatable”, hence them saying they needed to make sure every FSL holder got a tailgate spot. That being said not every FSL holder bought a spot in a tailgate lot and of course not all the FSLs have sold yet. So I can see both sides. You are under 30 and didn’t buy FSLs. I graduated in 2011 and I got a credit card just so I could buy 3 FSLs. So there are always 2 sides to everything. And anyone is welcome to join me in the Red Lot as well.

[quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:6, topic:27916”][size=1.35em][font=arial]“Fans wishing to pay cash on game day must enter the main University entrance from Highway 49 and proceed to the Cone Parking Deck.”[/font][/size]

[size=1.35em][font=arial]"[/font][font=arial]Tailgating is prohibited in the following areas: Chancellor’s residence grounds and parking lot, Recreational Fields & Athletic Fields, Botanical Gardens, protected flood zones, wildlife areas, natural habitat areas and the graveyard near the stadium." [/font][/size]

[size=1.35em][font=arial]
Park in the Cone Deck and take your stuff into the open between there and Halton. At least that’s what I would do. As long you clean up, I’m sure there will be no fuss. Lots of green space on campus.[/font][/size][/quote]I would sure print out a copy of the tailgating rules and take it with me, just in case.

x2