Footing for name change argument

[COLOR=seagreen]Just ran across this the other night, I found it interesting.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=seagreen][/COLOR]
[COLOR=seagreen]" Charlotte. Simply Charlotte. After years of confusion and misrepresentations that have seen or heard the school’s identity mangled, the athletic department saw fit to simplify its name to “Charlotte”. And while the official school name remains “The University of North Carolina at Charlotte” or “UNC Charlotte”, the 49ers are urging fans and media alike to stop the insanity and call them “Charlotte.” Simply Charlotte. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=seagreen]No more N.C.-Charlotte. No more N.C.-Char. No more North Carolina-Charlotte. No more UNCC. No more UNC-C. No more UNCC at Charlotte. No hyphens, no spaces, no abbreviations. Charlotte. Simply Charlotte. Just as the 49ers Conference USA brethren survive as Memphis, Saint Louis, Cincinnati, Louisville or Houston so too will the 49ers prosper as Charlotte."[/COLOR]

And later

[COLOR=seagreen]“We are proud of our heritage,” Rose said. "We’re proud to be members of the North Carolina university system. But, frankly, we are tired of being confused with other institutions or having our own identity misused and misconstrued. It’s harder to make a name for yourself, when your name keeps getting confused. "[/COLOR]

[URL=http://charlotte49ers.cstv.com/genrel/082300aaa.html][COLOR=navy]http://charlotte49ers.cstv.com/genrel/082300aaa.html[/COLOR][/URL]

I’d still really love to get the ball rolling on this too if more people cared more about it.

Honestly I feel like it shouldn’t be an issue. We should have an identity as Charlotte, but keep the official name. Similar to Berkley.

I disagree. I know this has been a heated debate for a long time and everyone has stated thier feelings on the issue, but in MY mind: I feel that this school is in the midst of a huge change. New buildings, expanding enrollment, even a larger roll for the city we live in. This is all happening now, or is about to happen soon. CHANGE, that is what is happening here. This school will soon be a completely different place than it was when UNCC was adopted. This coming CHANGE registers us to abandon our old name and way, and adapt Charlotte as our new name sake to help identify this school as a newer, more modern, BETTER university than it ever has been before. That is the token my friends. A new name will tell other schools and people who attend them that we are here and we are a force to deal with.

As much as I want to see the name change, I personally am more committed to bringing football to Charlotte. Football would only further increase the reaons for a name change.

As much as I want to see the name change, I personally am more committed to bringing football to Charlotte. Football would only further increase the reaons for a name change.
Why not support both?

Agreed.

Why not support both?

We should focus are efforts on one goal. We’ll sound like a bunch of whiny kids if we want football, a name change, blah blah blah…

We should focus are efforts on one goal. We'll sound like a bunch of whiny kids if we want football, a name change, blah blah blah...
I disagree. We would sound like whiny kids if we wanted the "blah, blah, blah", but all we want fixed are these two huge problems. After that, I don't think anyone would have any major complaints about UNCC.

The name change issue and the football issue should not be tied together at all. Some people might like one idea but not the other so wouldn’t support the push. Keep 'em separated.

You know in 20 years or so… when all these young professionals moving here into charlotte… their kids will be going to a university… we need to make changes for that

Berkley is the University of California, the main branch of the Cal State university system. Basically the equivalent to what UNC-Chapel Hill is to the UNC system.

A name change to the University of Charlotte is the only way to go, IMO.

Berkley is the University of California, the main branch of the Cal State university system. Basically the equivalent to what UNC-Chapel Hill is to the UNC system.

A name change to the University of Charlotte is the only way to go, IMO.

that’s bullshit. berkeley is the oldest, but there is no central campus in the university of california system. its like the unc system. there is no “main” campus. and, when people refer to the UC’s they think just as much of ucla as they do berkeley.

When someone says the University of California, it means Cal-Berkely.

When someone says the University of North Carolina, it means UNC-Chapel Hill.

When someones says the University of Texas, it means UT @ Austin.

When someone says the University of Wisconsin, it means UW-Madison.

I could go on, but you get the point.

The University of Cincinnati is not confused with any other Ohio school, the University of Memphis isn’t confused with any other Tennessee schools, and the University of Louisville isn’t confused with any other Kentucky school. There is no reason why we can’t be the University of Charlotte.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;188022]When someone says the University of California, it means Cal-Berkely.

When someone says the University of North Carolina, it means UNC-Chapel Hill.

When someones says the University of Texas, it means UT @ Austin.

When someone says the University of Wisconsin, it means UW-Madison.

I could go on, but you get the point.

The University of Cincinnati is not confused with any other Ohio school, the University of Memphis isn’t confused with any other Tennessee schools, and the University of Louisville isn’t confused with any other Kentucky school. There is no reason why we can’t be the University of Charlotte.[/QUOTE]
Well said.

[QUOTE=49erPress;188018] and, when people refer to the UC’s they think just as much of ucla as they do berkeley.[/QUOTE]

Not true. When half of people hear Univ. of California, they think Berkely because California is their athletic name. that school is confusing. A lot of people dont know that berkely is the Cal golden Bears

[QUOTE=lutz9er;188030]A lot of people dont know that berkely is the Cal golden Bears[/QUOTE]

Im one of those people. Damn, you really do learn something new every day.

Im one of those people. Damn, you really do learn something new every day.
Yea I was only til recently one of those people. I think I learned that like a month or so ago. I actually think I thought Berkely and Cal were two different colleges.

Alright, neither one of these things is going to happen until we get the right leadership in place. Therefore, my goal is to let Judy Rose know she is no longer welcome here. We need an AD with vision. Then we have to rail DuBois. He is only concerned with making this school bigger, which in turn will lower admission standards, which will bring more Tarhole wannabes here. He could care less about a name change, he wants to grow the commuter campus.

Cal’s (Golden Bears, Pac 10 member) campus is located in Berkely. Most people refer to “Berkely” when discussing academics and “Cal” when discussing the sports programs. I guess that’s sort of the opposite of us.

I once knew a girl from upstate New York who went to grad school in Chapel Hill. She told me she (and others from her area) did not know Chapel Hill was the part of Univ of NC until she tried to apply to grad school. She had always just heard the name “Chapel Hill” and thought that was the name of the school.

This is the man for the job: BOYD CAUBLE, City of Charlotte Lobbyist, UNC Charlotte Alum, 49er Club member, Lists his hobbies in the article as Charlotte 49ers athletics.

I wasn’t able to access the entire story that ran in the Observer. Maybe someone else can get it.

HE GOT TO RALEIGH WITHOUT A SINGLE VOTE

Source: DAVID INGRAM, DINGRAM@CHARLOTTEOBSERVER.COM
Boyd Cauble might be called Charlotte’s extra lawmaker. When the N.C. General Assembly is in session, Cauble feels his way through the dark hallways and maze of offices in the Legislative Building to push for Charlotte’s interests. He worked to bring the NFL’s Carolina Panthers to town, to get state money for light rail and, more recently, to pay for a new arts complex by raising the tax on car rentals. The differences are that he’s not