For all you Scott Fowler bashers....

Get off his ass… He was just on Spanning the globe on Colin Cowherd’s show on ESPN radio and Colin asked him about the ACC(of course) and they went through the usual is the ACC the best conference talk and Scott talked about Wake, UNC, and Duke being in the top 7 in the country and that the bottem wasn’t as strong a the big east. He talked about State struggling and Sendek maybe getting fired and Carolina having the best chance to get to the final four. Then without provocation he said " The real team to watch around this area is the Charlotte 49ers, they are having an incredible year and should make alot of noise in the tourney."

It was a nice shout out that he didn’t have to do. So I hope thp people that emailed to complain about his Charlotte Attendence column(Which was all true, by the way) will email him and thank him for the National Shout out and very good exposure.

I think most people merely misinterpreted his column. He was basically saying what we’re saying… “What’s wrong with all you f-tards who aren’t going out to see the Niners?”

[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er[/i]@Feb 22 2005, 10:23 AM [b] Get off his ass... He was just on Spanning the globe on Colin Cowherd's show on ESPN radio and Colin asked him about the ACC(of course) and they went through the usual is the ACC the best conference talk and Scott talked about Wake, UNC, and Duke being in the top 7 in the country and that the bottem wasn't as strong a the big east. He talked about State struggling and Sendek maybe getting fired and Carolina having the best chance to get to the final four. Then without provocation he said " [b]The real team to watch around this area is the Charlotte 49ers, they are having an incredible year and should make alot of noise in the tourney[/b]."

It was a nice shout out that he didn’t have to do. So I hope thp people that emailed to complain about his Charlotte Attendence column(Which was all true, by the way) will email him and thank him for the National Shout out and very good exposure. [/b]

I heard it at 12:30 on 1660 here in Charlotte.

I did email him after it came out and took objection a little because I thought the fans responded pretty well for the Depaul game (I agree that overall he is correct about the local apathy). I also brought up the ACC perception thing and gave the example that my co-workers still think State (before they beat GT & MD) would be favored over Charlotte if they played.

On Colin Cowherd’s show, it seemed to me that Scott talked about the ACC, then State and that triggered his comment about us. :unsure: So could it be that by discussing the subject with him…actually led to our national exposure??? It sure doesn’t hurt as long as we are civil about it.

[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er[/i]@Feb 22 2005, 10:23 AM [b] Get off his ass... He was just on Spanning the globe on Colin Cowherd's show on ESPN radio and Colin asked him about the ACC(of course) and they went through the usual is the ACC the best conference talk and Scott talked about Wake, UNC, and Duke being in the top 7 in the country and that the bottem wasn't as strong a the big east. He talked about State struggling and Sendek maybe getting fired and Carolina having the best chance to get to the final four. Then without provocation he said " [b]The real team to watch around this area is the Charlotte 49ers, they are having an incredible year and should make alot of noise in the tourney[/b]."

It was a nice shout out that he didn’t have to do. So I hope thp people that emailed to complain about his Charlotte Attendence column(Which was all true, by the way) will email him and thank him for the National Shout out and very good exposure. [/b]

I heard that on sirius, Jimmy and nearly drove off the road. Fowler went out of his way to go off the acc line of questioning from Cowherd.

I don’t know much about Fowler because I don’t read the Observer but i thought a lot of you guys complained he was an accc Homer.

He sounded like anything but and ACC homer. There really was no reason at all to bring up our name, but he did it anyway. I took it from the coversation with Colin that he was letting Colin know that, “Ya the ACC is great and all, but you need to pay attenetion to the Charrlotte 49ers as well because they are having a great season and could make some noise in the NCAA’s”.

I heard it too. Mad props to Scott. He definitely diverted from the ACC line of questioning intentionally to mention the Charlotte 49er program and the team’s success.

Great Job!!!

If we had more of this type of willingness to push our product to the masses from ALL of our local media outlets…we wouldn’t constantly be fighting for respect/exposure/press/etc.

Scott deserves a big pat on the back for this one…maybe others will follow?

OK…maybe I’m dreaming on that one…but I can dream!

I also sent him a note of thanks and he replied to me within 2 hours. Classy. :thumbsup:

Where did you send the message??? Everyone on here should do the same.
I sent a note to his online Q and A.

[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er[/i]@Feb 22 2005, 03:24 PM [b] Where did you send the message??? Everyone on here should do the same. I sent a note to his online Q and A. [/b]
[email]sfowler@charlotteobserver.com[/email]

Fowler has given us props before. I’ve always had the impression that he has respect for our program… unlike some other Observer people.

Thought you all might find this interesting: As posted on the observer website

Q.

Don’t have a question Scott, just wanted to thank you very much for the shout out you gave the 49ers on Colin Cowherds show this morning. I also appreciate your column last week urging Charlotte fans to go see the Niners. I know it is not your job to promote the Niners, so I really appreciate it when you help spread the word about us. Thanks Again, Jim 91’ and season ticket holder.
Winston-Salem 2/22/05

A.

Jim, No problem. The 49ers deserve the national exposure this year. That doesn’t mean I’m never going to rip them if they lose badly, of course – gotta be honest with the readers – but what I’ve seen from them time and again this year is the consistency they’ve had problems with in the past. Basden’s development has been so huge for them. I’d love to see Plavich and J.J. Redick play HORSE. I will be covering the 49ers’ game Wednesday against Memphis along with our excellent beat writer, Jena Janovy, so there’ll be a lot of coverage in Thursday’s paper no matter how that game turns out.
Scott Fowler 2/22/05

I got a reply from Scott this morning too.