for those who say....

[QUOTE=gotLutz;279123]Nobody ever said it’s impossible to recruit talent in the A10. It’s just harder to do, compared to the old days in the CUSA. Period.[/QUOTE]

Agree. It’s not the geographic location, it’s the teams.

Thanks for posting that Run.

I still am confused as to why people continue to bitch about the geography of the A10, but completely ignore how effed up the geography was in CUSA! At least the A10 has settled on a region of the country. CUSA was all over the place.

cusa was at least smart enough to create divisions.

cusa was at least smart enough to create divisions.

cusa was smart enough to eliminate divisions, too.

[QUOTE=metro;279169]cusa was at least smart enough to create divisions.[/QUOTE]
Metro, is was OK when it was 2 divisions, but that 3 division beginning was really stupid. And let’s not forget that it took the elimination of divisions for the original C-USA to reach its zenith in the number of bids to the Big Dance.

Another westward expansion and CUSA can have an Atlantic Division an a Pacific Division.

i dont agree with the statement that we are recruiting against the acc. acc teams are always gonna land five star players, we rarely do. there is enough talent in this state and surrounding states(acc country) to pick up good players. weve never seemed to have too much trouble recruiting the northeast and our affiliation with the a10 should make our school a more familiar name to northeastern ball players.

[QUOTE=run49er;279104]FWIW, this is where the 39 2008 A-10 recruits listed on CSTV.com come from (Northeastern states in bold):

Connecticut = 2
Georgia = 1
Illinois = 2
Kansas = 1
Maryland = 1
Massachusetts = 3
Michigan = 4
Missouri = 1
New Jersey = 4
New York = 2

North Carolina = 1
Ohio = 3
Ontario = 2
Oregon = 1
Pennsyvlania = 5
Quebec = 1
West Virginia = 1
Wisconsin = 1

Australia = 1
Chad (Africa) = 2 (by way of prep school in Virginia)

TOTAL = 39

Using the traditional definition of the northeastern United States as defined by the U.S Census Bureau – Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont,
Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania – those 9 states account for 16 of the
recruits, or 41%. Even if we make Maryland a “honorary” member of the Northeast, that only adds one more. Hmmm…[/QUOTE]

It may be a little bit of a stretch but I think it would be fair to include Ontario, Quebec and Ohio (with Dayton and Xavier) in the NE totals,
which would change it from 16 to 22 of the 39 recruits, or 56%.

Having said that, I don’t think geography is the issue either. The issue was that CUSA had Cincy and Louisville, in the early stages,
and then Marq and Memphis in the later stages, which were 4 teams better than the anything the A10 had to offer.

[QUOTE=ninerfan55;279204]i dont agree with the statement that we are recruiting against the acc. acc teams are always gonna
land five star players, we rarely do. there is enough talent in this state and surrounding states(acc country) to pick up good
players. weve never seemed to have too much trouble recruiting the northeast and our affiliation with the a10 should make our
school a more familiar name to northeastern ball players.[/QUOTE]

I kind of see what what you mean. But clearly we compete against the ACC. They’re by far our biggest disadvantage when it comes
to recruiting. Just in recent years I can think of Ish Smith, Von Wafer, Jamie Skeen, Nolan Smith, Anthony Morrow, KC Rivers, Scooter
Sherril, JJ Hickson, Tracy Smith. All committed to the ACC and ranked higher than anybody we landed.

[QUOTE=ninerfan55;279204]i dont agree with the statement that we are recruiting against the acc. acc teams are always gonna land five star players, we rarely do. there is enough talent in this state and surrounding states(acc country) to pick up good players. weve never seemed to have too much trouble recruiting the northeast and our affiliation with the a10 should make our school a more familiar name to northeastern ball players.[/QUOTE]

If you go to Rivals or Scout and look at recruits that we missed out on the last few years (diamonds in the rough that we were in the lead for until either they broke out one tournament or the coach saw Lutz was recruiting him so they decided to take a look too) then you’d see how we are competing with the ACC, like it or not. We don’t try to compete with them all the time, Lutz and company do a great job of identifing talent but so often nowdays other teams also find that talent before we get a signature.

This Year;
Victor Davila

Last year;
Demontez Stitt
Jeff Jones
Terrence Oglesby

That’s just the past 2 years and only kids we were leaders for at one point in time and all were 3 stars with the exception of Jones. That does not include other players we offered (the list would almost triple). SEC, Big East, Big 12 sneak in occasionally too but the ACC (Wake, VT and Clemson mostly) have done very well in following Lutz around.

Marquie Cooke (VT)
Anthony Morrow (GT)
Deron Washington (VT)
Jerome Habel (Fl St)

KC Rivers (Clemson)

Ish Smith (WF)
Jamie Skeen (WF)

Demontez Stitt (Clemson)
Nolan Smith (Duke)
Jeff Jones (Virginia)
Terrence Oglesby (Clemson)

Victor Davila (VT)

That’s 12 in the last 5 years that Rivals lists and I’m pretty sure there are some on here (like L.D. Williams) that I think we recruited but no longer show up on Rivals as recruited by us. Still, that averages to 2 recruits a year lost to the ACC. Plus 2008 isn’t over yet (although it’s pretty close). SEC seems to be 2nd as far as conferences we lose recruits to.

[QUOTE=ninerfan55;279204]i dont agree with the statement that we are recruiting against the acc. acc teams are always gonna land five star players, we rarely do. there is enough talent in this state and surrounding states(acc country) to pick up good players. weve never seemed to have too much trouble recruiting the northeast and our affiliation with the a10 should make our school a more familiar name to northeastern ball players.[/QUOTE]

If we don’t recruit against the ACC, then please explain why our recruits are always talking to Clemson, Wake, Virginia, State, ect… Additionally, please, PLEASE! do not give teams like Wake and State credit just because they are in the ACC. Your comment “acc teams are always gonna land five star players” should say 5 star recruits rank the ACC highly, but the teams [B][I]landing[/I][/B] them are mostly Duke and Chapel Hill not the entire ACC.

do not give teams like Wake and State credit just because they are in the ACC. Your comment "acc teams are always gonna land five star players" should say 5 star recruits rank the ACC highly, but the teams [B][I]landing[/I][/B] them are mostly Duke and Chapel Hill not the entire ACC.

Or teams like Va Tech. To be honest, I’m not exactly 'WOW’ed by the signings of the lower ACC teams as I am with the Dukes and Chapel Hills.

[QUOTE=survivor45;279231]Or teams like Va Tech. To be honest, I’m not exactly 'WOW’ed by the signings of the lower ACC teams as I am with the Dukes and Chapel Hills.[/QUOTE]

But even the lower ACC teams are signing guys we target. The O had a nice little article on that prior to the Wake game.

Since Lutz finally dropped the “I can’t recruit in the A-10” excuse, perhaps it’s time to stop beating that poor horse even more since it can’t get anymore dead that it already is.

[QUOTE=VA49er;279238]But even the lower ACC teams are signing guys we target. The O had a nice little article on that prior to the Wake game.[/QUOTE] Wake fans do not consider themselves to be one of the lower ACC teams… no matter how much they suck. Same goes for NCSU fans.

The aforementioned is QFT.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;279274]Wake fans do not consider themselves to be one of the lower ACC teams… no matter how much they suck. Same goes for NCSU fans.[/QUOTE]

Don’t matter what the fans think when they aren’t the ones choosing the the likes of Wake and State over the Niners to play basketball.