Frank, where's the love for Basden?

Frank Burlison of FOXSports.com offers his suggestions for conference players of the year and apparently needs someone to inform him about Mr. Basden!

[b][b]CONFERENCE USA

The logical candidates: Francisco Garcia[/b] (Louisville), Quemont Greer (DePaul), Curtis Withers (Charlotte) and Travis Diener (Marquette).

We’ll go with: Garcia.

And here’s why: The 6-foot-7 Garcia has the edge because his team is on top of the conference and he’s among the most versatile players in the country. But Withers and Greer are closing the gap in a hurry.[/b]

Link: Pencil in these guys for top honors

Yes, Withers has blown-up of the past 6-7 games, but Eddie has been there all season.

BTW, Matt Swierad mentioned during his post-game comments on FNZ that he would vote for Eddie as C-USA POY.

GO NINERS!!!

Burlison is one of the least informed writers on the college hoops beat. Historically, he’s always gone with the usual suspects.

Email time, be sure to provide stats!

I know Charlotte is not particularly loved throughout the league but for the life of me I don’t think anyone else has been more consistent and valuable to a team than EB this season. It will be politics alone to keep from from this award.

Even if Garcia gets it, you can pencil this lineup in for

1st Team All Conference

PG Travis Deiner
SG Fransisco Garcia
SF Eddie Basden
PF Curtis Withers
PF Quemont Greer

I’ll take 2 guys. Although Hicks/Maxiell could sneak in.

doesn’t the conference champ deserve two guys 1st team, especially if one is the league MVP (CWithers) and one is the two-time def. POY (EBASDEN)

HP ye statmaster diety, where does Eddie rank currently in steals nationally?

you can email big Frank here: frank.burlison@presstelegram.com

BTW, how was Basden only credited with five steals last night? I was counting and I know he had more than that…

Didn’t he have 5 in the first half alone?

FIVE, the number of pieces of chocolate I ate on the trip home. I thought he had a few more than 5 as well but I personally was only counting Iti’s rebounds last evening (2) and the number of times CharlotteAlum griped at an official (I’m still totalling that).

My response from Frank:

[b] Yeah . . . I know Basden's accomplishment. PRobably should have mentioned him, too, but Withers is the guy Charlotte is pushing hard, nationally, etc. Remember, that was just an ``early'' look, with three weeks to go. Things are going to change, especially if Garcia/Louisville continue to struggle and guys like Greer, etc, keep playing great.

Take care and thanks for writing!

Frank B[/b]

[i]Originally posted by LutzFan[/i]@Feb 17 2005, 12:23 PM [b] My response from Frank:
[b] Yeah . . . I know Basden's accomplishment. PRobably should have mentioned him, too, but Withers is the guy Charlotte is pushing hard, nationally, etc. Remember, that was just an ``early'' look, with three weeks to go. Things are going to change, especially if Garcia/Louisville continue to struggle and guys like Greer, etc, keep playing great.

Take care and thanks for writing!

Frank B[/b]

[/b]

His response proves he still has no idea whats going on. Is he an ACC’er?

[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Feb 17 2005, 11:48 AM [b] HP ye statmaster diety, where does Eddie rank currently in steals nationally? [/b]
Still at number 3 today, NLNP...
  1. Obie Trotter, Alabama A & M, 22 games, 85 steals, 3.9 per game
  2. Chakowby Hicks, Norfolk State, 22 games, 74 steals, 3.4 per game
    3) Eddie Basden, Charlotte, 23 games, 71 steals, 3.2 per game
  3. Keydren Clark, Saint Peter’s, 23 games, 73 steals, 3.1 per game
  4. Kevin Hamilton, Holy Cross, 24 games, 75 steals, 3.1 per game

It will take some effort to move any higher at this point.

Plavich still is #1 in 3-pointers with 3.9 per game (86). J.J. Reddick is second with 3.8 per game (80) in one less game. Wonder what he’ll do against Va Tech tonight?

I too got a reply from Burlison.

[b]Randy,

Yes, I’m very aware of Basden …fine all-around player, etc.

But Charlotte is pushing WIthers for national honors, etc.

The other thing is, that was perspective on SO FAR, with about
three weeks to go.

Obviously, things could change, especially if Garcia continues to
slump and others continue to play well, etc.

Thanks for the note!

Frank B[/b]

He’s a writer for the Long Beach Press-Telegram, so he’s far removed from ACC country!

If this were a CUSA player and Coach vote. Basden would win in a runaway.

Since the writers are voting, my guess is Garcia because of the pub. It is clear that the writers spend to much time writing and to little time watching the games.

Which writers vote? Is it just beat writers and such that cover C-USA? Or does some douche in Seattle have a say?

[i]Originally posted by Pork Chop[/i]@Feb 17 2005, 12:47 PM [b] Which writers vote? Is it just beat writers and such that cover C-USA? Or does some douche in Seattle have a say? [/b]
It's just Conference USA writers.