Free Throw shooting...

There is good news and bad news on the FT shooting front.

We have raised our team average to 64.4%.

Basden’s performance last night got him over 70% on the year.

Withers is slowly getting better after a horrible start.

Baldwin is a team high 83% and it looks like his shot will hold up under pressure.

EJ is also over 80%.

The bad news is that we have 2 starters in Iti and Plavich that are both shooting 35% for the season and neither is showing any signs of improvement to this point.
If these two can’t find a way to make progress they will be huge liabilities, especially on the road and in post season.

On the bright side it is really impresive that we are shooting 64.4% as a team despite Iti and Plavich. Both have taken a considerable amout of free throws and really bring the team average down. If you take away Iti and Plavich, the team is shooting 72% which would be in the top 50 in the country.

There is still hope.

Interesting. Baldwin is a poor shooter for a D1 guard. Plavich is one of the best, yet Baldwin is almost 50% higher from the line. Unbelievable. Someone explain that one. It would be good to get 50% out of Iti.

And Plavich is on fire on the road so I’m not worried about his road performance. He averages over 5 threes per game on the road. Iti will get hacked to death the rest of the year.

[i]Originally posted by BPfor3[/i]@Jan 9 2005, 10:15 PM [b] Interesting. Baldwin is a poor shooter for a D1 guard. Plavich is one of the best, yet Baldwin is almost 50% higher from the line. Unbelievable. Someone explain that one. It would be good to get 50% out of Iti.

And Plavich is on fire on the road so I’m not worried about his road performance. He averages over 5 threes per game on the road. Iti will get hacked to death the rest of the year. [/b]

[b]Baldwin is a poor shooter for a D1 guard. Plavich is one of the best[/b]

Well Plavich is a better outside shooter than Baldwin but at 39% from the field he is by no means “one of the best”, however his 35% FT is hard to figure out. As a 2 guard he should at least be in the 70% range.

[i]Originally posted by BPfor3[/i]@Jan 9 2005, 10:15 PM [b] Iti will get hacked to death the rest of the year. [/b]
A la "hack-an-Iti".

Plavich will never be a good shooter at the line with his current form. It’s all arms, no bending of his legs at all.

HP, you’ll be hard pressed to find a better form in the country. He may not be shooting well, but I think most of it is due to the pressure he puts himself under. He needs to just slow down and relax.

I have to disagree. He is stiff when he shoots a FT and his stance is completely different now from earlier in the season. Something is wrong when he was 78% from the line last season.

I keep thinking that Plavich is going to snap out of it… hitting only 1/3 against EZU, that obviously hasn’t happened yet. He was 38/49 (77.6%) last year. He was 32-37 (86.5%) in 2001-02 with Vanderbilt.

Sadly I don’t think Iti will ever be a good free throw shooter. If he could get to 60% I would settle for that.

Now I’ll agree HP that he is stiff as a board. However I believe that’s due to the pressure he puts on himself to perform well at home. No reason a player’s road FT% is significantly higher than his home % unless it’s that he’s pushing himself to hard. He needs to just relax and take his time. If you watch him the majority of the time he’s strong, that’s what happens when a player is too excited.

“I didn’t see the Syracuse game in person. But I saw Plavich hit seven 3-pointers in a row Wednesday night. And it was remarkable”.

Scott Fowler , Charlotte Observer, December 9, 2004

I’ve seen BP miss 4 of 6 FTs he got after being fouled attempting two 3s. THAT too is pretty remarkable. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that fouling him is probably a good defensive ploy. If I were an opposing coach, I think I’d risk it.

Yeah Plavich has stunk it up thise year at the line. Wonder if teams will begin the Hack-a-Plav strategy.

[i]Originally posted by switchfoot[/i]@Jan 10 2005, 01:29 PM [b] Yeah Plavich has stunk it up thise year at the line. Wonder if teams will begin the Hack-a-Plav strategy. [/b]
He wasn't exactly Mark Price last year.

Let him shoot free throws from behind the arc.

No…that wouldn’t work. He’d need somebody in his face too.

We’re all offering up suggestions on how Lutz can get them to shoot better. I found this from San Antonio Spurs coach, Greg Popovich.

Q: How do you approach your team’s poor foul shooting at this point, because is there anything really you can do?

Popovich: No, I don’t approach it at all. I don’t do anything. Nothing I can do about it. They will go in or they won’t.

We’ll continue to get 50,000 letters from gurus that can change it all and that will be something that will happen, has always happened. When I was with Nellie (Don Nelson), I remember somebody asking Nellie, well, why do you guy the shoot free throws so well?

He said, “Because Chris Mullin is shooting them.” And that’s the deal. Teams that shoot free throws well have good free throw shooters. There’s probably some guy hanging around trying to take the credit that that he taught them this, that and the other. It’s all baloney. They have good free throw shooters. If Steve Kerr was shooting all of our free throws, we would be a hell of a free throw team. When you start getting beyond that, it gets a little silly.

That doesn’t explain how a guy goes from 75% to 35% in 2 years. And considering he’s not exactly leading the nation in 3 point fg%,and he’s a defensive liability…maybe it’s time for lutz to have some cohones and reduce his minutes.

[i]Originally posted by lucky57[/i]@Jan 11 2005, 10:34 PM [b] That doesn't explain how a guy goes from 75% to 35% in 2 years. And considering he's not exactly leading the nation in 3 point fg%,and he's a defensive liability..maybe it's time for lutz to have some cohones and reduce his minutes. [/b]
For the record I was only trying to post a positive thread about our free throw shooting but Lucky may be onto something.

Maybe coming off the bench would be better for BP and the team.

[i]Originally posted by 49er1[/i]@Jan 12 2005, 07:17 AM [b] Maybe coming off the bench would be better for BP and the team. [/b]
I think BP will be fine and start hitting his threes and FT's but we don't exactly have many options at the 2. Sager hasn't shown anything. Baldwin can't stretch the defense. Goldwire is young. Too bad Bennett isn't available. 15-20 from him would be a big boost.

Although “young” seems to be a dirty word in lutz’ vocab…maybe it’s not such a bad thing.I’ve heard him on 3 postgame shows talkin about how he likes goldwires game,and he really gives the team some needed energy(not to mention a better press,and the ability to drive the lane…which brendan unfortunately doesn’t have)…but he always says he’s scared to because leemire is so young…maybe he’s so young that he doesn’t feel the pressure that a senior trying to go out in a blaze of glory puts on himself…Just a thought.

I like what I’ve seen on Goldwire’s game and I have no problem with BP, just with his shot selection. If he takes good 3s he usually makes them, it’s the fade away, off balance 30 footers I have a problem with. Is that too crazy?