Free Throws?

It seems we can’t make a free throw to win a game if we wanted to. Of the past two games, Xavier and Fordham, the Niners have lost by only two points in each. Looking at our horrific free throw shooting, a few more made shots from the gimmie line and we could have won these games.

We shoot many more free throws than our opponents but still fail to shoot over 70%. Vs. Fordham we shot 60%. Being as aggressive as we have been in the paint, which I’ve been campaigning for for about ten years, we should know how to follow up with some made free throws. Looks like another good start is going to turn into another mediocre season. We need a change in “something.”

DB

It seems we can't make a free throw to win a game if we wanted to. Of the past two games, Xavier and Fordham, the Niners have lost by only two points in each. Looking at our horrific free throw shooting, a few more made shots from the gimmie line and we could have won these games.

We shoot many more free throws than our opponents but still fail to shoot over 70%. Vs. Fordham we shot 60%. Being as aggressive as we have been in the paint, which I’ve been campaigning for for about ten years, we should know how to follow up with some made free throws. Looks like another good start is going to turn into another mediocre season. We need a change in “something.”

DB

I can’t even remember a Charlotte team that was good at closing games out at the line. I’ve been watching for 10 years now. You’d think we’d learn by now that FREE throws are important.

FT’s? Hmmm. Clemson is really bad, but Memphis is ranked in the bottom 5% of
all D-1 schools from the FT line and they are ranked #1. Go figure.

FT's? Hmmm. Clemson is really bad, but Memphis is ranked in the bottom 5% of all D-1 schools from the FT line and they are ranked #1. Go figure.

So are you saying free throws aren’t important? When the other team can do a hack-a-Shaq on you when you’re in a close game going down to the wire, that’s ok? Mempiss has been able to overcome so far with talent, but them not being good at free throws will hurt them come tourney time. I hope I’m misunderstanding your argument, because if I’m not, than that is one of the most asinine posts I’ve ever read.

[QUOTE=fishniner;296353]Clemson is really bad, but Memphis is ranked in the bottom 5% of
all D-1 schools from the FT line and they are ranked #1. Go figure.[/QUOTE]
Being undefeated doesn’t hurt… :rolleyes: :tongue:

BTW, did anyone see the UAB-Memphis game? Sounds like the Blazers blew it, but I also get the impression that the refs “helped” out the Tigers as well at the end from reading comments by both Coach Davis and Vaden.

Submarley, FT’s are critical imo. I’m just astonished that teams like Clemson and
Memphis can be very successful with no FT ability. Maybe it has something
to do with both of those teams being “Tigers”! lol

Submarley, FT's are critical imo. I'm just astonished that teams like Clemson and Memphis can be very successful with no FT ability. Maybe it has something to do with both of those teams being "Tigers"! lol

You might be on to something here. Maybe we should change our names to the Charlotte Tigers.

Wait till tourney time, the twin Tigers of Memphis & Clemson will become lead balloons w/out FT shooting.

Why doesn’t Coach tell them to shoot free throws during their free time? Maybe the Niners don’t need to limit their basketball practice to scheduled basketball practices. In every sport or profession, the only people who make it to the top and remain there are those that go out of their way to be perfect. Get on it Guys.

Practice doesn’t make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

Why doesn't Coach tell them to shoot free throws during their free time? Maybe the Niners don't need to limit their basketball practice to scheduled basketball practices. In every sport or profession, the only people who make it to the top and remain there are those that go out of their way to be perfect. Get on it Guys.

Practice doesn’t make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

I know you are probably only a kid, but to make a comment that a D1 school doesnt work on FT’s is stupid. We are talking about 18-22 years old kids missing pressure shots. Not because they arent practicing those FT’s, but live games and practices are different. I know they seem easy to us as we play in our glorified pick-up games, but throw in a team like Xavier, 9-10k fans, game on the line, and I bet our results would be the same. Just like making 3’s and other shots…Lee doesnt miss in practices…heck, even phil jones can shoot 3’s in practice, but that doesnt simulate real games…I hear all of these excuses…the coach, the players, the fans, etc. and the bottom line is we aren’t going to get the Memphis type kids, the Carolina kids, the Duke kids…because all of these places have what we dont have…MONEY…ALUMNI…AND TRADITIONS…and in Memphis and others case…CHEATERS…look at what Delante Hill did at KSU…that is why Bobby said bye to him…its simple…we play in a weak conference in the middle of ACC country and we have subpar talent…winning 16-17 games is all we can do…be happy and support our program…

I know you are probably only a kid, but to make a comment that a D1 school doesnt work on FT's is stupid. We are talking about 18-22 years old kids missing pressure shots. Not because they arent practicing those FT's, but live games and practices are different. I know they seem easy to us as we play in our glorified pick-up games, but throw in a team like Xavier, 9-10k fans, game on the line, and I bet our results would be the same. Just like making 3's and other shots....Lee doesnt miss in practices....heck, even phil jones can shoot 3's in practice, but that doesnt simulate real games....I hear all of these excuses....[B]the coach, the players, the fans, etc. and the bottom line is we aren't going to get the Memphis type kids, the Carolina kids, the Duke kids...because all of these places have what we dont have.....MONEY......ALUMNI.....AND TRADITIONS.....and in Memphis and others case....CHEATERS.....look at what Delante Hill did at KSU.....that is why Bobby said bye to him.....its simple....we play in a weak conference in the middle of ACC country and we have subpar talent.....winning 16-17 games is all we can do.....be happy and support our program....
[/B]

…oh my…where to start…

Speaking as an ALUM, I can say with confidence that of the 100 plus Niner games I’ve been to, a few more made free throws would have won us more games and brought us more support.

Be happy with 16 wins a season?

Color me retarded, but I like winning, not losing, and if practicing free throws until our FT% increases by only a few points is the difference in a winning season and a losing season, then I’m all for the KIDS standing out at the RDH at 10pm or later just to hit a few more. We can do it in 1977 and not now??? Come on.

but throw in a team like Xavier, 9-10k fans, game on the line, and I bet our results would be the same.
Fordham had a little over 2000 fans in their stadium.
because all of these places have what we dont have.....MONEY......ALUMNI.....AND TRADITIONS.....
We have facilities, alumni, and tradition far greater than Monmouth, Fordham, and Richmond. What's your excuse for losing to them?
and in Memphis and others case....CHEATERS.....look at what Delante Hill did at KSU.....that is why Bobby said bye to him.....
We tried to keep Hill. We couldn't afford him.
its simple....we play in a weak conference in the middle of ACC country and we have subpar talent.....
Our conference is one of the best in the country this year. We have many prestigious schools with rich basketball history. The A10 bashing just makes you look stupid.
winning 16-17 games is all we can do.....be happy and support our program....
Get a clue, tool. You don't support the program. You support Lutz over all else.
I know you are probably only a kid, but to make a comment that a D1 school doesnt work on FT's is stupid. We are talking about 18-22 years old kids missing pressure shots. Not because they arent practicing those FT's, but live games and practices are different. I know they seem easy to us as we play in our glorified pick-up games, but throw in a team like Xavier, 9-10k fans, game on the line, and I bet our results would be the same. Just like making 3's and other shots....Lee doesnt miss in practices....heck, even phil jones can shoot 3's in practice, but that doesnt simulate real games....I hear all of these excuses....the coach, the players, the fans, etc. and the bottom line is we aren't going to get the Memphis type kids, the Carolina kids, the Duke kids...because all of these places have what we dont have.....MONEY......ALUMNI.....AND TRADITIONS.....and in Memphis and others case....CHEATERS.....look at what Delante Hill did at KSU.....that is why Bobby said bye to him.....its simple....we play in a weak conference in the middle of ACC country and we have subpar talent.....winning 16-17 games is all we can do.....be happy and support our program....

Have your opinion, because you’re entitled, but it’s attitudes like this that have made this school ok with being mediocre in athletics. It’s this way of thinking that made it so we do not have football yet. Except your position boys, if we do that we won’t fall. I’m sick of excepting. I’m sick of being content. I’m sick of stepping back and looking at this years “preseason” expectations and saying, oh well, maybe next year. This team proved they were better than "preseason expectations early in the year, so expectations change. Anyone who has ever worked anywhere or been on any kind of team knows that if you do better, your goals and expectations get harder. It’s called improvement. Change will come because now we have students and alumni who are not satisfied with 16-17 win seasons. Get on board or not, but this train is moving, and in 10 years down the road or maybe a bit longer, you’ll see why the push was happening for change.

And that excuse about free throws is ridiculous. Every other team in the country has 18-22 year old kids as well. There is no excuse you can make for the way we do and have shot at the line for the past decade.

GO NINERS!!

And that excuse about free throws is ridiculous. Every other team in the country has 18-22 year old kids as well. There is no excuse you can make for the way we do and have shot at the line for the past decade.

GO NINERS!!

I’m glad I’m not the only one who cares that we miss free throws consistently and you’re right it’s people who are content with mediocrity that say it’s ok to lose. It’s not ok to lose. Losing sucks and changes have to be made so you don’t lose again. We shouldn’t play down to every team’s level. We have more talent and should play consistently better.

completely agree

both us and our opponents shoot 68%, the difference is we have gone to the line 597 times to our opponents’ 513. That means we are getting 3.5 more FT per game. I’d say that is from having superior athletes.

[URL]http://charlotte49ers.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/ncch-m-baskbl-CumulativeStats.html[/URL]

I would like us to hit more clutch FTs and hit our tech fouls. argggh

True. That’s a heck of a lot more attempts, mainly because we are actually attacking and taking it to the basket, finally, and get getting fouled nearly every time. We should keep it up only if we’re prepared to make the free shots. If we don’t care about free throws we might as well just keep heaving up three pointers like every other year and hope we can win games that way.

Color me retarded, .

I’ve got to keep up with the new crayola colors…

I was 16-18 in HS and would practice free throws after practice on my own for atleast half an hour. We used to go in pairs to shot 10 and switch, 5x each but you still need more than that. Then again I wasn’t in the 18-22 bracket so I just guess this doesn’t apply to me by ninerdad’s logic.

[QUOTE=ninerdad101;296676]I know you are probably only a kid, but to make a comment that a D1 school doesnt work on FT’s is stupid. We are talking about 18-22 years old kids missing pressure shots. Not because they arent practicing those FT’s, but live games and practices are different. I know they seem easy to us as we play in our glorified pick-up games, but throw in a team like Xavier, 9-10k fans, game on the line, and I bet our results would be the same. Just like making 3’s and other shots…Lee doesnt miss in practices…heck, even phil jones can shoot 3’s in practice, but that doesnt simulate real games…I hear all of these excuses…the coach, the players, the fans, etc. and the bottom line is we aren’t going to get the Memphis type kids, the Carolina kids, the Duke kids…because all of these places have what we dont have…MONEY…ALUMNI…AND TRADITIONS…and in Memphis and others case…CHEATERS…look at what Delante Hill did at KSU…that is why Bobby said bye to him…its simple…we play in a weak conference in the middle of ACC country and we have subpar talent…winning 16-17 games is all we can do…be happy and support our program…[/QUOTE]

This is absolutely the dumbest post I’ve read on this board …EVER! You think Bobby wanted Delonte to leave? You think we have to cheat to be better? I hear Bobby EVERY FRIGGIN YEAR at least 3-4 times explaining in a postgame after we lost another close game with missed FT’S about how we practice them endlessly.Well, maybe we ought to simulate different situations in practice.I’m not a coach or a genius,but damn,if you’ve been doing the same thing for umpteen years and its not working how bout changing?..OR YOU CAN JUST SAY WE SHOULD BE HAPPY WITH MEDIOCRITY…WHATEVER