Fundraising Idea - Calender

Stick this somewhere prominent in/on your calendar and it will sell itself:

If all of the proceeds are going to the Athletic Foundation, then I donā€™t think the copyright issues will be a huge problem.

As for the fund for football, is it really hands off? I mean does the AD have the ability to leverage those funds or the interest it gains for other things? I really liked the endowment idea.

It is really hands off. It is earmarked for football and cannot be spent on anything else. He strongly encouraged me to donate money to other funds. But I think balanced donations can have an affect. For example, donā€™t quit giving money to the general fund. Send in your donation to the Athletic Foundation, but add $100 or so to it specifically for football. That way, they can reach the goal of fully funding scholarships for existing sports AND make money to start a football program. At this point, I think the only thing that will get the attention of the administration will be money.

Of course, any money we raise for football would go to the football fund.

Is there anyway to make our football efforts official on campus. Maybe an organization or something that is recognized by the U?

Is there anyway to make our football efforts official on campus. Maybe an organization or something that is recognized by the U?

Sure. If you can get 8 students to sign a paper, you can have a student organization for anything. And I mean anything.

Also, we could register with the Alumni Association as an official alumni group. That would make it easier for us to get access to school logos, etc.

Sure. If you can get 8 students to sign a paper, you can have a student organization for anything. And I mean anything.

Also, we could register with the Alumni Association as an official alumni group. That would make it easier for us to get access to school logos, etc.

Well, I am a student so weā€™ve got 1.

As for allocation of earnings, would it be wise to keep all the earnings and try and make more money. It takes money to make money, so if we raise X from the calender and t-shirts, instead of putting the money in the universitieā€™s football fund where it will just sit, we could us X to make Y, hopefully Y>X. Then at some point when we are satisfied with our total, we inform the adminā€™s of how much we have and see what they have to say. If our total isnā€™t enough for them, we raise more using our earnings to that point.

Well, I am a student so we've got 1.

As for allocation of earnings, would it be wise to keep all the earnings and try and make more money. It takes money to make money, so if we raise X from the calender and t-shirts, instead of putting the money in the universitieā€™s football fund where it will just sit, we could us X to make Y, hopefully Y>X. Then at some point when we are satisfied with our total, we inform the adminā€™s of how much we have and see what they have to say. If our total isnā€™t enough for them, we raise more using our earnings to that point.

I think our most likely donation source will be through direct donations to the school because they are tax deductible (and larger). A $20 calendar will make us 7 or 8 bucks. But a focused fund drive could net tens of thousands of dollars in direct donations. At some point, the risk will outweigh the gains, so we need to be careful not to spend a ton of money on something that will be a bust. A calendar could cost a huge amount of money, then not sell at all. We are looking for low risk.

If we want the administrationā€™s attention, we need to show lasting results. Lasting results include a swelling football fund in the Athletic Foundation.

This might sound stupid and risky

But what if there are a couple good CPAā€™s or other wall streeters in the crowd, could they not make investments, and look for gains? I think it would work like 401k or something?

Hey 49er sign up in that other Charlotte Football thread. We can make it work!

I had an epiphany earlier. One great way that many organizations have raised money has been with a calender. Chick-fil-a has been quite successful with their calender. I'm not sure if they still do, but a fraternity on campus (I'm almost positive it was PKA) had a calender at one point. We could do the same thing.

I had a few ideas of what we could use. One was to have Norm being at different locations. I like to think Iā€™m pretty good with photography so I had some ideas for places and setups. One was to have a picture facing the beach and Norms back. He would be chilling in a beach chair on a nice day maybe holding a drink. Another would be for him to be downtown somewhere. Another would be him in Halton Arena. There are only 12 months so Iā€™m sure I can come up with more places if I spend a little more time on it. I realize Norm is an official school icon and we have had trouble getting cooperation in this area from the school, but if we have a guy wearing a Norm mask, or all shots that arnt head on but have a person wearing a hat like Normā€™s, or have a guy that looks like Norm wearing the same hat, then we should be able to okay.

Another idea I had was to have a ā€œWhereā€™s Norm?ā€ calender. It would be similar to ā€œWhereā€™s Waldoā€ and have Norm in various locations during a time where it would be crowded. For January and the new year, we could have a scene in downtown right at midnight with everyone going crazy. During bball season we could have a scene in Halton after we win a big game and storm the court. July can have him at a 4th of July celebration. We could have one during the academic year of the quad with the Belk tower in the center and students hanging out or heading to class. Peacher Gary could be on the stump to add to the reason why its so crowded and give something people can relate to and maybe add an extra person to find for that scene. Many students could be wearing Niner Nation shirts, regular charlotte shirts, and have other school items in the pictures. Again, only 12 months so Iā€™m sure I can think of more ideas. I would love to animate it or work with someone or let someone else do it if they are a talented artist. I am good, but I donā€™t know if I am good enough. I also donā€™t know if this would be plagarism of the ā€œWhereā€™s Waldoā€ books but I wouldnā€™t think so.

These are just 2 ideas, but I am sure we can think of more if these arenā€™t popular. What we could do to make the calender more desireable is to get local businesses to give us coupons to place on the bottom of the calender like the Chick-fil-a calender. We can also mark dates like the schoolā€™s birthday and sporting event days. Lemme know what you guys think. If we atleast like the calender idea, I am sure there is something we can put on it for pictures.

im in pi kappa alpha and yeah we do the calender thing, or try to do it every year with charlotte girls, and the money goes to charityā€¦we used a really good photographer and the cost was pretty high, but if you plan it out well, you can make back a ton of moneyā€¦i think its a good idea