FYI observer

Here is why Grey should not be featured on the front page and Withers sent to the back pages. As I manitoned in other e-mails wake forest has 4990 alumni in Mecklenburg and the five surrounding counties. In the same territory the Charlotte 49ers have 35,276. Now tell me again Mike P. why was wake featured over Charlotte on the front page?

Lake, I think Mike is trying to stay away from us. He may read your stats but I doubt he responds to them.

Because it’s not all about alumni. You have 35K alumni and 20K-plus students and can’t fill a 9,000-seat arena.
Besides, as I said before, that was about the quality of the interviews and the content of the stories. Justin Gray trying to change positions (he’s struggling, as you’ve seen) is a big story.
It’s not an exact science, folks. Your whining over the placement of a story on a day we wrote about both kids (and referred to Withers and Redick from the front since all three couldn’t go out there) is both unbecoming and laughable.

Actually your newspaper is laughable…

This is a classic example of “don’t let the facts get in the way of my perceived reality”. I show you hard numbers and am accused of wining and am laughable and unbecoming. No wnoder folks we can’t get a break in the “sports” section.

[i]Originally posted by Mike_Persinger[/i]@Jul 29 2005, 10:30 AM [b] Because it's not all about alumni. You have 35K alumni and 20K-plus students and can't fill a 9,000-seat arena. [/b]

And you can’t fill your section with stories, so what’s your point?

Click here to see what I mean.

[i]Originally posted by Mike_Persinger[/i]@Jul 29 2005, 10:30 AM [b]You have 35K alumni and 20K-plus students and can't fill a 9,000-seat arena. [/b]
I disagree with many things Mike says, I disagree with many things I assume Mike does at the paper...

BUT I can do nothing but agree with this statement. This is not Mike’s problem…it is the Athletic Dept’s problem. It is not sufficient justification to bury 49ers stories, but until it is fixed, it will (IMO) be thrown back in the face on every 49ers fan/alum/student and there is nothing we can say but “Yeah, you’re right”.

I’ve tried giving my tickets away when I can’t go or have extras…nobody wants them. Worse yet, is to suggest going to a sporting event other than men’s basketball…I’ve gotten responses that would imply that I’m from another country.

[i]Originally posted by SilvioDante+Jul 29 2005, 12:21 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (SilvioDante @ Jul 29 2005, 12:21 PM)
[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud+Jul 29 2005, 12:20 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (NinerLoudNProud @ Jul 29 2005, 12:20 PM)
[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud+Jul 29 2005, 11:20 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (NinerLoudNProud @ Jul 29 2005, 11:20 AM)
[i]Originally posted by NormanNiner[/i]@Jul 29 2005, 12:16 PM [b] I'd like to see the rationale for the Cannonball story. A Carolina Living story on the front page of the sports section. WTF? [/b]
Just something different in the middle of the summer. Some people liked it, some people didn't. Depends on how much of a traditionalist you are. Good art. And it was one paper out of 365 we'll do this year. I see no problem with doing something different every once in a while. It's not like it was either that or the Super Bowl.

No but it was the difference between kids jumping into the pool and a nice rare summertime piece on sat Eddie and the bulls or Curt and USA basketball or the NIners transition to the A-10.

the cannonball story is just embarrasing…do us all a favor, call jason jordan up and get him to write for your paper so interviews with eddie basden can replace the cannonballs!!

[i]Originally posted by lake49er[/i]@Jul 29 2005, 11:40 AM [b]You must be hannging out with the wrong people. :P Seriously though I have no problem getting folks to take my tickets on the rare occasion I can't go to a game. There is also a system in place to give your tickets back to the ticket office and they will redistribute them. You can do this by phone.[/b]
Yeah, I probably do hang out with the wrong people, but I'm old enough to remember Mike Pratt coaching the team, so "it is what it is"..

Sure, I know all about the redistribution process (& I have used it), but the fact is the tickets become AVAILABLE for redistribution. There is no guarantee they WILL get redistributed. This process doesn’t fix the problem identified by that person at the Carolina’s only regional daily newspaper.

[i]Originally posted by mazzniner[/i]@Jul 29 2005, 12:55 PM [b] the cannonball story is just embarrasing...... [/b]
Sure, it was embarrasing to Charlotte sports fans, but we need to realize that Mike's job is to appeal to the entire Carolinas region.

This story might of played very well in places like Latta, SC or Welcome, NC. Ya gotta think big picture.

[b]Just something different in the middle of the summer. Some people liked it, some people didn't. Depends on how much of a traditionalist you are. Good art. And it was one paper out of 365 we'll do this year. I see no problem with doing something different every once in a while. It's not like it was either that or the Super Bowl. [/b]

The different is, it is not a sport and does not belong in the sport section.

JASON JORDON FOR OBSERVER SPORTS EDITOR!!! :clap: :toast: :clap:

Right on que, this is the time of year when the Observer folk which troll here start to snivel about their weakness in covering the local team. Nothing new. It’s gotten to the point of just cut-and-paste from year’s past with a new date.

I see ,we should just shut up sit down and know our place like good little niners. Go ahead it’s your choice. I won’t be joining you though.

[SIZE=2]C A N N O N B A L L[/SIZE]…
the word now used by 49ers fans in place of the term, bullsh*t!