Games of interest, Saturday, December 1, 2007

New Hampshire (3-2) at [B]Rhode Island[/B] (7-1), 1:00
Long Beach State (1-4) at [B]Saint Louis[/B] (5-3), 2:00
Penn State (3-3) at [B]Saint Joseph’s[/B] (3-2), 4:00
Belmont (5-2) at [B]Xavier[/B] (5-1), 7:00
Canisius (0-5) at [B]Saint Bonaventure[/B] (3-4), 7:00
[B]Dayton[/B] (4-1) at Holy Cross (6-0), 7:00
[B]Massachusetts[/B] (5-1) at IUPUI (4-2), 7:00
[B]Duquesne[/B] (6-0) at Drake (4-1), Iowa Realty Tournament, Des Moines, IA, 8:30
Duke (7-0) at [B]Davidson[/B] (3-2), 12:00
[B]Georgia Tech[/B] (3-3) at Vanderbilt (6-0), 1:00
USC Upstate (0-6) at [B]Wake Forest[/B] (4-1), 1:00
[B]High Point[/B] (2-3) at Longwood (2-6), 2:00
South Carolina (4-3) at [B]Clemson[/B] (6-0), 4:00
UNC Wilmington (4-2) at [B]Hofstra[/B] (1-2), 4:00
[B]Appalachian State[/B] (3-4, 0-1) at Georgia Southern (5-1, 1-0), 7:30
[B]Illinois-Chicago[/B] (3-3) at Illinois State (4-2), 8:00
[B]Tulsa[/B] (2-2) at Arkansas-Little Rock (5-1), 8:00
Indiana (5-1) at [B]Southern Illinois[/B] (3-1), 9:30

Two biggest games from that list are Duke v. Davidson and Indiana v. Southern
Illinois. I’ll pull for Davidson and Southern Illinois, but of course either one
will be mad if they lose and then come to Charlotte.

USC Upstate (0-6) at Wake Forest (4-1), 1:00

USC Upstate??? Maybe Wake was looking past us for this game.

[QUOTE=pcon;272849]USC Upstate (0-6) at Wake Forest (4-1), 1:00

USC Upstate??? Maybe Wake was looking past us for this game.[/QUOTE]

I swore they played SEC this week, being USC-Cola and Vandy I think it was… hmmmm

Chevee, Wake Forest plays at Vanderbilt on Wednesday and at Georgia next Saturday.

The Vandy game is part of a new rivalry with “like schools.” Vandy and WFU played the first football game last week of a 10-game series. With the exception of a break next season, the teams will play a home-and-home series the Saturday after Thanksgiving for the next 9 years. They will also compete in other sports too.

It won’t do much for fans, but the ACC-SEC connections will help over the years for both programs.

Belmont 49
[B]Xavier 90[/B]

Canisius 64
[B]Saint Bonaventure 80[/B]

[B]Dayton 55[/B]
Holy Cross 53

[B][COLOR=Red]Duquesne 73[/COLOR][/B]
Drake 77

Long Beach State 48
[B]Saint Louis 52[/B]

[B][COLOR=red]Massachusetts 77[/COLOR][/B]
IUPUI 89

New Hampshire 76
[B]Rhode Island 87[/B]

Penn State 67
[B]Saint Joseph’s 79[/B]

[B][COLOR=Red]Appalachian State 72[/COLOR][/B]
Georgia Southern 85

Duke 73
[B][COLOR=red]Davidson 79[/COLOR][/B]

[B][COLOR=red]Georgia Tech 79[/COLOR][/B]
Vanderbilt 92

[B]High Point 80[/B]
Longwood 68

[B][COLOR=red]Illinois-Chicago 47[/COLOR][/B]
Illinois State 73

Indiana 64
[B][COLOR=red]Southern Illinois 51[/COLOR][/B]

South Carolina 74
[B]Clemson 85[/B]

[B][COLOR=red]Tulsa 51[/COLOR][/B]
Arkansas-Little Rock 62

UNC Wilmington 87 [B][COLOR=Blue]OT[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=red]Hofstra 83[/COLOR][/B]

USC Upstate 48
[B]Wake Forest 72[/B]

[QUOTE]
Massachusetts 77
IUPUI 89
[/QUOTE]

What the ----? They beat Syracuse at the Dome and then lose to IUPUI? C’mon UMass, that can’t happen.

Wow, ill-chicago got drilled.

You got the Duke Davidson score Backwards~ I wish they beat Duke

UNC Wilmington 87 [B][COLOR=blue]OT[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=red]Hofstra 83[/COLOR][/B]

nice win benny. can i have some game film please?

-bobby

Our former assistant Orlando Early, who is the HC at Lous-Monroe, won big this weekend.

He beat Iowa and Rice, to win the Iowa tournament. He is like only the 2nd school to win that tournament, that was not Iowa, in 50 years !

He is also coming off last year, winning his Sun Belt division, and it was their first year in the Sun Belt, after moving up from some other conference.

[QUOTE=amnesiac;273046]Our former assistant Orlando Early, who is the HC at Lous-Monroe, won big this weekend.

He beat Iowa and Rice, to with the Iowa tournament. He is like only the 2nd school to win that tournament, that was not Iowa, in 50 years !

He is also coming off last year, winning his Sun Belt division, and it was their first year in the Sun Belt, after moving up from some other conference.[/QUOTE]

I’ve always liked Early, ever since he was our top assistant. The guy can coach.

[B][COLOR=#ff0000]Duquesne 73[/COLOR][/B]
Drake 77

I always knew Drake was a powerhouse.

[QUOTE=Submarley734;273083][B][COLOR=#ff0000]Duquesne 73[/COLOR][/B]
Drake 77

I always knew Drake was a powerhouse.[/QUOTE]

I caught the 2nd half of that game. Note to all schools: DO NOT accept an invitation to the Drake Invitational Tournament. There was some major home-cooking going on. It was impossible not to have the impression that they were going to hand Drake the championship trophy to their own tournament - no matter what.

The announcing crew were jovial sorts and they were laughing the whole time. Most of the time, they couldn’t even explain what was happening at any given moment. There was a technical on Duquesne Coach Everhart that left them puzzled - they said he was T’ed up for ‘not-saying-anything-while-remaining-in-the-coaches-box’. Drake was up two late, and those free throws were important.

I listened to the post game and the announcers went through many of the more questionable calls. Everhart explained that the technical was given to him after he got surprised by one of his players running the wrong direction on a route and getting caught out of position. He[B][I] stood up too quickly[/I][/B], so the refs T’ed him up. I’m dead serious.

It sure would be nice if we could do away with home cooking in college sports. Why can’t the refs call a game even? What keeps that from happening? Is there an unwritten rule that the home team should get some calls, with the usual caveats for the BCS schools? Is the game really better with this home advantage? I wonder if this sort of thing is institutionalized to keep the home crowds happy and paying.

I spent some time up in Madison and got to see quite a few Wisconsin games when they started getting good. The homecourt advantage there rivals Duke’s. It was the main reason Wisconsin had such a long unbeaten streak there, phantom foul call one after another on the other team always kept their best players in foul trouble, while Wisconsin played “great defense” by getting away with grabbing and hacking the visitors. Funny how their defense wasn’t nearly so great away from home.

[QUOTE=amnesiac;273046]Our former assistant Orlando Early, who is the HC at Lous-Monroe, won big this weekend.

He beat Iowa and Rice, to with the Iowa tournament. He is like only the 2nd school to win that tournament, that was not Iowa, in 50 years !

He is also coming off last year, winning his Sun Belt division, and it was their first year in the Sun Belt, after moving up from some other conference.[/QUOTE]

Isn’t Kedric Smith one of his assistants down there??

Isn't Kedric Smith one of his assistants down there??
He's listed as an intern. He really looks different from his playing days. Kind of like if Barry Bonds head now suddenly shrunk to how it looked when he was 22.

Tom Coverdale is also one of his assistants. I hated him.

I think you will see Early moving up pretty soon, apparently he is thought very highly of.

[QUOTE=X-49er;273026]What the ----? They beat Syracuse at the Dome and then lose to IUPUI? C’mon UMass, that can’t happen.[/QUOTE]
Travis Ford’s road OOC scheduling has really perplexed me since he became HC at UMass. Why schedule the Summit League preseason favorite on THEIR home court? [That is right up there with playing road games at Jacksonville State and Savannah State last season.] Of course, the fact that the Minutemen led 43-32 at the half, then let the Jags score 57 points in the final 20 minutes doesn’t bode well either.