Games of interest, Wednesday, January 23, 2008

[COLOR=Green][B]Charlotte[/B] (11-6, 2-1) at [B]La Salle[/B] (7-9, 2-1), 7:00[/COLOR]
[B]George Washington[/B] (5-8, 1-2) at [B]Rhode Island[/B] (15-3, 1-2), 7:00
[B]Massachusetts[/B] (13-4, 2-1) at [B]Saint Joseph’s[/B] (10-5, 2-1), 7:00
Pennsylvania (5-11, 0-0) at [B]Temple[/B] (8-8, 2-2), 7:00
[B]Saint Bonaventure[/B] (6-11, 0-3) at [B]Duquesne[/B] (11-5, 2-1), 7:00
[B]Georgia Tech[/B] (8-9, 1-3) at NC State (12-5, 1-2), 7:00
Virginia Commonwealth (13-4, 6-1) at [B]Hofstra[/B] (4-12, 2-5), 7:00
[B]Southern Illinois[/B] (9-9, 4-3) at Missouri State (10-8, 3-3), 8:00
Memphis (17-0, 4-0) at [B]Tulsa[/B] (9-6, 1-2), 10:00

[B][COLOR=darkgreen]Charlotte [/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=black][COLOR=darkgreen](11-6, 2-1)[/COLOR] at La Salle (7-9, 2-1), 7:00
[/COLOR]George Washington (5-8, 1-2) at [COLOR=darkgreen]Rhode Island (15-3, 1-2)[/COLOR], 7:00
Massachusetts (13-4, 2-1) at [COLOR=darkgreen]Saint Joseph’s (10-5, 2-1)[/COLOR], 7:00
Pennsylvania (5-11, 0-0) at [COLOR=darkgreen]Temple (8-8, 2-2[/COLOR]), 7:00
Saint Bonaventure (6-11, 0-3) at [COLOR=darkgreen]Duquesne (11-5, 2-1)[/COLOR], 7:00
Georgia Tech (8-9, 1-3) at [COLOR=darkgreen]NC State (12-5, 1-2[/COLOR]), 7:00
[COLOR=darkgreen]Virginia Commonwealth (13-4, 6-1)[/COLOR] at Hofstra (4-12, 2-5), 7:00
[COLOR=darkgreen]Southern Illinois (9-9, 4-3)[/COLOR] at Missouri State (10-8, 3-3), 8:00 [COLOR=red]**Upset Special
[/COLOR][COLOR=darkgreen]Memphis (17-0, 4-0)[/COLOR] at Tulsa (9-6, 1-2), 10:00[/B]

[B]Besides ours, I think the UMASS/ST. Joe’s will be the most interesting/grinding close game . Should we want St. Joe’s to win since we beat them and their at home or UMASS to win because it would be a good road win for them and would make our loss to them not as bad. I always think the benefits are a draw either way, but I’m probably wrong…[/B]

[B][COLOR=darkgreen]Southern Illinois (9-9, 4-3)[/COLOR] at Missouri State (10-8, 3-3), 8:00 [COLOR=red]**Upset Special[/COLOR][/B]

So who’s the one that’s going to be upset? If I go by record I can’t say there is an upset whichever way this one tilts, and with SIU playing the way they have this year you never know who’s coming to play. I take it Green is your winner.

GO TULSA!!!

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;287292]So who’s the one that’s going to be upset? If I go by record I can’t say there is an upset whichever way this one tilts, and with SIU playing the way they have this year you never know who’s coming to play. I take it Green is your winner.[/QUOTE]
In past years, this game would have had significance. With SIU’s meltdown, it’s just jockeying for middle of the pack in the Valley this year. Drake (17-1, 8-0) is running away with the MVC (with only Illinois State even close at 6-1), which is in danger of being a one-bid this year.

If Illinois st. keeps winning, they’ll probably get in too.

I wonder how much SIU’s recent struggles in conference go back to that buzzer beater by Butler. That’s just a devastating way to lose a game, bet it takes a while to get over that. Then again, maybe they’re just not all that good…

[QUOTE=9erken;287466]I wonder how much SIU’s recent struggles in conference go back to that buzzer beater by Butler. That’s just a devastating way to lose a game, bet it takes a while to get over that. Then again, maybe they’re just not all that good…[/QUOTE]
Started before then…

11/25 USC 70, SIU 45 (Anaheim, CA)
12/1 Indiana 64, SIU 51 (@SIU)
12/8 Charlotte 71, SIU 56 (@UNCC)
12/15 Saint Louis, 56, SIU 51 (@SLU)
12/18 Western Michigan 57, SIU 41 (@WMU)

Besides ours, I think the UMASS/ST. Joe's will be the most interesting/grinding close game . Should we want St. Joe's to win since we beat them and their at home or UMASS to win because it would be a good road win for them and would make our loss to them not as bad. I always think the benefits are a draw either way, but I'm probably wrong.

RPI-wise for us, it’s better for St. Joes to win the game. I think it would benefit Charlotte too at the end of the season… if there’s a big bottleneck, and St. Joes, UMass and Charlotte have equal IC records, a season sweep of UMass (by St. Joes) could help Charlotte.

In past years, this game would have had significance. With SIU's meltdown, it's just jockeying for middle of the pack in the Valley this year. Drake (17-1, 8-0) is running away with the MVC (with only Illinois State even close at 6-1), which is in danger of being a one-bid this year.

That was my point, SIU just isn’t, well, SIU. For the past couple years they’ve always been a solid choice for a cinderella as well as a fun team to watch (dependent on what style you like). I shouldn’t say it here, but every so often you have a down year. Drake’s a good story, haven’t been to the tourney in 25 or so odd years? Read it about it recently. They used to give me fits on College Hoops 2K7 when I took the job at Bradley.

Hate to say it, since everyone is going to take this as me calling us a mid-major, but with the MVC down and some other conferences just not being up to their usual performance this year, this is the year the A-10 could sneak in more teams then usual. I know many have the conference at 4 bids, but with everything else going on around CBB, it could aid us with an additional tourney spot, or atleast the conference could have a case for 5. Whether they would get it or not, since, god forbid, a non-power 6 conference get that many bids, with everyone else is down or not.

[B][COLOR=Green]Charlotte 84[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red]La Salle 78[/COLOR][/B]

[B][COLOR=red]George Washington 70[/COLOR]
Rhode Island 81[/B]

[B][COLOR=red]Massachusetts 77[/COLOR]
Saint Joseph’s 81[/B]

Pennsylvania 64
[B]Temple 80[/B]

[B][COLOR=red]Saint Bonaventure 67[/COLOR]
Duquesne 83[/B]

[B]Georgia Tech 77[/B]
NC State 74

Memphis 56
[B][COLOR=red]Tulsa 41[/COLOR][/B]

[B][COLOR=red]Southern Illinois 62[/COLOR][/B]
Missouri State 63

Virginia Commonwealth 82
[B][COLOR=red]Hofstra 65[/COLOR][/B]

That St Joes-UMass game was crazy.

First half - combined 45 pts.
Second half - combined 113 pts.

Did they all shotgun Red Bulls at half time?

The injury bug is certainly playing havoc in the A-10.

Starting PG Travis King is out for the season at GW.

Starting PG Tasheed Carr is still out at St. Joe’s.

Starting C Shawn James didn’t play last night for Duquesne due to an injury. (Does show the Dukes have some depth.)

La Salle’s Kyle Griffin didn’t play last night due to an injury suffered in practice.

Dayton are playing without both frosh phenom Chris Wright and reigning A-10 “6th Man” Charles Little.

Geez!

[QUOTE=run49er;287793]The injury bug is certainly playing havoc in the A-10.

Starting C Shawn James didn’t play last night for Duquesne due to an injury. (Does show the Dukes have some depth.)

La Salle’s Kyle Griffin didn’t play last night due to an injury suffered in practice.

Dayton are playing without both frosh phenom Chris Wright and reigning A-10 “6th Man” Charles Little.

Geez![/QUOTE]

Add UMass to the list with C Luke Bonner getting hurt in the first half of last night’s game with St. Joe’s and not returning to the game. When it rains…

[QUOTE=run49er;287939]Add UMass to the list with C Luke Bonner getting hurt in the first half of last night’s game with St. Joe’s and not returning to the game. [B][SIZE=5]When it rains…[/SIZE][/B][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=run49er;287793]The injury bug is certainly playing havoc in the A-10.

Geez![/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=run49er;287939]Add UMass to the list with C Luke Bonner getting hurt in the first half of last night’s game with St. Joe’s and not returning to the game. When it rains…[/QUOTE]
Reminds me of how happy I am about Ian being back. For Lew1104’s sake I won’t explain myself any further. We don’t need any more threats on NNN.