Gee To Alabama

On Ninerreport. That sucks ass. Next.

AAAGHHHH!!!
:cuss:

Wow we lose another big target to a bigger conference school. HS Recruiting has really bombed ever since the class with Curt and Vince. We still get the JUCO ranks pretty good, but we need some 4 year players.

[i]Originally posted by 49erFan1[/i]@Aug 26 2004, 09:10 PM [b] Wow we lose another big target to a bigger conference school. HS Recruiting has really bombed ever since the class with Curt and Vince. We still get the JUCO ranks pretty good, but we need some 4 year players. [/b]
I feel like I just got hit with the javelin and shotput...in my gut!!!!

Damnit if Orlando didn’t steal another one from us (weber before). He made comments about liking the style of play, early PT, needing a shooter, and liking Early.

:ticked: :cuss: :weep: :weep: :drink: :drink:

Ouch. this one hurts. who’s our new #1 target?

I hope we NCSU/USC them. I want blood.

[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Aug 26 2004, 10:10 PM [b] I hope we NCSU/USC them. I want blood. [/b]
HELL YEAH!! i hope Gee is watching this year when we bitchslap them up and down the court and send them home with a 25 point loss rammed right up their asses!

yeah im just a little bitter :ticked:

That one really hurts… I wonder what prompted the commitment before he took his visits. They seem pretty loaded at guard as well, definetely more than us, I would have thought we had more playing time to offer. And with Neal gone I don’t know if we had a great back up plan.

This will ruin a nights sleep…

So much for taking your time and making your visits before deciding…Hmmmm…and did Alabama not just sign Weber one of the best 2G’s in last years class…??Hmmmmm. Are they not loaded in the backcourt…Hmmmm. Interesting to say the least.

I figured it was the kiss of death when he said some other teams were getting involved from bigger conferences and basically said I appreciate Charlotte being with me from the beginning BUT

When I started seeing these other shooting guards and small forwards names popping up on the radar I figured Gee was a lost cause.

What amazes me is Alabama is and always will be a football school (and state).

49erFan1 nailed it about high school recruiting. I hate to say it but since Nickelberry left our recruiting has fallen off. Don’t get me wrong I did not care for how Coach Nick conducted himself but we need to fund/pay our assistants better or more disappointment is on the way. As tough as recruiting has been in the past it will only get tougher as we head into the A-10. We need players like Gee. I do not want to have to wait till they are frustrated and want to transfer before we get a chance to sign them and then wait a year for them to play 2 years.

We have lost out on a lot of talented shooting guards in the last 2 years(Wafer, Morrow, Weber, Neal, Gee) and if we can not sign shooting guards with the offense we are running and the freedom they have I am becoming very concerned about the future of our recruiting.

We should have matched or beat whatever Alabama offered Orlando Early (heard it was over 100K per year) and shuffled the money from somewhere. He would have more than paid for his salary with the type of recruits he brings in. Talent brought in equals more NCAA appearences, more victories, more fans in the seats and more school recognition.

This is a tough, tough loss.

That was a helluva good post ShowDawg. I agree.

[i]Originally posted by TheShowDawg[/i]@Aug 27 2004, 01:41 AM [b] [b]We need players like Gee.[/b] I do not want to have to wait till they are frustrated and want to transfer before we get a chance to sign them and then wait a year for them to play 2 years.

We have lost out on a lot of talented shooting guards in the last 2 years(Wafer, Morrow, Weber, Neal, Gee) and if we can not sign shooting guards with the offense we are running and the freedom they have I am becoming very concerned about the future of our recruiting.

This is a tough, tough loss. [/b]

Perfectly said! Early is an extraordinary recruiter, all the high schoolers seem to love him, even if they decide to go somewhere else than 'bama. It will be interesting to see what happens if he ever decides go the head coaching route.

I hope our mystery man Lewis can fill it up.

The Nickleberry thing is probably valid in our recent recruiting classes, but something that people are overlooking is the team’s success.

00-01: 22-11 C-USA Tourny Champs, 1 NCAA Win
01-02 Class: Basden, Baldwin, Nash, Sager, Clemmons

01-02: 18-12, NCAA appearance
02-03 Class: Withers, Grier, Best, Plavich

02-03: 13-16
03-04 Class: Iti, Pigford, Spooner(didn’t show up)

03-04: 21-9, NCAA appearance, Split CUSA reg-season Title
04-05 Class: Drayton, Nance, Goldwire, Lewis

Good seasons show up two recruiting classes later(our 02-03 class was a result of Rodney’s year here), by the time the season is over, most of the next year’s class is already wrapped up. Look at our 3 seasons after Rodney left, we haven’t done ANYTHING in postseason play. Nothing, zero. We are 0-2 in NCAA games(getting handled pretty easily in both) and 2-3 in C-USA tournament games(remember when it used to be the “Bobby Lutz Invitational”?). Look at Marquette, they recruited solidly(like us) for a few years and then they had that one miricle Final Four season. The season after they fell off a little, but it will start showing up this year. Their class this season is really good.

The point is, WE HAVE TO PRODUCE ON THE COURT IF WE WANT TO LAND BETTER RECRUITS! Our coaches are doing a GREAT job recruiting for a perenial 30-40 ranked team who hasn’t shown any ability to be dangerous in the postseason tournaments. Do other teams in our situation get recruits like Iti or Drayton? Lutz and company are doing good for what they have to work with. But it all comes back to how we do on the court. This year we will reap the biggest benefits from Rodney’s year, Withers will be our best player, it’s on him to carry us. And if we let him get out of Charlotte without taking us to a CUSA Tourny Championship game or past the first round of the NCAA, then we will be in BIG trouble. He’s here because we made a postseason dent in 00-01, and if we want more Curtis Withers, Eddie Basdens or Vinceit Griers to commit here, we need to WIN games in late February and March.

Of course all of this winning does come back to the coaches, it’s on them to get us wins in big games. Recruiting is only hard when you don’t have success to hang your hats on, and in the past 3 years, we just don’t have that postseason success. But win this year, do good things in the CUSA tourny(walking off with the championship on our way to the A10 would be nice) and WIN A NCAA GAME!!! Do those things and we will get another 2-top 100 recruit class soon after. Alabama wins 3 NCAA games and gets Gee over our underachieving team last year…not too big of a surprise to me(still hurts though!).

Just win, and the 5 star players will follow.

[b]Just win, and the 5 star players will follow.[/b]

For the most part I agree that the is the root for everything…look at Gonzaga.

marquette doesnt have a good class coming in this year but they do next year.

[i]Originally posted by ninerfan55[/i]@Aug 27 2004, 01:09 PM [b] marquette doesnt have a good class coming in this year but they do next year. [/b]
you're right, my bad. but they still are getting these players off of one season's success. We need a run into the NCAA tourny this year and we will get national respect and the more highly touted recruits to go along with it.

Marquette is getting that class because it is going to the new Big East, probably the best basketball conference in the country after the merge, and their recruiting situation is completely different from ours as far as location and competition.

[i]Originally posted by TheShowDawg[/i]@Aug 27 2004, 01:57 PM [b]Marquette is getting that class because it is going to the new Big East, probably the best basketball conference in the country after the merge, and their recruiting situation is completely different from ours as far as location and competition.[/b]
Are St. Johns, Georgetown and West Virginia racking up the 4 and 5 star players as a result of this merge?

Yes, that obviously helps, but if Marquette weren’t a winning team, they wouldn’t be taking away 4/5 star players from some constant top 25 times. There are definitely a lot of factors that go into getting recruits, but the simplest of them all is if you win, you will get the players you need to keep winning. There are too many specifics to argue about, but winning will bring talent.

People are saying that not having Nickleberry is the reason why we aren’t recruiting the top talent anymore, but there’s also been a step down in our on court production since this recent “recruiting struggle” has started.

From what I gather though from stuff I’ve read, the Big East is a slant that Creen is using. He’s really only going up against Wisconsin. To me the style of play of the Big East trumps that off the slugfest Big Ten (11). Prior to that, intuitively I’d take Wisconsin over a CUSA Marquette.

Obviously though a one Dwyane Wade helps.