Georgia State Post Game Thread

First off my wife said that Phaler should be nicknamed

THE SHERMANANTOR

Rebounding was good.

Many stupid mistakes.

This was one of those games that had upset screaming all over it. Stupid stuff by the better team, desperation/canā€™t miss threes by the lower team.

I will not miss Deangelo Alexander.

I will miss Carlos Williams.

We are good, we are not very good.

Georgia state is terrible, they would beat UNCA by 3-5 points on a neutral site, yes that bad.

I would just like to point out that Georgia St. had a 32 RPI, won their tourny, and went to the NCAAs in 2001. They have gone 93, 218, 113, 160, and 244 since then. Look at it however you want.

tonite I saw shades of a great team. When we were up by 11-13 in the First Half we were passing four, five, six times in one possesion with backdoor cuts and people driving to the basket. Then Dā€™Angelo came back in. I will also not miss him, he needs to leave his ego at the door and pass the damn ball when others are open. As a team, we are not there yet but this game has given me hope. GO NINERS!!!

thanks for the info for those of us that could not be there!

Boring game to be at. Played very well in the first half but in 2nd half, we would have lost to any team better than Georgia State. Letting a team like that come back to take the lead was very disappointing. And I hope no one starts with the ā€œGeorgia State is a good teamā€¦ā€ BS because theyā€™re not. We should have won by 25 and never let them back in the game. But a win is a win. Good to see the guys maintain their composure late, when the Panthers made a run. I was far more pleased with the last 3 minutes of the game than the 17 that preceeding them. Iā€™m just glad we didnā€™t play a better team tonight or we would be sitting at 1-3.

Iā€™m very suprised and happy with our rebounding this year. I thought that would be a weakness for us and it has turned out to be a big strength. Wholeheartedly agree about DA. Heā€™s become Allen Iverson without the talent. Not sure why he feels the need to jack up ill-advised shots but coach needs to stop it before it gets worse. Good to see Lutz yank him late in the game after gunning so much.

My hat is off to Courtney tonight. He hasnā€™t even practiced and gave a great effort, especially on the boards. Really nice getting those kinds of minutes from him off the bench.

2-2 isnā€™t great but it could be worse. I hate saying games are ā€œmust winsā€ so early in the season but Mississippi State may just be one of those. We canā€™t drop 3 straight OOC road games. Not throwing in the towel on Indiana just yet but from what Iā€™ve seen, I definitely think we stand a much better chance of winning on Wednesday. Not to mention, it would give us some nice momentum to carry into Saturday.

We definitely looked GREAT in all facets of the game AT SOME PARTS tonite. If we could put it all together for one game, for a whole game, we could beat anyone. We got a little sloppy. I think there were definitely some great things done, and good chemistry built.

Wellā€¦

Our free throw shooting was excellent.

We shared the ball well (except for DA)

Dewhurst makes plays (deflections, steals, assists) every minute he plays

Rebounding was solid

AND WE WERE ONLY UP BY 1 WITH 2min LEFT TO GEORGIA FREAKIN STATE!!!

We couldnā€™t shoot the 3 (0-8 in the 2nd half) or defend it (Ga State shot 41% from 3 for the game missing 3 desperation late).

4 games is now officially a trendā€¦we are very average at best. Gonna be a long frustrating year.

Howeverā€¦I love our energy when the young guys (Dewhurst, Anderson & Booker) are inā€¦PLAY 'EM ALLā€¦why not?

Dewhurst and Andersen brought great energy in the first half when the starters struggled. I can tolerate their struggles in the second half because theyā€™re young. The pass Dewhurst had on the first half fast break was great. Not so much because it was anything special, itā€™s just been so long since Iā€™ve seen us execute a ā€˜classicā€™ fast break.

Iā€™d share the gameball between our threeheaded post of EJ, Dumptruck, and Sleeveless. They played very well and are the reason we won the game. Iā€™m most happy for Courtney because he seems like the type that needs to get involved to further elevate his game.

Thereā€™s a bunch negative I saw tonight but Iā€™m going to ignore it for now and just enjoy a much, much, much needed win.

I watched it online - great job to clad and crew BTW.

First half was great, second sucked. Letting a team back in the game isnā€™t new for any niner team but this was just sad. That being said we held it together at the end so thatā€™s something take away as a positive.

DA needs to quit shooting for all american and shoot for being a leader and doing what the team needs him to do. Really liked that Lutz yanked him. Hopefully that sends the right message.

Need more consistency from Lee. He can be on or totally off and heā€™s not been on the last few games IMO. His FT shooting has been stellar though, so I appreciate that.

Hats off to EJ. Heā€™s being a warrior for us and doing everything we need him to do. However Iā€™m worried heā€™s going to get worn out because he has so little help in the middle.

Courtney played very well tonight and I hope he just builds on it. He gave a terrific contribution with very little practice and playing hurt. Kudos to the big man.

Carlos saved us tonight. I see him improving every game and I expect some solid things from him as the year goes on.

Weā€™re a team struggling to find a line up that works. Was Jamison injured tonight? I donā€™t think he ever touched the floor. What is up with that? He was all we had against Cuse, I just donā€™t get why heā€™s not used more. He gives 110% and plays solid defense. Wish weā€™d see more of him.

Liked Ianā€™s spark off the bench but I think heā€™s always going to be a defensive liability while heā€™s in there. Hopefully that will improve.

Weā€™re still gelling as a team. I think weā€™ll do well in league play but there are going to be some more ugly games before we get there IMO.

Go Niners!!:49ers:

First off my wife said that Phaler should be nicknamed

THE SHERMANANTOR

Rebounding was good.

Many stupid mistakes.

This was one of those games that had upset screaming all over it. Stupid stuff by the better team, desperation/canā€™t miss threes by the lower team.

I will not miss Deangelo Alexander.

I will miss Carlos Williams.

We are good, we are not very good.

Georgia state is terrible, they would beat UNCA by 3-5 points on a neutral site, yes that bad.

you are too hard on DA do you not remember he is a shooting sf? he made 43 of his 3 pointers last year. Give him a break. damn.

IT WAS A FREAKIN WIN STOP BEING SO BLOODY NEGATIVE.

[QUOTE=49or bust;201493]I would just like to point out that Georgia St. had a 32 RPI, won their tourny, and went to the NCAAs in 2001. They have gone 93, 218, 113, 160, and 244 since then. Look at it however you want.[/QUOTE]

2001 is 5 years agoā€¦ A whole new set of players has came through since then. Also, the reason they were decent in 2001 is because of a Hall of Fame Coach named Lefty Drissell. Lefty taught those players how to play and thatā€™s why they went to the NCAA Tourney that year (upsetting Wisconsin and almost Upsetting Maryland.

Lefty retired during the 02-03 season and the team has been on a decline since then.

Just to let you know, Georiga St. isnā€™t good at all, but then again we arenā€™t too ā€œgreatā€ ourselves.

in additionā€¦

One day dewhurst is going to jam one, i just hope it is in halton.

Ian anderson is going to be a very special player.

The Deal or No Deal thing during the half was actually good. It was one of the better ā€œgamesā€ i have seen. That one girl was on fire, she should have went for three.

Did anyone notice that TIAA cref did a commercial at halftime involving football?

you are too hard on DA do you not remember he is a shooting sf? he made 43 of his 3 pointers last year. Give him a break. damn.

IT WAS A FREAKIN WIN STOP BEING SO BLOODY NEGATIVE.

i think 3 other guys have said something bad about DAā€™s performance tonight, and one person basically dittoā€™d me. Tonight he as a ballhog, and from what i heard on the radio of the cuse game, it was the same way. He is good, but he needs to let the game come to him.

12 seconds on the clock to end the half and he doesnt pass instead he goes for a falling out of bounds fade away three.

Apparently lutz agreed with me and took him out of the game.

i think 3 other guys have said something bad about DA's performance tonight, and one person basically ditto'd me. Tonight he as a ballhog, and from what i heard on the radio of the cuse game, it was the same way. He is good, but he needs to let the game come to him.

12 seconds on the clock to end the half and he doesnt pass instead he goes for a falling out of bounds fade away three.

with 12 seconds left to go in the half he was doubled and had no outlet to pass and a third guy was hovering right beside him. it was either him or courtney williams to take a three. you make your pick who you want to have the ball at the end?

i think 3 other guys have said something bad about DA's performance tonight, and one person basically ditto'd me. Tonight he as a ballhog, and from what i heard on the radio of the cuse game, it was the same way. He is good, but he needs to let the game come to him.

Iā€™ll ditto youā€¦ I called it against N. Tex. about him running his own show. I almost crapped myself when Bobby pulled him.

Other than the points that have been made on here that are all obvious reasons for our struggles thereā€™s one missing.

I swear if somebody goes to the hoop one more time and slows up and goes in soft Iā€™m gonna scream. Dewhurst twice had a good move and went baseline only to slow down and try to lay it in (blocked we recovered and scored the putback lucky) and then later he pulled up and tried to change his shot at the rim and missed. He honestly reminds me of Basden when he was early in his career and hopefully going hard to the rim will come in time, but he needs to start. Everything else he did tonight was a breath of fresh air. Iā€™m not harping on him but I remember those two times he did it. DA does it on a regular basis if heā€™s not jackin a 3.

Proof that we need to do itā€¦ at the end of the game Carlos went strong a couple of times (as well at the beginning of the game) and he got the bucket and on one occassion the foul. Because of him taking it to the rim we regained the lead and pulled away.

And for EJā€¦ he should ask Santa for 20lbs of muscle for Christmas/Chanaukah whatever. Heā€™s great for us downlow but you just wonder how that much more of a body would help him.

I'll ditto you... I called it against N. Tex. about him running his own show. I almost crapped myself when Bobby pulled him.

Other than the points that have been made on here that are all obvious reasons for our struggles thereā€™s one missing.

I swear if somebody goes to the hoop one more time and slows up and goes in soft Iā€™m gonna scream. Dewhurst twice had a good move and went baseline only to slow down and try to lay it in (blocked we recovered and scored the putback lucky) and then later he pulled up and tried to change his shot at the rim and missed. He honestly reminds me of Basden when he was early in his career and hopefully going hard to the rim will come in time, but he needs to start. Everything else he did tonight was a breath of fresh air. Iā€™m not harping on him but I remember those two times he did it. DA does it on a regular basis if heā€™s not jackin a 3.

Proof that we need to do itā€¦ at the end of the game Carlos went strong a couple of times (as well at the beginning of the game) and he got the bucket and on one occassion the foul. Because of him taking it to the rim we regained the lead and pulled away.

And for EJā€¦ he should ask Santa for 20lbs of muscle for Christmas/Chanaukah whatever. Heā€™s great for us downlow but you just wonder how that much more of a body would help him.

good points about go to the basket hard. Carlos still favors his knee (had surgery on it over the summer) so when he goes soft that is why. Dewhurst isnā€™t strong enough to finish like eddie once did. Eddie used to be smaller than dewhurst just give him time and a little preston magic and ā€œPRESTO!!!ā€ dewhurst will be a machine. EJ canā€™t really gain any more weigth without it affecting the tendonitous in his knees. i know when i work out my arms a lot my tendonitous in my left wrist flares up again. So that is why he canā€™t gain much more weight.

[QUOTE=f-o-r-t-y-n-i-n-e-r-s;201494]
When we were up by 11-13 in the First Half we were passing four, five, six times in one possesion with backdoor cuts and people driving to the basket. Then Dā€™Angelo came back in. I will also not miss him, he needs to leave his ego at the door and pass the damn ball when others are open.
[/QUOTE]

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Not only did he not pass the ball, but he also:

1. Played lackadasical Defense. He got beat by his man on more than one occasion, and at least once started to break downcourt while his man drove toward the basket and got fouled.

2. Did not always block out when rebounding defensively. He let the opponent get the offensive rebound (and putback points) while Deangelo looked like he was trying to break down court just in case a teammate grabbed the rebound.

3. The passes he did make were not always accurate. He looked like if he couldnā€™t score he would just ā€œthrow it to a teammateā€ but a few times a good pass would have found the receiver in position to make a play. He was doing everything except looking for an open man.

What I hate seeing is Courtney and Twon getting the ball near the top of the key and putting up a long two everytime they get it there. It happened at least five times tonight, and they went 1-5 if memory serves me right.

What I hate seeing is Courtney and Twon getting the ball near the top of the key and putting up a long two everytime they get it there. It happened at least five times tonight, and they went 1-5 if memory serves me right.

no twon made 1 and courtney made 1 from that range they only took 4 combined from out there. the other shots they made were close range and they missed one other close range combined.

i donā€™t know what game you were watching dax but we got the ball with 14 seconds left from 14 to 8 seconds DA had one man on him, if he had 2 men he wouldnt have been given the ball on the inbounds. After dilly dallying for 5 seconds of trying to ā€œcarry the loadā€ he dribbled to one side of the court and ran out of options.

GUESS WHAT USUALLY HAPPENS WHEN THE CLOCK IS RUNNING LOW AND THE PLAYER PICKS UP HIS DRIBBLE???

Double team with a man hovering in the available passing lanes.

There were multiple times DA was a ballhog and tried to do to much.

I have never said he was a bad player, or that he didnā€™t do good things for this team, he made some excellent rebounds down the stretch, offensively he needs to let the game come to him more. He will score more points and be a bigger star for it in the end.