Georgia State Post Game Thread

maybe we were just looking at the play from different angles. but from what i saw of the play he looked for courtney. then looked for leemire and forced the shot up. which courtney almost made the lay up. so ionno.

Courtney played well, he always seem like he needs confidence. Hopefully this game can be a spark.
I am very impressed with EJ. He is doing everything and he has really exceed my expection.

My third time saying this, play more Dewhurst. This kid also needs more confidence and finish strong. (He seem like he slows down after he dribble past his defender?? Maybe just my angle of view thatā€™s causing the illusionā€¦??)

As for DA, ballhog still, but not as bad as he did in cues game. God bless bobby for yanking him. I think offensively we flow better without him on the court

We arenā€™t very good, but the future of 49er basketball with the freshmen we have is definitely bright. :slight_smile:

interesting noteā€¦we beat georgia state by 5 last year.

does anyone have links or have any pictures from the game tonight?

Itā€™s been itching me. OK, Iā€™ve got to say it. BENCH DA! No, not really, but rein his ass in. He is our best player, but is USELESS until he plays withing the team. TEAM MF!!! Learn it!:ticked: Sorry, hate to see such a waste of a great player. If he learns, we will go far. If he doesnā€™t, weā€™ll be lucky to make the NIT.

Can people stop defending DAā€™s ball hogging?!?!?

We all know the reason he left Okalhoma was so he could put up any shot he wanted to. That isnā€™t his fault though it is Lutzā€™s fault. Lutz established this reputation with what he let Demon get away with and it continued with Plavich. It is something we will have to live with as long as he is coach.

It sucks because teams with less talent like Bulter, Creighton, George Mason etc., that are well drilled in discipline and coaching will go much further than the wasted talent at Charlotte.

Just look back to the incredible spacing George Mason had on offense last year during their run in the tourney compared to the times we have 2 or 3 guys on offense standing next to each other.

I think it is funny how most people on this site sweated DA nuts, now everyone hates him.

Donā€™t blame DA totally. Lutz has ultimate control of this team. If he doesnā€™t want DA jacking balls all over the court and self passing, then yank his ass out of the game for more then a few minutes.

I for one donā€™t like having someone sit the bench who can put up points for us, but he doesnā€™t want to be a team player, take him out.

interesting note...we beat georgia state by 5 last year.

And we had a mediocre season, only making the NIT. Whatā€™s your point?

Heard in the post game that we have like a 27-0 record over Georgia State or something crazy like that. Even Lutz seemed surprised when Matt tossed out the stat. Not a team that warrants bragging over but thatā€™s still a nice track record against them.

I'd share the gameball between our threeheaded post of EJ, Dumptruck, and Sleeveless. They played very well and are the reason we won the game. I'm most happy for Courtney because he seems like the type that needs to get involved to further elevate his game.
Dead on it NLP, dead on it. I thought I was watching a different team wear white in Halton during the second half. Our spacing on offense was usually good. Our post players actually posted their men down low. They got good position and called for the ball. Our ballhandlers got the ball to them. The post players then made some good moves that resulted in easy buckets. The whole team rebounded well. We made free throws.

I didnā€™t notice the DA benching but he did appear to be unhappy at times during the second half. Oh well, he will get over it. This team needs him to play well if they are going to compete in the A-10. I did see Lutz call a TO then give Carlos a tongue lashing and brief benching. He deserved it. We had just built a lead by working the ball inside. Carlos brought the ball down the floor after a G State miss. He pulled up for an on the run 3, missed, GState rebounded, kicked the ball out, which led to an easy basket at the other end.

G State may not be very good. So what? We arenā€™t exactly Final Four material. We beat a team we should beat in Halton. I was happy to see us play some good basketball on the offensive end of the floor. Now if we can put these junk defenses in the trash where junk belongs, so as to hold some people accountable on defense, we might be able to finish above 500.

Why were we called for a TO at about the 15 minute mark of the second half? Our coaching staff obviously didnā€™t want it.

[QUOTE=49erWhit;201545] I think it is funny how most people on this site sweated DA nuts, now everyone hates him.[/QUOTE]

Thatā€™s just the wagoneers jumping off, then on, then back off again. Theyā€™ll be back on soon enough if DA reigns it in a little.

[QUOTE=49erWhit;201545] If he doesnā€™t want DA jacking balls all over the court and self passing, then yank his ass out of the game for more then a few minutes. [/QUOTE]

The best basketball discipline I know of. It works a lot better than yelling.

[QUOTE=bball49er]Carlos brought the ball down the floor after a G State [B]open 3 was made[/B]. He pulled up for an on the run 3, missed, GState rebounded, kicked the ball out, which led to an easy basket at the other end.
[/QUOTE]

Fixed. See below.

[QUOTE=49erWhit;201545]When we were up by 11-13 in the First Half we were passing four, five, six times in one possesion with backdoor cuts and people driving to the basket. Then Dā€™Angelo came back in. I will also not miss him, he needs to leave his ego at the door and pass the damn ball when others are open.[/QUOTE]

I know DA is being made to be the villian, but I donā€™t think itā€™s only him by himself. When Carlos, Lee, and DA are all in the game at once, the ball movement stops. They all have the one-on-one mentality, and they look to break their man down on the dribble or shoot first instead of whipping the ball around to get the open shot. If I remember correctly, Dewhurst, Anderson, EJ, Courtney, and (PG?) were in the game when we were whipping it around so well in the first half. It reminded me of the way Indiana did last year when they scorched us from 3-land. After that little stretch, I didnā€™t see it anymore the rest of the game. Georgia State did it to us a lot as well after setting a perimeter pick. The reason they had the open three several times is that they made the 3rd or 4th pass to the open man after we had switched for the pick.

I think DA will come around. We will be .500 team without him. The talent is just not there minus him to beat good teams. A little coaxing and I think heā€™ll be fine.

Jerrell Jamison was injured. The post game show began breaking up on my way home when Lutz was discussing both his and Courtneyā€™s injuries, but that was the reason Jamison did not play.

EJ has been a beast on the boards. He seems to get many of the big rebounds. We need to get him some more spacing so he can work the post a little more. He is not Curtis, and was not supposed to be. Heā€™s a 3 playing the 4. Someone mentioned his injury as the reason heā€™s not Hulk Hogan, but EJ was never intended to play the 4 until DA arrived. Heā€™s been forced to play there because we have no PF and we are stacked with guards. Heā€™s doing a fine job, but even without his injury he does not have the frame to become Curtis Part II.

Courtney came alive in the 2nd half tonight. Heā€™s beginning to remind me of Jermaine Williams in nature. Jermaine was tentative and did not play much his first year, but improved greatly and came alive his second and final year after gaining confidence. Courtney is beginning to do the same. He got several big rebounds and was very aggressive on D at times.

Ian looked good tonight. He made a couple of freshman mistakes in the second half, but he looked good overall. His defense is better than most give him credit for. He guards well, but he has to learn to rotate and cover after switches are made on the perimeter. He failed to rotate over a couple of times after GSU set a pick and passed off until the open man was found behind the arc. Itā€™s just something that will come with experience.

Dewhurst will be the Eddie/JZ player through his career. He is a hustler and has a nose for the ball and making the right play. I think heā€™ll be a great defender before he graduates, also.

Booker is a hause. He seems to want to play the perimeter (and can), but I hope he will use that big body in the post some too.

Weā€™ve been playing Jeckyl and Hyde basketball. We were up 50-34 at one point tonight and I thought it was over. Apparantly, so did the players. One open three, a lay-up (from an ill-advised 3 by us), and a prayer 3 and they cut the lead in half just like that. From then on they could smell it, and they almost beat us. We stepped up our D the last three minutes and held them off.

Time to get ready for the Bulldogs.

On the way out from campus I was listening to the post game with Bobby Lutz on the radio and he accurately portrayed the team in his comments. He said that we were a very good team at times tonight, and at other times were were a very bad one.

Basketball is a game of runs, but it our games it seems they become more exaggerated. We let Georgia State go on a 23-12 run on us. If we do that vs. DJ White and Indiana weā€™ll get torched. We did get torched vs Syracuse in that same manner. We played well and then its like for 2 minutes we just let off completely and then boom, suddenly we are down big.

Iā€™m not worried about our team, weā€™ve shown we can play great, especially vs Hofstra, Syracuse, and Georgia State. But we have to play great for an entire game. I suppose part of that comes from Lutz learning about all of his players and finding the right times to put them in as well.

My 2 cents.

Bobby needs to bench DA.

Plain and simple. This isnā€™t something thatā€™s been new and I think itā€™s part of the reason why we struggled last year. DA just takes selfish, bad shots. I understand he may be pressing and trying to do too much, but he is the leader and he is the model that other players will take after. I think Bobby needs to give this team over to Lee. Lee didnā€™t have a great game, but I remember watching and thinking that Lee wasnā€™t pressing and didnā€™t force his shot. When he shot he was usually open. Carlos, DA and even Ian a little bit all had their trigger happy moments. That needs to stop. The only way it will is if Bobby goes after the chief offender. I was thrilled when he yanked Carlos and thrilled when he yanked DA. He needs to do this more often.

I would like to see Dewhurst start the next game just to send DA a message. His body language and attitude were terrible. Itā€™s bad when I can watch a Yahoo broadcast and see those type of things.

Now on to the game.

We were pretty bad. We let them back into the game by playing selfish offense and poor defense. It was a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Lutz type of game.

However, we had some moments when we reminded me of the Bobby Lutz teams of old. We shared the ball, fed it inside and got open looks on kick outs. Ian went crazy in the first half because he got wide open looks due to the offense. Dewhurst on multiple occassions forced the defense to over pursue leaving the offensive rebounds and easy layups for DA. The High-Low worked very well for most of the night.

We also had some good defensive intensity during the game. Again we just need to bring it for 40 minutes.

I didntā€™ particularly like the rotations. I thought Bobby did well bringing in his post guys, however I thought the backcourt was all over the place and I wouldā€™ve liked him to yank the leash a little quicker when guys werenā€™t bringing it on defense.

Overall we won, time to move on to the next one.

[QUOTE=X-49er;201552]

I think DA will come around. We will be .500 team without him. .[/QUOTE]

We may be a .500 team with him.

[QUOTE=ninerID;201504]i think 3 other guys have said something bad about DAā€™s performance tonight, and one person basically dittoā€™d me. Tonight he as a ballhog, and from what i heard on the radio of the cuse game, it was the same way.

[/QUOTE]

I was at the Syracuse game and he was just as bad.

I find it hard to belueve that Lutz canā€™t find a role for this kid that falls somewhere between ball-hog and benched.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;201550]And we had a mediocre season, only making the NIT. Whatā€™s your point?

Heard in the post game that we have like a 27-0 record over Georgia State or something crazy like that. Even Lutz seemed surprised when Matt tossed out the stat. Not a team that warrants bragging over but thatā€™s still a nice track record against them.[/QUOTE]
Georgia State won the first game played against the 49ers, 55-51 (OT) in Atlanta, January 2, 1970. Since then, Charlotte is 26-0 (all time: 15-0 home, 11-1 road).

DA is very very good. I want him to score 25 points a game. He just needs to realize that he will have a better chance of doing that if he plays a team game.

[QUOTE=longtimeniner;201576]We may be a .500 team with him.[/QUOTE]

Possibly, but we definitely will be without him. We are too young and inexperienced without him taking charge. Heā€™s the preseason A-10 POY and weā€™re suddenly treating him like a stepchild. He needs to step up and become the next Galen Young/ James Zimmerman/Eddie Basden player we all know he can be. He may not be as good as those guys defensively, but he is better offensively if he chooses good shots and gets his teammates involved. A few adjustments, mentally and physically, and DA will be okay.

My 2 cents worth.

Ian does not have to shoot everytime he touches it. I would like to see him make a pass occasionaly.
Dewhurst looks promising but a little timid. He can get open without the ball.

To second Over40ā€™s comments, I am more concerned with DAā€™s defense than offense. I remember watching his guy drive around him into the paint more than once and DA casually waved his arms as he went by. He is to good of a player to get in a funk his senior season. I hope there is not a deeper problem.

Loved the way the young guys passed the ball in the first half.

I know Twon is hurting, but we sure do need some good minutes from him.

I guess you guys are finally realizing that Lutz has once again put an inferior product on the court. When is the last time he recruited a top notch basketball player?

When is the last time he recruited a top notch basketball player?
I think we all know the answer to the question. (Leemire) :biggrin: