Getting excited about 04-05!

PG-Mitch with Goldwire/Lewis backing him up(unless by some miricle Bennett can play)
SG-Plavich and Sager
SF-Eddie and Drayton
PF-Withers and Pigford(guessing Drayton will see time here as well)
C-Iti and Nance

Looking very nice. We still have Arizona at home early in the season, right? If so that will be a good early chance at proving something and breaking into the top 25. We’ve got our most talented squad since at least 00-01. Withers, Iti and Eddie should all end up on an All-CUSA team(not because Iti will deserve it, but because of lack of centers). Drayton may be a 6th man candidate. Plavich is obivous a mixed bag, he will single handedly win us a few games, but he will also dissappear for a bunch more(and by dissappear I mean he will miss, because we all know he won’t stop shooting). PG is probably the key though, as we know what to expect out of the other 4 starters. Can Mitch run the team effectively? Will Goldwire or Lewis step up in their first year? Will Bennett play?

I’m just glad all the drama is over(hopefully, fingers crossed!). Should be a fun year…

[i]Originally posted by Butter49er[/i]@Jun 17 2004, 10:27 PM [b] PG-Mitch with Goldwire/Lewis backing him up(unless by some miricle Bennett can play) SG-Plavich and Sager SF-Eddie and Drayton PF-Withers and Pigford(guessing Drayton will see time here as well) C-Iti and Nance

Looking very nice. We still have Arizona at home early in the season, right? If so that will be a good early chance at proving something and breaking into the top 25. We’ve got our most talented squad since at least 00-01. Withers, Iti and Eddie should all end up on an All-CUSA team(not because Iti will deserve it, but because of lack of centers). Drayton may be a 6th man candidate. Plavich is obivous a mixed bag, he will single handedly win us a few games, but he will also dissappear for a bunch more(and by dissappear I mean he will miss, because we all know he won’t stop shooting). PG is probably the key though, as we know what to expect out of the other 4 starters. Can Mitch run the team effectively? Will Goldwire or Lewis step up in their first year? Will Bennett play?

I’m just glad all the drama is over(hopefully, fingers crossed!). Should be a fun year… [/b]

Last I heard Arizona pulled an “Iti”. They pulled out, that is.

You bring up an interesting subject in referring to the schedule.

According to my renewal notice, "your 49ers are anticipating a 14 game schedule against Cincinnati, Memphis, DePaul, ECU, TCU, Alabama, Rutgers, UNC Asheville, LBSU and others**

** Subject to Change"

According to my math, there 5 TBD’s within the others.

Now that the roster is as set as can be expected, the schedule will be everyone’s hot button for the summer.

I expect at least 2 of those 5 to be “NC A&T-type” opponents. Hopefully, at least one of the 5 will be a bonafide, legimate basketball program that will help attract warm bodies to Halton Arena.

I could get excited about our road schedule if coach pulls another Syracuse surprise this year…

2 of the 5 home games will be against C-USA teams.

[i]Originally posted by Butter49er[/i]@Jun 18 2004, 03:27 AM [b] PG-Mitch with Goldwire/Lewis backing him up(unless by some miricle Bennett can play) SG-Plavich and Sager SF-Eddie and Drayton PF-Withers and Pigford(guessing Drayton will see time here as well) C-Iti and Nance

I’m just glad all the drama is over(hopefully, fingers crossed!). Should be a fun year… [/b]

I’ll go ahead and predict our depth chart right now, because when you have 4 starters coming back, it’s easy!

C - Iti (Nance, Pigford)
PF - Withers (Pigford, Drayton)
SF - Basden (Drayton)
SG - Plavich (Sager or Lewis)
PG - Baldwin (Goldwire)

However, I think we’re gonna primarily go with Drayton & Goldwire as our 6th & 7th guys, and Nance or Piggie for Iti as necessary if he’s still fouling too much. Once again, Lutz will have the ability to play lots of completely different lineups to create matchup problems. We can play big, fast, defensive oriented, or almost anything else you can think of. One lineup I hope I see tested early in the season against an overmatched team would be: Withers-Drayton-Basden-Baldwin-Goldwire, just for short stretches to see how much damage they can do.

Meanwhile, don’t forget that we gain Deangelo as a practice player. Have fun guarding him guys. Wanna make Plav better on D? Have him chase DA all over the gym til he can keep up.

Barring injuries, etc, we’re gonna be GOOD guys. Sweet 16. It’s time. I’m excited. In fact, with a little luck (i.e. Goldwire & Drayton aren’t just hype), we might just be the best team in the Carolinas. It’s a legitimate argument at least.

There are 3 CUSA schools in the TBD list: St. Louis, Houston, and So. Miss.

I get excited when I think about that season too.

Our last year at SBHS, eason, I hope it’s one hell of a ride!

Ah nostalgia!

This makes me really sad.

I don’t get excited when I think about how it ended.

I’ll trade that season for this one, including our 7 seed in the NCAA.

Heck ya!

Anyone would obivously when you compare the two seasons.

04/05 was fun, until March. Lots of good memories but the ending hurt.

Yep. The ending hurt. I will never forget that sinking feeling I had while sitting in the arena in Worcester, MA watching State come back from a 17 point deficit to make us go 0-4 in March after winning all those games in February.

We got burned that season by being the “5th” 1st place finisher. Didn’t get a bye, and had to play Memphis on their own court in the tourney as the higher seeded team. We got hosed in that bracket. We played Memphis a close game I remember, but they were really strong.

State beat us because Bennerman stuck to Plavich like glue and Lutz couldn’t adapt in the 2nd half. Epic collapse. One that started to convince me that Bobby needed to go.

wasn’t the 5 way tie 03-04?

I really thought it was 04-05

But I know we got screwed with playing Memphis in the 04-05 tournament

We finished tied for 2nd with Cinci at 12-4 that year but still got the 3rd seed, we must have lost the tie breaker whatever it was. Memphis was tied for 6th with Houston at 9-7 but they got the 6th instead of the 7th again for some tie break reason… so I guess the perfect storm happened where we had to play them instead of getting the 2 seed or memphis getting the 7.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/standings/_/year/2005

The 5 way tie was '03-'04. '04-'05 was the year we won everything in February, lost our last 2 regular season games in March, lost the first game of the CUSA Tourney, and received a 7 seed in the NCAA Tourney, built up a 17 point lead aganst NC State in the first round, and then lost, making us 0-4 in March.

Disappointing finish no doubt, but still a fun season.