Good read about the Men's Olympic Team

This Team’s no Dream for LB

I think all those guys that dropped out from T-Mac to Kidd are getting a free pass from the media. They should be getting drilled for selfishness, in my opinion. I guess it will take us losing in the olympics for that to happen.

I agree they are getting a free pass, but I say screw’m. I would much rather watch the team they have now anyway. I think it will be much more entertaining with the element of a loss possible. I definetely think that any of the players who passed on the olympics this year should never be asked to play again.

The good thing about this team is that they’re so young that, if they do well and want to continue playing for Team USA, we should dominate internationally for a while.

[i]Originally posted by bobblinlutz[/i]@Jul 30 2004, 12:07 PM [b]The good thing about this team is that they're so young that, if they do well and want to continue playing for Team USA, we should dominate internationally for a while.[/b]
:biglaugh:

I bet that for most of the young guys its one and done - unless they dont win the gold.

Too bad they just got SKUNKED by Italy 95-78.

Um, Italy.

Not Argentina or Serbia.

Italy.

Well, we have no Point Guard, no Center, and no shooters and that was very apparent in this game. What a joke. So I guess, since it was a practice game, Iverson’s can use his same old quote…“Practice…we talkin’ bout practice”

Too bad it’ll be for real, real soon. Once again, Tracy McGrady, Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett, Vince Carter, Bibby, even second-tier guys like Kenyon Martin…thanks a lot for your service to your country. Selfish M-Fers.

I would consider Tim Duncan a candidate for a decent Center…I know he plays PF for the Spurs, but I think in international play, he can shift to C…

Still have to get the ball to him. Just having Marbury on that team gives it two strikes. “Me First” won’t work in international ball, boys. Neither will letting a team, any team, even O.J. McScruffie’s Band Of Basketball Playing Oddities, hit 15 out of 35 three point attempts.

[b]I would consider Tim Duncan a candidate for a decent Center...I know he plays PF for the Spurs, but I think in international play, he can shift to C..... [/b]

Definitely, but I feel like you’re at an immediate disadvantage if you have to start playing guys out of their natural positions. See Allen Iverson playing point.

USA Team Squeeked by Germany 80-77 and win on a last second half court 3 from Iverson. Germany didnt quailfy to play in the Athens games.

Is it wrong if I root against this USA Team? It almost sickens me to hear Bill Walton compliment the NBA players.

We just got absolutely drilled by Puerto Rico. Where’s the silver lining? That they are a commonwealth of the US?

Arroyo destroyed them. They couldn’t score in transition. Less than 20 percent from 3 point. Over 20 turnovers. This against Puerto Rico.

As much as I blame the McGrady’s and Martins and Garnetts and Shaqs, I am also ticked at the selection committee for not getting more shooters and ball handlers. They pick Lamar Odom and Stephon Marbury… two head cases… over Micheal Redd or Rasheed Wallace? Didn’t ask Chris Webber?

This is just a travesty. No shooters, no toughness, no heart. Not only from those who did go, but those like Jason Kidd who didn’t.

[i]Originally posted by Hooligan[/i]@Aug 4 2004, 03:41 PM [b] Is it wrong if I root against this USA Team? [/b]
I'm not necessarily pulling for them to lose but I found myself enjoying the outcome of today's game. Olympics or not, I just can't bring myself to support the NBA. And I certainly don't mind seeing Allen Iverson humbled. He really looked like the Olympian posterchild walking down the track at the opening ceremonies didn't he? :rolleyes:

It’s easy to root against the NBA… but to root against Team USA is just… I can’t do it. It totally exposes the funadmental flaws our “top” players have. No fundamentals.

It’s all about sneaker deals and And1 mix tape highlights.

[b]They pick Lamar Odom and Stephon Marbury... two head cases... over Micheal Redd or Rasheed Wallace? Didn't ask Chris Webber? [/b]

Odom was our best player today and only foul trouble preventing him from doing more. The absence of Michael Redd, though is despicable. I can’t believe that we only have one of the top 50 3pt shooters in the NBA on this team (Jefferson at 47). And, by the way, Richard Jefferson is HORRIBLE. The Nets just gave this guy 78 million???

Seriously, we can only send one of the top 50 3pt shooters??? Really???

That was absolutely embarassing, but for someone on this board to root against Team USA is ridiculous. Whether you like the NBA or not, you have to cheer for your country.

What a shame that game was. Nobody could hit a shot. Embarassing.

One thing no one is pointing out is that with each loss we have that gives all the other teams more confidence. I do in a way feel bad for some of these guys on this team. So many of the NBA pros no longer see pride in playing for your country in the Olympics. I want this team to do well and win and I hope that Tim Duncan can pick it up and lead this team.