GREAT 2ND HALF

Too bad we had to play two of them.

we seem to struggle early in games, and a rough game for Lee (3-17, 2-12 from 3). The Md radio announcers were basically making fun of his shot selection, particularly towards the end. Good game for Mack (18 pts) and Dewhurst (lots of hustle plays), though they both missed key free throws when it counted (though not bad overall). Our point guards seem to get a lot of quick fouls.

this will probably make some folks upset, but we’re now at rpi 179 (this maryland loss at home really hurts with their crappy record). That means we’re below Richmond in conference. Yikes!

The crowd sounded good towards the end, would be nice if we could get those folks out for the A10 conference games at Halton.

Didn’t have internet until the last 4 minutes of the game. Didn’t hear Gaby, Gerrity, or Phil’s name. Sounds like we gave a good effort, but spotted them 20 points.

Goldwire was the difference in this game. It’s a shame coach didn’t switch up to Ian at the end of the game. I know he was trying to get Lee involved, but he was just horrible the entire game.

If you remember we started the run in the 2nd with LEE on the BENCH!

yes, we could not stop Vazquez, he could do whatever he wanted, drive and dish or shoot, hit FTs. At times he may of been the tallest guy on the court, and played PG.

But we played with a lot of hustle and heart, and had a hard time making the easy baskets, many good looks but did not go in. All we needed was 2 or 3 of them to make it, like Cooleys follow slam that he got hurt on, how did that not go in.

[QUOTE=ninersfan99;281116]Goldwire was the difference in this game. It’s a shame coach didn’t switch up to Ian at the end of the game. I know he was trying to get Lee involved, but he was just horrible the entire game.

If you remember we started the run in the 2nd with LEE on the BENCH![/QUOTE]

I agree that we at least should have kept ian, and dew in the game. Gaby got a couple of good looks too. But, Lee is our go to guy and have proven it, but he is in a two game slump right now…I hope he breaks out of it for wed or we get hammered.

What makes me mad is how Lutz waited until the 2nd half to play a 3-2 zone. That’s what made the difference. Lets not wait until a 20 point deficit to try it next time.

Exciting second half. I’m not sure how good, just exciting. Odd also!

-Net breaks
-One ref goes down
-Another ref limps down court and has to call time out - claims he slipped on ice.
-Maryland nearly blew 21 point lead

I was very proud of the effort the second half. The team really played hard.

I was very proud of the effort the second half. The team really played hard.
So, if we have the players and the effort... where does the blame go? Or is Maryland just a better team? Or does it rest on someone else's shoulders for not putting that effort in the right position to win the game?

The things that killed us:

Waiting until 5 minutes into the second half to switch to a 3-2 zone
Lee shooting less than 18%
The team overall shot 35.5%
The ref that got taken out got revenge later. It seemed like he had some money on the game.

You’re never going to beat an ACC team when you shoot less than 40%.

Coley is about to drive to a wide open lane, Lutz calls timeout to set up a play . . . . . . The play (if you want to call it that): Have Lee, the smallest guy on the court at the time, catch a difficult pass underneath the goal and have to force it in with 2-3 red jersies around him

With a few seconds to go, we have been in a medicore press all day, Maryland is about to inbounds up two I believe. All night the press had a man on the inbounder. Now we change it up, there is some 3/4 court press. Two guys are in the backcourt, one is Vasquez an 82% FT shooter, the other is some guy Neal I have never heard of, who has yet to make a FT all year until today, on top of that he’s only a 75% shooter. The ball is inbounded to Neal, he dribbles off 4 seconds (because nobody is near him in an obvious pressure -> foul situation) and then when our defenders make it there, he just hands it to Vasquez.

When you are down 3 with under a minute, why is a forced 3 better than looking for a decent 2?

Why do we use up only 6 seconds of the shot clock to force things?

Why do our point guards pick up their dribble before crossing half court when the defense isn’t that close?

Why is our under the basket inbounds play a lob to the other end, even if 8 seconds are on the shot clock?

Coley is about to drive to a wide open lane, Lutz calls timeout to set up a play . . . . . . The play (if you want to call it that): Have Lee, the smallest guy on the court at the time, catch a difficult pass underneath the goal and have to force it in with 2-3 red jersies around him
Clarifiction: The play drawn up was a Mack 3 pointer with Lee under to rebound it if he missed.

[QUOTE=amnesiac;281117]yes, we could not stop Vazquez, he could do whatever he wanted, drive and dish or shoot, hit FTs. At times he may of been the tallest guy on the court, and played PG.

But we played with a lot of hustle and heart, and had a hard time making the easy baskets, many good looks but did not go in. All we needed was 2 or 3 of them to make it, like Cooleys follow slam that he got hurt on, how did that not go in.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know… Myself and a few others sure stopped him. Two of his late misses were right in front of us. We were courtside. Afterwards he actually made a pretty nasty face at us as though we caused him to miss. I mean, he was 3 feet in front of us… :biggrin:

As for the niners, we have to make shots. We made a good come back from being down 20 to get with in 3 but had a few momentum killing calls.

[QUOTE=ninerID;281124]Coley is about to drive to a wide open lane, Lutz calls timeout to set up a play . . . . . . The play (if you want to call it that): Have Lee, the smallest guy on the court at the time, catch a difficult pass underneath the goal and have to force it in with 2-3 red jersies around him[/QUOTE]
Yes! I about blew up when he did that.

[QUOTE=ninerID;281124]Why do our point guards pick up their dribble before crossing half court when the defense isn’t that close?

Why is our under the basket inbounds play a lob to the other end, even if 8 seconds are on the shot clock?[/QUOTE]
Both of these have annoyed me for years. For at least the last two years, these have frustrated me more than anything.

I noticed Lee had tape around his pinky finger. Was it taped to his ring finger? Was it just taped to prevent an injury? Does he have a broken finger?

I love that our guys battled back hard. Great game from Mack, good hustle from Dewhurst and Dijuan…what killed us was neither Ian or Lee could shoot up over there guards. I was thinking how nice it would have been to have Shamarr or Barnett out there, the same size as their guards. That’s it folks…that’s why Leemire’s not NBA. 5’11 guys can not shoot over 6’6 guys. We did set some screens for him, but he still wasn’t shooting well. It hurt. But I loved that they battled back and we made some nice plays inside against a much bigger team. This will help us come conference time. Maryland has not been a great team so far this season, we all know that, but they still have those great recruits that being in the ACC just throws at you. I was glad to see our big men going toe to toe with theirs. I hope we have a good showing against Clemson. We need to improve on the road. Most of all, these last two OOC games will help us come conference time.

Tough loss, I hate playing ACC teams in Bobcats arena, it’s not the same as good ol’ Halton. We were terrible in the first half and the first 5 mins of the 2nd half. After that we finally game to life. Story of the game is horrendous shooting from Leemire and missing so many shots around the basket. Rebounding improve greatly in the 2nd half. Phil Jones needs to toughen up, he looked lost out there. Bad game for Gerrity, I liked that with went with Harris in the 2nd half. Coley is so special to have. Wilderness hasn’t played great since the Wake game, continues to be mediocre, but thats youth. Good crowd though we seem to arrive late for these games. As we sang the National anthem the student section behind the basket wasn’t that full…by the time we got mid way though the 1st half I noticed it was full.

I think the Clemson game could be ugly. We have got to learn to put two good halfs together. This loss hurts our RPI. We’re going to have to play very well in A-10 play if not win that tournament to get into the NCAA’s.

Why do our point guards pick up their dribble before crossing half court when the defense isn't that close?

I don’t know, but it bothers me every time.

I was absolutely disgusted at half time at how we were playing. We really picked it up in the second half. “Sounds like we gave a good effort, but spotted them 20 points.” That pretty much sums it up for me.

And yeah, this game had a lot of weird things going on. The weirdest of all (aside from maybe the net they had to replace) was Ian accidentally levelling that ref. I don’t know if anyone else saw his face when he went back to the huddle, but he looked like mortified, like he’d just ruined someone’s surprise party or something. It appeared that his family was in attendance as well, so he might have been afraid his mom was going to chew him out. :tongue:

One final note, the frat boys in the row next to us spent nearly the whole night yelling “Vazqueer!” Just thought everyone would like to know.

If we could up our first half free throw percentage a bit, the outcome may be a bit more pleasant.

I don't know, but it bothers me every time. And yeah, this game had a lot of weird things going on. The weirdest of all (aside from maybe the net they had to replace) was Ian accidentally levelling that ref. I don't know if anyone else saw his face when he went back to the huddle, but he looked like mortified, like he'd just ruined someone's surprise party or something. It appeared that his family was in attendance as well, so he might have been afraid his mom was going to chew him out. :tongue:

One final note, the frat boys in the row next to us spent nearly the whole night yelling “Vazqueer!” Just thought everyone would like to know.

Did anybody else see the drunk frat kid that security led him out of the arena. It was to my left and I was in section 116. He was sitting on the steps with his head down in his hands between his legs… FUNNY!!! He probably wasn’t even 21. What a way to give yourself away if you aren’t. And this was like with 6 minutes to go in the game.