great job by Lutz

Look at the box score and the minutes played and I think it was the perfect blend of minutes. Curt should have had 5-8 more but with the foul trouble he left him on the bench in a close game. Great job Bobby !!!

Great job by Bobby & the coaching staff. Great job by the players. Great job by the fans. Just a great day altogether.

Good point. Well coached game by Lutz. He gets a lot of bull$#@ when we lose, and some of it may be deserved. However, hats off to Bobby. His tech seemed to fire up the crowd & get the refs back in line (not that the refs were anything to write home about) and he had the confidence to let Leemire run the point in order to give Mitch a rest, even after Cincy ate him up in the previous game. Good substitution patterns - nice mix of Iti/Nance and Withers/Drayton. He mentioned in the post game show about how everyone wanted him fired after the ECU game. Where are all the idiots who want Jay Bilas coaching us now. Nothing against Jay, but I think Lutz proved who our coach is and should be.

If WE had lost this game by one point, I would have written coach a letter he would not soon forget for giving up 2 points on his T. He dodged a bullet, friends.

sorry, but a T early in a game does not cost you the game. In the last 5 minutes maybe but the first 5, come on. In fact, that T probably was a good one. That was a bullshit call and I feel we had a few go our way after that.

[i]Originally posted by minerniner[/i]@Feb 6 2005, 09:26 PM [b] sorry, but a T early in a game does not cost you the game. In the last 5 minutes maybe but the first 5, come on. In fact, that T probably was a good one. That was a bullshit call and I feel we had a few go our way after that. [/b]
2 more points scored by sincy ANYTIME during this game, for ANY reason would have won it for them.

Best move by Coach Lutz. 7 minutes left, Curt picks up his 4th foul. Hicks for Cincinatti already has 4 and is on the bench. Perfect time to protect Curt, Coach decides to make the bold and unorthodox decision to keep Curt in. Curt doesn’t pick up another foul and ends up making some critical plays down the stretch (including pushing Kirkland to his offhand on the last play) that helps us win the game. Coach Lutz coached this game excellently.

[i]Originally posted by 49er1+Feb 6 2005, 09:32 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (49er1 @ Feb 6 2005, 09:32 PM)

Agreed Anborn. That 2-pt statement is just silly. I believe in early Ts to set the tone. It’s the ones at the end of a game that generally hurt the most.

Cincy plays physical and has a short to non existent bench. We needed this game called closely to have our best chance of winning. If getting a “T” early helps you get the game called more closely because it looks like it might be getting out of hand and favor your tempo and chances I have no problem with it.

[i]Originally posted by JKniner[/i]@Feb 5 2005, 10:42 PM [b] Look at the box score and the minutes played and I think it was the perfect blend of minutes. Curt should have had 5-8 more but with the foul trouble he left him on the bench in a close game. Great job Bobby !!! [/b]
I agree. Great game by Coach. His decisions worked out well. I think the T helped us. I saw the refs listening to him after that. The ref acknolwedged several times that he would watch things Lutz was pointing out. We also got a few make-up calls (travel call on UC & the touch foul on Drayton's break-away lay-up).

We survived the stetches without Withers. Drayton was strong in the first half. The Nance/Iti combination was fairly effective.

I would have liked to see the ball in Eddie’s hands a little more down the stretch and Plavich may have taken 2 too many threes in that little stretch. Baldwin just barely missed that last driving lay-up…so it was good to see that play run. Mitch was VERY GOOD!

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Feb 7 2005, 08:38 AM [b]

We survived the stetches without Withers. [/b]

Yeah, Withers saved us when he started guarding Hicks in the second half. Withers is an amazing defender. It’s a shame he couldn’t guard Hicks and Max. He shut him down in the second half.

It was nice to see one of our low post players just put a body on him and deny him a low post presence.

[b]sorry, but a T early in a game does not cost you the game. In the last 5 minutes maybe but the first 5, come on.[/b]

What’s the difference when it occurs? It is still two points from an outside agent that have no business deciding a game. Especially when it is just because Bobby can’t control his temper.

It’s bad enough when players get T’s but atleast they are part of the game and their emotions are more understandable as they are competing.

[b] In fact, that T probably was a good one.[/b]

Why? Please don’t give me the same tired cliche about firing up the team or how it earns the respect of the officials. It usually has more of a negative effect on the officials and the players could usually care less.

You can make a point to an official without costing your team 2 points and possibly a possession.

Tell me this, if we had lost the game by a point after receiving a T for a fan throwing something on the floor would you blame that fan for costing us the game?

Of course you would and there is no difference.

[i]Originally posted by 49erpi[/i]@Feb 7 2005, 07:38 PM [b] Tell me this, if we had lost the game by a point after receiving a T for a fan throwing something on the floor would you blame that fan for costing us the game?

Of course you would and there is no difference. [/b]

I think there’s a difference. If a fan had gotten a T, he would have deserved it (just like Bobby did), except that wouldn’t get the players or crowd fired up.

A coach getting a T has a whole different effect.

i don’t know but that football hitting the ref sure got the fans fired up, huggins may have even smirked at that one.

I thought the defense played a little flat unti “the T.” Not only did it let 2 of the 3 officials know this was our house, but it usually fires a team up. Coach Lutz is a damn good coach. No, not great at x’s and o’s, but a great recruiter. A program of Charlotte’s means and size doing well perannually near so many traditional powers is quite a herculean task.

yeah… i also noticed he was firing up the student section before the game… i haven’t really seen that out of him much

Lutz has calmed down a lot since last year. He barely gets involved with the students. At least once ever other game last year he would pump his fist at the students or tell us to get loud.

We also averaged a tech a game for most of the season last year.

[b]I thought the defense played a little flat unti "the T."[/b]

I’m not sure we were watching the same game because the defense was flat most of the night including the entire 1st half.

We gave up 90 points and allowed a marginal outside shooting team to light us up. We just outscored them by executing on the offensive end and going 25-28 from the FT line.

[b] Not only did it let 2 of the 3 officials know this was our house[/b]

If this means pissed them off so they called a shaky game against us, then I agree. (see: Alabama game film)

don’t worry about the t’s that much it fires up the team and the fans. Would you rather have a coach just sit still on the bench. We are building a program here and Bobby is doing a great job, if he can manage to just get a few of his top recruting targets we would make a big leap. A tourny run this year would have to help recruting in a big way, and we have the team to make a deep run. This is a better team than the rodney one, and is on par with that demarco team that took #1 carolina to ot in the second round.